Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    R.I.P. Little Richard

    He was 87 years old. NY Times obituary. One of the most influential and certainly the most flamboyant of the rock and roll pioneers -- Tutti Frutti, Long Tall Sally, Good Golly Miss Molly, Ready Teddy and more. Very influential on James Brown and many others -- even Paul McCartney.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC

    Little Richard R.I.P

    We've lost a true pioneer of Rock and Roll.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=spartandhp

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    We've lost a true pioneer of Rock and Roll.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=spartandhp
    Sad. Who is left from the first generation of rock?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Sad. Who is left from the first generation of rock?
    Jerry Lee Lewis.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Jerry Lee Lewis.
    Don Everly is still around. Phil died in 2014.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Sad. Who is left from the first generation of rock?
    Elvis14...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Sad. Who is left from the first generation of rock?
    Popular singer and actor, who did cover some Little Richard songs -- Pat Boone. Born June 1, 1934. Sold a ton or records, a lot of them covers of other artists, and had a popular TV show. It is said (Wikipedia) that Elvis Presley opened for him in Cleveland in 1955.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Sad. Who is left from the first generation of rock?
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Popular singer and actor, who did cover some Little Richard songs -- Pat Boone. Born June 1, 1934. Sold a ton or records, a lot of them covers of other artists, and had a popular TV show. It is said (Wikipedia) that Elvis Presley opened for him in Cleveland in 1955.
    Surely you jest.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Surely you jest.
    Don't you give me a hard time -- I didn't say, "rock and roll legend." I said, on purpose, "popular singer and actor." Actually I agree with you -- sixty years ago I loved Elvis Presley and hated Pat Boone.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Little Richard with his opening band, Hamburg, 1962:

    087441D1-8EE2-4C7F-88A6-7ED44538DFA4.jpg

    (side note, Ringo had just replaced Pete Best)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don't you give me a hard time -- I didn't say, "rock and roll legend." I said, on purpose, "popular singer and actor." Actually I agree with you -- sixty years ago I loved Elvis Presley and hated Pat Boone.
    I'm sure there are other popular singers and actors from the 1950s still alive.

    That wasn't the question.

    Even with the qualifier Pat Boone belongs nowhere near any discussion of rock legends of the 1950s.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Chubby Checker is still with us.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Little Richard with his opening band, Hamburg, 1962:

    087441D1-8EE2-4C7F-88A6-7ED44538DFA4.jpg

    (side note, Ringo had just replaced Pete Best)
    An hour ago, I asked Mrs. dd who she thought might have been the opening act for Little Richard in one of his concerts from the early 60s. She was stunned with the answer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Little Richard with his opening band, Hamburg, 1962:

    087441D1-8EE2-4C7F-88A6-7ED44538DFA4.jpg

    (side note, Ringo had just replaced Pete Best)
    As a side bar, who was the opening act for 8 of the 29 shows during the Monkees' tour in the summer of 1967?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers is still alive and still performing. Bobby Hatfield the other half of the duo passed away in November 2003 from a heart attack brought on by cocaine. He was supposed to have gone on stage that night with Bill. Bucky Heard now sings with Hatfield.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As a side bar, who was the opening act for 8 of the 29 shows during the Monkees' tour in the summer of 1967?
    Hendrix opening for the Monkees is pretty well known. Is there a curveball here?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers is still alive and still performing. Bobby Hatfield the other half of the duo passed away in November 2003 from a heart attack brought on by cocaine. He was supposed to have gone on stage that night with Bill. Bucky Heard now sings with Hatfield.
    The Righteous Brothers began performing in 1962. I'm not sure they qualify as founders of rock. If we're including them then we're including the surviving members of the Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Dion DiMucci, even Dylan.

    I think going past the 1950s stretches the definition of "first generation of rock" too far.

    As always, YMMV.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The Righteous Brothers began performing in 1962. I'm not sure they qualify as founders of rock. If we're including them then we're including the surviving members of the Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Dion DiMucci, even Dylan.

    I think going past the 1950s stretches the definition of "first generation of rock" too far.

    As always, YMMV.
    I think I'm through posting today. Well at least until you go to bed. Have a great day and GoDuke!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hendrix opening for the Monkees is pretty well known. Is there a curveball here?
    No curveball. Fast ball straight down the pipe. I learned last year that Jimi opened for the Monkees on that tour. Color me slow .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    06A98637-65E4-4CF0-9ADC-1D4CAA2DCA31.jpg

    Jimi Hendrix played in Little Richardís band for awhile. This is the Fillmore, 1965.

Similar Threads

  1. Richard Wright - RIP
    By colchar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
  2. Lorenzo Brown & Richard Howell
    By wolfpackdevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
  3. Going to See Richard Dawkins in March
    By jzp5079 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM
  4. Richard Jefferson Gives $3.5M to AZ
    By dukemomLA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •