Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBWorld View Post
    I could continue to counter but I think I have my answer. Anything more would just be time wasted. Thank you Duke fans for responding. It was an idea that is just not going to get any traction. If Duke fans aren't interested nobody else will be either. Take care be safe.
    To be clear, Duke fans and other college basketball fans would love to see an NCAA tournament when it's safe to hold one. The problem isn't and wouldn't be fan enthusiasm. The problem is that all your assumptions about the viability of your plan are wrong. Your assumptions are the problem, not us. Take care.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    To be clear, Duke fans and other college basketball fans would love to see an NCAA tournament when it's safe to hold one. The problem isn't and wouldn't be fan enthusiasm. The problem is that all your assumptions about the viability of your plan are wrong. Your assumptions are the problem, not us. Take care.
    Duke fans are maybe the best fans in the country... or anywhere. What I am saying is that if the best fans out there are not interested in my idea then I don't really want to present it to others. This is where I decided to run my trial case and I have my answer. I go away knowing what the problem is with my idea and I am disappointed yet satisfied if that makes any sense.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    To be clear, Duke fans and other college basketball fans would love to see an NCAA tournament when it's safe to hold one. The problem isn't and wouldn't be fan enthusiasm.
    Yeah, I will second this. I would want little more in this world than to get a tournament. Those first two days of the NCAA tourney are two of my favorite days of the year. It is glorious.

    But, very sadly, it just isn’t going to happen, for the reasons laid out in this thread. It is a nice dream, and I would love to see it happen. But unfortunately it just has no chance. If it ever had a chance, the door was closed when the NCAA officially cancelled the rest of the season. That ended it. No going back now.

    I certainly share the OP’s disappoint in the reality of the situation. But what we have to hope for now is a successful vaccine and/or treatment such that NEXT season happens.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    The biggest problem is money. The time for the tournament has passed. Other forces out there still want to make theirs. If the tourney is possible, so is NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, not to mention the other leagues with TV contracts, salaries, stadiums, vendors, etc. Budweiser doesn't care who shows their ads, as long as they are shown. CBS doesn't care what games are shown, as long as America watches. As much as I love the tourney, I know the pro leagues draw more viewers. And not to mention college football, which has a lot more eyes on screens, butts in seats and sales in stadiums than hoops. Money talks, and those other leagues won't stand for the tourney taking money away from them. And the networks will follow them.

    Throw in the part about seniors graduating, guys getting agents (and getting drafted) and freshmen coming in (how many scholarships will be available?), and it's not even feasible.

    9F
    Bucket List - Throw a party when Duke MBB has a winning record against Carolina.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBWorld View Post
    All the other big events are at least planning it out. Kentucky Derby is set for Labor Day weekend and they expect to fill the place up.
    I thank you for your enthusiasm for wanting to see the 2020 NCAAT this year but I don't think it will happen and for the reasons DBR folks have mentioned. As for the Kentucky Derby that is run out of doors. The same for MLB if that is approved and those games will be spectator free. I hate the Covid-19 not just for not playing my favorite tournament of them all but for the lives it has taken. I too, wanted to see my Duke Blue Devils try to get that 6th ring and banner but it was not to be. So as Coach K says, "Next Play".

    GoDuke!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    The biggest problem is money. The time for the tournament has passed. Other forces out there still want to make theirs. If the tourney is possible, so is NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, not to mention the other leagues with TV contracts, salaries, stadiums, vendors, etc. Budweiser doesn't care who shows their ads, as long as they are shown. CBS doesn't care what games are shown, as long as America watches. As much as I love the tourney, I know the pro leagues draw more viewers. And not to mention college football, which has a lot more eyes on screens, butts in seats and sales in stadiums than hoops. Money talks, and those other leagues won't stand for the tourney taking money away from them. And the networks will follow them.

    Throw in the part about seniors graduating, guys getting agents (and getting drafted) and freshmen coming in (how many scholarships will be available?), and it's not even feasible.

    9F
    From a viewership perspective, the NCAA tournament definitely draws more viewers than the MLB regular season (which would be the only competitor during that late-July/early-August window). The NFL and college football wouldn't be started yet. So while I obviously agree that it is not feasible, a lack of viewership is not one of the reasons that this won't happen.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    From a viewership perspective, the NCAA tournament definitely draws more viewers than the MLB regular season (which would be the only competitor during that late-July/early-August window). The NFL and college football wouldn't be started yet. So while I obviously agree that it is not feasible, a lack of viewership is not one of the reasons that this won't happen.
    I think you are thinking traditionally as far as "only competitor". I believe all leagues will want to try and get their seasons in. It would not surprise me if the NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. play games in August. It may sound crazy, but it's about as crazy as the notion of America sequestered at home for 2+ months. The pros may sacrifice their next season's full slate of games to get games in from this season. Professional owners will just look at the number of total games over the 2 seasons (this COVID one and the next) and as long as they get more than season's worth (including 2 post-seasons), they will push. And as far as viewership, it's the competition for viewership. People may want to watch the tourney, but that's not what the money (owners, players, networks, advertisers, ec.) care about. They just want to sell their product. Again, it's money that drives the world and thus drives sports.

    9F
    Bucket List - Throw a party when Duke MBB has a winning record against Carolina.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I think you are thinking traditionally as far as "only competitor". I believe all leagues will want to try and get their seasons in. It would not surprise me if the NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. play games in August. It may sound crazy, but it's about as crazy as the notion of America sequestered at home for 2+ months. The pros may sacrifice their next season's full slate of games to get games in from this season. Professional owners will just look at the number of total games over the 2 seasons (this COVID one and the next) and as long as they get more than season's worth (including 2 post-seasons), they will push. And as far as viewership, it's the competition for viewership. People may want to watch the tourney, but that's not what the money (owners, players, networks, advertisers, ec.) care about. They just want to sell their product. Again, it's money that drives the world and thus drives sports.

    9F
    The only things that beat the NCAA tournament in viewership is the NFL, possibly college football, and certain matchups of the NBA playoffs. MLB regular season, NBA regular season, and NHL any season wouldn't compete at all. Getting viewership for an NCAA tournament would not be the problem - even if those other sports were in competition (since the NFL and college football wouldn't be in competition).

Similar Threads

  1. Other People's NCAA Hoops - 2019-2020
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 385
    Last Post: 03-08-2020, 11:59 AM
  2. Around the NCAA: 2019-2020 Edition
    By ChillinDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2019, 07:44 PM
  3. NCAA D1 Rule Changes for 2019-2020
    By kAzE in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
  4. Duke in ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament -- just the facts
    By tobers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
  5. Duke Basketball NCAA Tournament Guide
    By juise in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •