Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Baker can't play SG. Not because he can't do it offensively, but because he can't do it defensively. He's a SF/PF at the college level defensively. If he's your SG, that means you have 3 guys even less suited to defend guards on the court with him.
    Are you suggesting he is better suited to defend power forwards than shooting guards? I'm going to have to hard disagree on that. He doesn't have the size or the strength to guard most college power forwards, no way is he better suited to defend the PF position than the SG position. I do agree that he is better suited for defending the SF position than either of the others, but ultimately I think you can stop worrying about what position he is best suited for and just accept that Baker isn't (yet, at least) a plus defender and whatever position he is defending the other team will have an offensive advantage at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I think Cassius could be Exhibit A when Coach K reminds people that the end of the OAD Rule will not end OADs. The emergence of the G League as a real tool for the NBA not only to develop players but to allow more guys to get some shot at the NBA level over the course of the season also has changed the equation on projected draft pick tempting players to declare.

I fully support Cassius and think he is undervalued in draft projections, but if he ends up going in the 2nd round, I have to think the long-term better decision would be to return. I think he could move up very safely into the 1st round next year, and being a high-teens ppg featured scorer with lots of highlight dunks for a Duke team that would be ensconced in the top 5 would have boosted his out-of-the-gate marketability.

I'm sure he has some inside intel from Duke and his dad on where he might go, so maybe he has a solid feel that he will go in the 1st round. Regardless, I think he has the talent to have a long NBA career whenever he left. First world problems.
    I would be shocked to see Stanley go in the 2nd round. Too much athleticism. I expect him to go in the top 20 at least.

As far as Cassius, yes good luck. Good luck to all those who have declared this year. Dreams fulfilled. Watching old games on television this past week, though, showed me how much better the college and nba game was before the mass exodus to pay for play. Watching the 2001 Duke/Maryland game showed me that Cassius would have been an upperclassman... coming off the bench.

Can one return to college play if not happy with the draft outcome? Seems tough on the pro team which loses out on that draft choice. Not that I care much.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Are you suggesting he is better suited to defend power forwards than shooting guards? I'm going to have to hard disagree on that. He doesn't have the size or the strength to guard most college power forwards, no way is he better suited to defend the PF position than the SG position.
    Yes, I am indeed suggesting that Baker is better suited to defend college PFs than he is to defend college SGs. For reference, Baker is listed at 6'7", 208lb. He'll probably weigh a bit more next year (let's say 210 for simplicity). The average height and weight of starting PFs in the ACC this year was 6'8", 217lb. So, yeah, I feel quite confident that Baker is big enough and strong enough to play the PF spot in college. There are just a couple of schools in which his size would cause him trouble at PF (UNC being perhaps the only one for sure). It's just not a position that is home to a bunch of brutes these days.

But beyond just the height/weight strength question, I generally think it is easier to compete with size limitations than it is with quickness limitations. So while I don't think Baker would be a good defender at PF, I think he'd be less bad there than at SG (where his quickness disadvantage would get exploited by quicker players who are also good ballhandlers).

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Can one return to college play if not happy with the draft outcome? Seems tough on the pro team which loses out on that draft choice. Not that I care much.
    The recent rule was if you were invited to the NBA combine AND you don't get drafted, you could return. You cannot return if (a) you don't get invited to the combine or (b) you get drafted.

But it's a moot point: when Duke guys have declared, they've stayed in.

Good luck to Cassius, gonna miss him.I am really sad that he, Vernon, and Tre didn't get the opportunity to play in the post season this year,along with Jack,Javin,and JRob.But,these are different times and different days. I will look forward to next season, providing there is a next season.😢

The recent rule was if you were invited to the NBA combine AND you don't get drafted, you could return. You cannot return if (a) you don't get invited to the combine or (b) you get drafted.

Sorry if this has been posted -- has there been a date established for the NBA Draft? Any announcements pertaining to the combine?

Please keep the coronavirus discussion, which was the subject of several now deleted posts, off this thread, thanks.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

DeLaurier came back after declaring. But I suspect he didn't start a trend. I also have no expectation of Stanley returning.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted -- has there been a date established for the NBA Draft? Any announcements pertaining to the combine?
    Still hasn’t been rescheduled yet as far as I have seen, so still June 25 as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    DeLaurier came back after declaring. But I suspect he didn't start a trend. I also have no expectation of Stanley returning.
    If I remember correctly, he came back prior to the deadline by which you had to withdraw your name. Once that deadline passes then you are bound by the rules that CDu mentioned.

Very few players have ever gone through the whole draft process, gone undrafted and then returned to school. I can think of maybe three or four times ever (and I can't even recall the players' names). Maybe one was a player at Kansas last season who returned but then left the team during the season for some unrelated reason. Agree that I have zero expectation of Stanley doing this.

As a random theoretical question, I wonder what would happen if he hired his father as his agent but then decided he wanted to return to school?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep, good call on DeLaurier. He had basically no chance of getting drafted at all, so I had forgotten his water-testing. But yeah, I think he's the only one that has done it. Everyone else has stayed in when they declared. And everyone who has declared with multiple years left (i.e., those not in the "I've got only one year left, so it makes sense to explore it with my one free pass" category) has stayed in. As you note and I agree, Stanley is almost certainly not coming back.

Not sure there is a good enough reason for him to return. Although another year of training at Duke and playing another season could help in his development, but eh can get all of those things while on an NBA roster or in a G League. His father is an agent and as a family they did their work to get all of the necessary feedback. Cassius will be good in he NBA where they spread the floor and drill penetrate.

I wish him all the best.

Yep, good call on DeLaurier. He had basically no chance of getting drafted at all, so I had forgotten his water-testing. But yeah, I think he's the only one that has done it. Everyone else has stayed in when they declared. And everyone who has declared with multiple years left (i.e., those not in the "I've got only one year left, so it makes sense to explore it with my one free pass" category) has stayed in. As you note and I agree, Stanley is almost certainly not coming back.
    Javin also didn’t do a highly produced social media farewell.