Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I just emptied one of my traps that had half dozen carpenter bees in it plus other beasties.

Sprayed my wood eaves and porch down with the scented oil mix. They always seem to thwart me but I feel like I’m giving my best effort this year. Giving as good as I get.
    You have inspired me to work on this over the holiday weekend. Which scented oils did you use? I have been making my own body anti-bug stuff with witch hazel, lemon eucalyptus oil and oil of clove. It has worked great and I don't have to worry about washing it off before bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You have inspired me to work on this over the holiday weekend. Which scented oils did you use? I have been making my own body anti-bug stuff with witch hazel, lemon eucalyptus oil and oil of clove. It has worked great and I don't have to worry about washing it off before bedtime.
    Hah, hah. Lay waste to those beasties!

Lavendar, citronella, tea tree, and jojoba. We do a 2:2:1:1 ratio in the order I just listed.

Just found a nest of bumblebees...what to do?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Let ‘em bee?

(They don’t get mean and they won’t eat your house.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Let ‘em bee?
    Are you speaking worlds of wisdom?

As long as they are not in a high traffic area, let them live. Good pollen spreaders, and mild tempered.

Bumble bees or carpenter bees. Years ago my neighbor who was in her 60s let one of the carpenter bees land in her hand and it would not sting her. You can tell the the difference by their color. The bumble bee has a hairy yellow stomach and the carpenter bee has a shiny black stomach. I'm still not going to pick up any thing that will bite or sting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    A residual spray like Demon WP works well. Or, certain types of dust placed in active holes. Tennis rackets do wonders..lol
    Kudos to the tennis racket recommendation. I take one down to the pool or out on the porch with me and it’s a whole way of life now...damn fun, too!

Neighbors probably think I’m nuts swinging away like an idiot at empty air but what’re you going to do.

A badminton racket might be better. Quicker and more wristy.

Aside: Does anyone besides me remember the badminton skills of the equipment guys who manned the Card entry desk in the '60s? They had unbelievable badminton skills. Even varsity athletes couldn't beat them. One of them was called "Tiny," counter-referencing his girth. I can't recall the other's name or nickname--his waist was about the same.

I’m doing a pretty good job taking on my carpenter bees this season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This thread is as good as any.

Guess what? Yellow Jackets like beer! (Don't we all?)

So while camping this past weekend, I had my beer bottle sitting out (protected by a Duke coozie, thank you very much) as I tended to other camperly things, which didn't include drinking from said bottle.
    I don't know how long I was away from it, but probably between 5 and 10 minutes. Thirst struck me, so I went to quench it.

Thankfully, faster than I could fully swallow, I felt something nail the back of my tongue. While it had never dawned on me that something like it could happen, before I spit it all out I knew exactly what I expected to see.
    "Phhhhhhhhhhltttt!"
    And there it was, floundering in my newly created puddle. A drunken yellow jacket.

This morning, after a very long Benadryl induced sleep, everything in my throat was swollen, even more so than just my tongue the night before. In fact, as I walked, my neck jiggled from all the excess fluid that had built up. I was probably very lucky. Like I said, as soon as I felt the sting, I knew what happened, and what would likely happen. Within 30 minutes, my tongue was swollen so much that I couldn't talk clearly. I know my own personal reactions to wasps and yellow jackets (swelling but not threatening), so I wasn't in any great urge to rush off to an ER, but I could see how that might quickly be the only option for someone more reactive.

Long story short...if you see any in your vicinity, check your drink before taking a sip, or better yet, pour into a glass and chuck your can/bottle. I was lucky. Luckier than the bastard yellow jacket who's now way dead. I can see how that might be a dual journey.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This thread is as good as any.

Guess what? Yellow Jackets like beer! (Don't we all?)

So while camping this past weekend, I had my beer bottle sitting out (protected by a Duke coozie, thank you very much) as I tended to other camperly things, which didn't include drinking from said bottle.
    I don't know how long I was away from it, but probably between 5 and 10 minutes. Thirst struck me, so I went to quench it.

Thankfully, faster than I could fully swallow, I felt something nail the back of my tongue. While it had never dawned on me that something like it could happen, before I spit it all out I knew exactly what I expected to see.
    "Phhhhhhhhhhltttt!"
    And there it was, floundering in my newly created puddle. A drunken yellow jacket.

This morning, after a very long Benadryl induced sleep, everything in my throat was swollen, even more so than just my tongue the night before. In fact, as I walked, my neck jiggled from all the excess fluid that had built up. I was probably very lucky. Like I said, as soon as I felt the sting, I knew what happened, and what would likely happen. Within 30 minutes, my tongue was swollen so much that I couldn't talk clearly. I know my own personal reactions to wasps and yellow jackets (swelling but not threatening), so I wasn't in any great urge to rush off to an ER, but I could see how that might quickly be the only option for someone more reactive.

Long story short...if you see any in your vicinity, check your drink before taking a sip, or better yet, pour into a glass and chuck your can/bottle. I was lucky. Luckier than the bastard yellow jacket who's now way dead. I can see how that might be a dual journey.
    Hope you get on the mend and glad it wasn’t more serious.

A lot of animals get drunk, yellow jackets included. One of my dogwoods produces a fruit. In a few week they’ll be overripe and everything from yellow jackets to raccoons feast on them —- and get drunk on the fermenting sugars. The jackets can’t fly and wobble around on the ground. The raccoons look at you funny and can’t climb well. It’s a regular bar.

My wife swallowed a yellow jacket in a glass of wine. That was a panicked trip to the urgent care. It all worked out fine, but she dang sure triple checks her beverages now.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hope you get on the mend and glad it wasn’t more serious.

A lot of animals get drunk, yellow jackets included. One of my dogwoods produces a fruit. In a few week they’ll be overripe and everything from yellow jackets to raccoons feast on them —- and get drunk on the fermenting sugars. The jackets can’t fly and wobble around on the ground. The raccoons look at you funny and can’t climb well. It’s a regular bar.
    I spent the better part of a month in 2014 watching drunken animals on youtube. I think the resort monkeys are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My wife swallowed a yellow jacket in a glass of wine. That was a panicked trip to the urgent care. It all worked out fine, but she dang sure triple checks her beverages now.
    Books, clipboards, envelopes, and even larger inverted cups can make very good anti-wasp shields. They prevent one from having moments of non-vigilance, particularly when children are involved.

We have had a very dry year here and a mild August which is probably why we haven't had very many yellowjackets compare to normal.
    Have not had to deploy any of my usual yellowjacket countermeasures.

What has been causing me pain this year is gophers. I have finally learned how to successfully trap them though and have started to turn the tide.
    gopherhawk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I spent the better part of a month in 2014 watching drunken animals on youtube. I think the resort monkeys are my favorite.

Thank you. Now I’m going to spend the better part of this month doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    What has been causing me pain this year is gophers. I have finally learned how to successfully trap them though and have started to turn the tide.
    gopherhawk.jpg
    Don’t blow up the whole golf course, Carl — er, Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Don’t blow up the whole golf course, Carl — er, Wayne.
    Youtube actually suggested some videos of that last night. Some sort of product named the Rodenator that pumps propane underground and then explodes it to kill moles/gophers concussively. Looks like the company making it went out of business so people are making their own.