Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AP writers vote on best NCAA Tournament games in history

Duke-Kentucky #2.

Should be #1 of course.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ap-was...-103/19042439/
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-05-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Duke-Kentucky #2.

Should be #1 of course.

Yes, a no brainer and the next should be Duke vs. UNLV 1991. I don't put too much stock into the AP voters anyway. There's no way in hades that Coach K shouldn't have a AP National Coach of the Year award. Must be those academic scum bags from UNcheat.

GoDuke!

Duke-Kentucky #2.

Should be #1 of course.

I clicked around a bit to try to find the full list but couldn't find it. Are they published one at a time or something?

I'm assuming the Nova-UNC game is 1 on account of the ending? As good as Duke-UK was, it's hard to beat the stakes of a national championship on a buzzer beater.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes, a no brainer and the next should be Duke vs. UNLV 1991. I don't put too much stock into the AP voters anyway. There's no way in hades that Coach K shouldn't have a AP National Coach of the Year award. Must be those academic scum bags from UNcheat.

GoDuke!
    Agree; an impossible to believe statement, K has never won AP national coach of the year. Think about the early years, particularly 1984 (huge improvement from previous year) and 1986. Or 1997, similar regular season improvement, 1999 (best regular season for Duke). Whatever metric you may want to use (most improved team from previous year or best team in regular season, he’s done it). Shows the fallacy of sportswriter voted awards.

I doubt there’s any circumstance in which AP votes him this award in his remaining 10 years.

The full CoY list is here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asso...ch_of_the_Year

Remember that they vote prior to knowing the NCAA tournament outcome, so that discounts Duke seasons like 1991. But it should also inflate seasons like 1986 and 1999. I think the most indefensible K loss is probably 1992. But how much is an award that has been won by Head Coach Matt Doherty really worth? Lol
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 04-05-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I clicked around a bit to try to find the full list but couldn't find it. Are they published one at a time or something?

I'm assuming the Nova-UNC game is 1 on account of the ending? As good as Duke-UK was, it's hard to beat the stakes of a national championship on a buzzer beater.
    I can't find the full list either but I just saw Villanova-UNC was #1.

That is pure recency bias. That game had a dramatic ending but it was not even close to as well-played as Duke-Kentucky. Duke-Kentucky featured two good defensive teams who were simply unable to stifle the truly exceptional execution of the other team's offense. Yes, you could say there defensive breakdowns--there are in any game--but the staggering level of execution, the pace, the momentum swings, an overtime more dramatic than any Hollywood script could create, and the otherworldly ending, including the buzzer beater capping a perfect-from-the-floor shooting game from arguably the greatest tournament player ever... I mean I honestly don't think any other game is really that close.

I'll concede some bias, of course. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I almost wish I hadn't seen it because it just annoys me.
    Last edited by bullettoothtony; 04-05-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Duke can't help it if the opposing team in the final game of the Final Four can't give us a nail bitter game.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The full CoY list is here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asso...ch_of_the_Year

Remember that they vote prior to knowing the NCAA tournament outcome, so that discounts Duke seasons like 1991. But it should also inflate seasons like 1986 and 1999. I think the most indefensible K loss is probably 1992. But how much is an award that has been won by Head Coach Matt Doherty really worth? Lol
    It is also amazing that Coach K has not been named ACC COY since the 99-00 season. He has won the award 5 times overall but none in 20 years just doesn’t seem right. SMH.

One game that deserves sneaking in with an asterisk is the stupendous NC State win over Maryland, 103-100 in OT in 1974 to win the ACC tournament...only the winner of the ACC Tournament could go the NCAAs back then, so it was in essence a qualifying/playin tiff...many thought those were the two best teams in the country that year..

I think it would be fair to say that was probably the best ACC game ever...

That is pure recency bias. That game had a dramatic ending but it was not even close to as well-played as Duke-Kentucky. Duke-Kentucky featured two good defensive teams who were simply unable to stifle the truly exceptional execution of the other team's offense. Yes, you could say there defensive breakdowns--there are in any game--but the staggering level of execution, the pace, the momentum swings, an overtime more dramatic than any Hollywood script could create, and the otherworldly ending, including the buzzer beater capping a perfect-from-the-floor shooting game from arguably the greatest tournament player ever... I mean I honestly don't think any other game is really that close.

100% agree, although my irritation is tempered by the fact that their top 2 games include an epic Duke win and and epic XNC loss. Both are fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    It is also amazing that Coach K has not been named ACC COY since the 99-00 season. He has won the award 5 times overall but none in 20 years just doesn’t seem right. SMH.
    Coach is in a different universe after he became the national team coach and rebuilt the U.S. National team from the ground up -- then winning three Olympic goals.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

UNC-Villanova isn't even in the top 5 tournament games of all time.

Kansas-UNC in 1957 was a national championship game that went to 3 OTs.
    The 1963 Loyola - Cincy championship game also went to OT and was decided on a last second shot.
    NC State - Houston was decided on the last shot and is perhaps the greatest national championship upset in history.
    Actually, Villanova - Georgetown is probably the greatest championship game upset in history.

I would put the UNC-Villanova game on par with Duke-Butler in 2010, Syracuse-Indiana in 1987, UNC over Georgetown on Michael Jordan's freshman jumper, and perhaps even the Kansas-Memphis OT game in 2008.

And that is just championship games. There are a myriad of other amazing tournament games like Duke-Kentucky 1992, the 1991 Duke-UNLV Final Four, the 1977 Marquette-UNC-Charlotte Final Four game that was also decided on a length of court pass in the final seconds, NC State beating UCLA in 2 OTs in the Final Four in 1974... I could go on and on.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-05-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Coach is in a different universe after he became the national team coach and rebuilt the U.S. National team from the ground up -- then winning three Olympic goals.
    Coach K will not win another ACC COY unless Duke goes undefeated in conference play (or maybe 1 loss). Even then he would be no more than 50-50 to win the award as someone expected to win 4 games will win 7 or 8 games and get a lot of votes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

The 1963 Loyola - Cincy championship game also went to OT and was decided on a last second shot.
    NC State - Houston was decided on the last shot and is perhaps the greatest national championship upset in history.
    Actually, Villanova - Georgetown is probably the greatest championship game upset in history.

I would put the UNC-Villanova game on par with Duke-Butler in 2010, Syracuse-Indiana in 1987, UNC over Georgetown on Michael Jordan's freshman jumper, and perhaps even the Kansas-Memphis OT game in 2008.

And that is just championship games. There are a myriad of other amazing tournament games like Duke-Kentucky 1992, the 1991 Duke-UNLV Final Four, the 1977 Marquette-UNC-Charlotte Final Four game that was also decided on a length of court pass in the final seconds, NC State beating UCLA in 2 OTs in the Final Four in 1974... I could go on and on.
    look, i'm not going to fight UNC losing a title on a last second shot being pumped up, by any means. Roll that replay all day.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    look, i'm not going to fight UNC losing a title on a last second shot being pumped up, by any means. Roll that replay all day.
    Same. Not deserving as a game, but certainly deserves a place in our hearts!

I'd add in the 1997 Zona-UK Championship game. Zona beats three #1 seeds in a row to claim the title in overtime. They lose and Kentucky threepeats.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    100% agree, although my irritation is tempered by the fact that their top 2 games include an epic Duke win and and epic XNC loss. Both are fond memories.

I'm surprised so many folks are surprised by the selection of UNC-Nova. I agree with others here that it might not be the best played game but if you got a bunch of folks together with different opinions on defining "best game" for March Madness, it makes sense that only buzzer beater for National Championship in tournament history gets it.

And, we should really count our blessings. If Hayward hits that half-court runner, Duke-Butler is number 1 on this list. As it stands, number 1 is UNC getting their throats ripped out and Duke ripping UK's throats out. I can sleep at night with that result!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Absolutely. The ending of Villanova v UNC provided one of my all-time most joyous sports moments. It was truly sublime.

I don't have a huge problem with Villanova-Carolina making the list, but it is laughable to have it #1.

Again, it's recency bias. There are a number of games ahead of it. N.C. State-Houston without question. I think Duke-UNLV was much better, given UNLV being undefeated and the quality of the game (fascinating combination of defensive strategies and adjustments and often excellent offensive execution by both teams). Just to name a couple.

Well, UNC/Nova was two great shots back to back. Like Kentucky 1992. But for the big trophy.

Non-issue for me.