Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Just a reminder, if you're waiting to renew your season tickets until just before the end of the "cheapest period", that's just over a week away. Tickets are no longer cheap if you sit in reserved seats under cover, and haven't been since the renovations to Wally Wade were complete. But prices go up in 10 days. If the season is cancelled, I would hope that Duke would refund the ticket cost.
    The deadline was extended to 5/11. https://goduke.com/news/2020/3/24/du...-extended.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    some of us were guessing that they'd want to use the money to pay for next season's tickets...but that's only a guess...
    All of my Duke-related tickets were refunded. I don't expect college football season to be cancelled, but I think Duke would do the same. It's a secondary reason why they really don't want you to pay by check this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I believe the correct term -- sniff, sniff -- is "Ivy Plus." Duke plus the eight Ivy League schools plus Stanford plus U. of Chicago.
    I'd also include the "little Ivy league" schools too....Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Middlebury, Bowdoin, etc., plus probably Northwestern, Rice, Pomona and a few other colleges and universities.

There will always be substantial demand for these schools from both parents and kids, partly because of the "prestige factor" in attending and having a degree from these schools (which explains why those rich parents (many of whom are now indicted) were willing to pay substantial "bribes" to get their kids into some of these schools).
    I do think the second, third and fourth "tier" private schools will face a lot of challenges in the next ten to twenty years, as parents question the value of paying (or borrowing money to pay for) higher and higher costs.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I do think the second, third and fourth "tier" private schools will face a lot of challenges in the next ten to twenty years, as parents question the value of paying (or borrowing money to pay for) higher and higher costs.
    Maybe. I'm currently paying a fair amount for my daughter to go to Guilford College in Greensboro. It's more than one of the state schools. but not enormously more, and I think she is getting a much more personalized education there. I think it's money well spent, but to each his own...

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sorry, I left out MIT -- there are twelve universities in the informal Ivy Plus grouping. The elite smaller schools are every bit as selective but in a different category, and BudWom mentioned some of them above.
    I agree with the points above. There has been an evolution of schools where the very top schools can basically charge whatever they want. The schools below these are scrambling and do a lot of discounting. The amount of discounting they do is all very publicly available. Families, many of whom are by most definitions very well off, are struggling to make a decision between sending their kid to the "most prestigious" school they got into at full cost or a very slightly "less prestigious" school that has offered them some merit aid. This has also made state schools a lot tougher to get into, even though their tuition has gone up very quickly. There has been a growing number of private schools closing as they can no longer get enough students to pay full freight so they can't pay their bills.

The Ivies and potted Ivies (as I've heard the top liberal arts schools called) don't really have to worry about merit aid, though I guess Duke plays this game a bit with AB Dukes and such.

It will be interesting to see how the current potential economic crisis shakes out for the finances of colleges and universities. The model is increasingly broken and I'm not sure how it will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ though the top small liberal arts colleges find themselves as popular as ever...schools like Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Tufts, etc are still wildly popular, have all the applicants they'll need...but for sure many of the less prestigious schools are struggling...
    Most of the NESCAC schools have billion-dollar endowments and enrollments of 2,000 or less. They’ll be fine, with the possible exception of Bates, which has only $300 million and change.

If you want to worry about a Power 5 school, worry about Wake, which only has $1.3 billion.

I'd also include the "little Ivy league" schools too...Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Middlebury, Bowdoin, etc., plus probably Northwestern, Rice, Pomona and a few other colleges and universities.

There will always be substantial demand for these schools from both parents and kids, partly because of the "prestige factor" in attending and having a degree from these schools (which explains why those rich parents (many of whom are now indicted) were willing to pay substantial "bribes" to get their kids into some of these schools).
    Williams grad Duncan Robinson had an incredible rookie year playing on the Miami Heat. 2 Duke people still there Exec Nick Arison and Analytics Shane Battier.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Williams grad Duncan Robinson had an incredible rookie year playing on the Miami Heat. 2 Duke people still there Exec Nick Arison and Analytics Shane Battier.
    Yea, I wonder how many Div. III grads are playing on NBA teams?

Yea, I wonder how many Div. III grads are playing on NBA teams?
    I can report that Middlebury grad Stephen Hauschka has been kicking in the NFL since 2008...after he graduated from Middlebury, he played for N. C. State, where he prospered except that the school could not spell his name correctly...seems like his decision to pass on dental school was not a bad one...drilling kicks instead of teeth can be lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Robinson didn't graduate from Williams. He played one season there before transferring to Michigan. Sat out a year, then played three for the Wolverines.

Per the ongoing discussion - From today's Bloomberg website.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nancial-future

Per the ongoing discussion - From today's Bloomberg website.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nancial-future
    Article reports that during the 2008 recession, the endowments of Harvard and Yale lost 25%. Ouch. Let's hope by some miracle that Duke's advisers were somewhat prescient.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Article reports that during the 2008 recession, the endowments of Harvard and Yale lost 25%. Ouch. Let's hope by some miracle that Duke's advisers were somewhat prescient.
    I believe Duke was down 28% that same year...all things considered, it could have been worse. All these schools have proprietary mixes of investments, not just your average joe's stocks and bonds, but all kinds of private equity investments, commodities, real estate, other stuff...you can't expect to see the gains that equities will generally give you long term if you invest only in stuff that doesn't take a dive in recessions. By and large, the organization that manages the endowment, DUMAC, does a good job when compared with its peers.