Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    What is the key difference with a “preferred walk on”? Wasn’t JRob a “recruited walk on”? Seems like we have several walk-ons who could play at lower level schools.
    A “recruited walk-on” is an oxymoron. Walk-ons are, by definition, not recruited. A preferred walk-on is someone guaranteed a spot on the team, while a walk-on has to make the team (like a manager who gets to the team, or in UNC’s case a JV player that makes the team.

Robinson was a preferred walk-on. He was not recruited by Duke. He reached out and they said he could come as a preferred walk-on.

At Duke, the preferred walk-ons are the guys who have a chance each year of landing an extra scholarship if one happens to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A “recruited walk-on” is an oxymoron. Walk-ons are, by definition, not recruited. A preferred walk-on is someone guaranteed a spot on the team, while a walk-on has to make the team (like a manager who gets to the team, or in UNC’s case a JV player that makes the team.

Robinson was a preferred walk-on. He was not recruited by Duke. He reached out and they said he could come as a preferred walk-on.

At Duke, the preferred walk-ons are the guys who have a chance each year of landing an extra scholarship if one happens to be available.
    CDu, I have been totally amazed at other posts where you are showing your chops on pandemics -- R0 and all that stuff. But I have a couple of points of potential disagreement here.

First, the issue is Duke Admissions preferences, which goes hand in hand with "a spot on the team." A "preferred walk-on" implies some really strong pull with Duke Admissions. All varsity sports get some preference in admissions . And hoops, in the words of Animal Farm is "more equal than others."

Second, I disagree with the statement, "Walk-ons are not recruited." Well, maybe they first expressed an interest, but they are certainly evaluated and approved by the coaching staff. For example, I don't believe that Justin Robinson decided to apply to Duke as his first choice and then contacted Duke basketball. It seems totally evident to me -- and, of course, I can't find the light switch in my own bedroom -- that there were discussions between Coach K and David Robinson before Justin decided to apply to Duke. I mean, both Coach and the Admiral are world-famous, and these things don't happen by accident. Moreover, there are not many seven-footers around whose fathers are in the Hall of Fame. (Although Justin seems super smart to me, why wouldn't Justin want the imprimatur of Duke basketball before submitting his application?) So when you say, "He was not recruited by Duke," you will need to insert several asterisks worth of qualifications.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The name Cason means son of marsh dwellers in old Scottish. Make what you will with that tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The name Cason means son of marsh dwellers in old Scottish. Make what you will with that tidbit.
    And Pierce was a surgeon at the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War. Now it all makes sense.

That’s why they called it “The Swamp.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And Pierce was a surgeon at the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War. Now it all makes sense.

That’s why they called it “The Swamp.”
    But who was recruited from Penobscot?

Regarding walkons, my understanding is that a preferred walk-on will be offered a scholarship if one is available after all the roster pieces are determined. Might not mean much to us as fans, but I imagine its a big deal for the player. Even for someone whose family has money like J-Rob, it’s an emotional boost and recognition of their value to the team.

This kid has a high level of academic achievement, besides being a good basketball players. Listed as a 6'7" guard, but doesn't look like that many cinder blocks.

Cason visited Duke at the request of Nolan Smith. Not sure if this is regarded as "recruited". but he did visit with his head coach, Freddy Johnson. Freddy and I went to high school together. He holds the record for wins in North Carolina high school basketball. One of Cason's teammates has a full ride to UVa. Another started at Clemson this year.

Great for Freddy's program and for Cason. A number of Ivy league schools wanted Cason.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Cason visited Duke at the request of Nolan Smith. Not sure if this is regarded as "recruited". but he did visit with his head coach, Freddy Johnson. Freddy and I went to high school together. He holds the record for wins in North Carolina high school basketball. One of Cason's teammates has a full ride to UVa. Another started at Clemson this year.

Great for Freddy's program and for Cason. A number of Ivy league schools wanted Cason.
    Well, this is "recruitment" as far as I am concerned. Cason and Freddy came down and were likely shown around the campus and the athletic facilities and got to meet the coaching staff. Then he was told -- basically -- "if you come to Duke, you can be on the team." I don't see why these activities would not be governed by the NCAA rules on basketball recruitment, such as timing of visits and phone calls, etc. It was informal to the extent that no grant-in-aid was proffered and there is no LOI. Others can probably educate me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

^ I wouldn't be surprised, though, if someone mentioned Duke's history of sometimes giving walkons scholarships when we don't have 13 scholarship players...if they merit such.

From all I have read and see in vids, he pretty good to be a walk on and not play in the Ivy League

I think a lot of the terminology differences have to do with scholarship allocations. Let's say a school is at its max scholarships for a sport. They can't then give a "recruited athlete" an AB Duke or some other form of scholarship as a backdoor way to get more scholarship-caliber athletes on the team. Kind of like how if an athlete plays two sports, there are rules about which sport the athletic scholarship counts against. So once you are classified as a "recruited athlete," everything is handled somewhat differently. If you can afford to pay your own way like Justin Robinson, it probably really isn't relevant, but still needs to be buttoned up. There is more nuance to it than this but I think the terminology they use regarding these recruits relates to this - they got in through the regular admissions door rather than the basketball door, but I think it acknowledges that there was some formal contact, as someone noted above.

Hopefully someone else can explain this better than I did...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think a lot of the terminology differences have to do with scholarship allocations. Let's say a school is at its max scholarships for a sport. They can't then give a "recruited athlete" an AB Duke or some other form of scholarship as a backdoor way to get more scholarship-caliber athletes on the team. Kind of like how if an athlete plays two sports, there are rules about which sport the athletic scholarship counts against. So once you are classified as a "recruited athlete," everything is handled somewhat differently. If you can afford to pay your own way like Justin Robinson, it probably really isn't relevant, but still needs to be buttoned up. There is more nuance to it than this but I think the terminology they use regarding these recruits relates to this - they got in through the regular admissions door rather than the basketball door, but I think it acknowledges that there was some formal contact, as someone noted above.

Hopefully someone else can explain this better than I did...
    Maybe Cason can play volleyball?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Maybe Cason can play volleyball?
    One, no men’s volleyball. Two, he would still count as a basketball player for scholarship and roster purposes.

It’s football, basketball, hockey and the rest for men. The list goes basketball, volleyball and the rest for women.

For instance, Jay Heaps, National soccer player of the year at Duke, was technically on a basketball scholarship. When Nebraska found itself short of players during the B1G tournament this year, they added a couple of football players, because they couldn’t add players from other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    But who was recruited from Penobscot?
    Colonel Flagg?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Colonel Flagg?
    But was it really him?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But was it really him?
    “ You must spread some Comments around before commenting on BD80 again.”