Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Cason Pierce!

Via twitter, Class of 2020 Greensboro Day School 6'7" Guard Cason Pierce announced that he will be a preferred walk on at Duke beginning this fall. Cason Pierce is right up there with Kennan Worthington for "strong Duke student name." I'm looking forward to seeing the young man on the squad.

Last edited by DavidBenAkiva; 04-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.

welcome to the party, pal !!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Welcome to the brotherhood! And the casons go rolling along!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Welcome to the brotherhood! And the casons go rolling along!
    We should expect Mr. Pierce to be a penetrator?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    So THIS must be the news that we've all been waiting on after the strange Tape decommitment yesterday (I kid, I kid). Regardless, welcome Cason!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think you're missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    You folks do have a sharp wit.

He has point type skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He has point type skills.
    Perhaps a shooter -- "Hawkeye."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Honest question here - how many walkons can a team have? Right now I count K’s grandkid, Keenan Worthington, Buckmire, and now Pierce.

Honest question here - how many walkons can a team have? Right now I count K’s grandkid, Keenan Worthington, Buckmire, and now Pierce.
    Must be unlimited (or up to 100) cause I’ve seen that many on the Cheat bench.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Yeah, I’m pretty sure there isn’t much of a limit. The public schools often have a ton. I know Michigan typically has at least 3 or 4...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Tommy Amaker, in his first year or two at Harvard, got some bad press when he reduced the varsity squad from 19 to 14, I believe, sending the others to the JV squad. Ergo, we have a data point on 19.

The rest of the story is that the father of one of those cut went bonkers, and it got coverage in the NY Times among other places -- as if Tommy was hurting the pro basketball prospects of a player who wasn't in the top 14 at an Ivy League program.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

What is the key difference with a “preferred walk on”? Wasn’t JRob a “recruited walk on”? Seems like we have several walk-ons who could play at lower level schools.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    What is the key difference with a “preferred walk on”? Wasn’t JRob a “recruited walk on”? Seems like we have several walk-ons who could play at lower level schools.
    This terminology and these distinctions are mostly jive. There are no NCAA definitions at play. Actually, the real distinction is how Duke admissions treats the application.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Tommy Amaker, in his first year or two at Harvard, got some bad press when he reduced the varsity squad from 19 to 14, I believe, sending the others to the JV squad. Ergo, we have a data point on 19.

The rest of the story is that the father of one of those cut went bonkers, and it got coverage in the NY Times among other places -- as if Tommy was hurting the pro basketball prospects of a player who wasn't in the top 14 at an Ivy League program.
    Reminds me of when Rudy Guiliani’s son sued Duke for kicking him off the golf team.

It depends on whether the bench area has one of them "virus shooters." If so, I think you can have a thousand or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Reminds me of when Rudy Guiliani’s son sued Duke for kicking him off the golf team.
    Yes, after he wasn't good enough to make the traveling squad -- Mean ol' Duke was hurting his PGA prospects!
    Sage Grouse

Damn, foiled again.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Somebody had to stay out as a human sacrifice when Ole Roy abandoned ship early before a court-storming (I believe at FSU?) a few years ago!