Bill Withers, RIP

Passes away from heart disease at the age of 81.

Surely this giant of American music deserves his own thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkaexjc-1os
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Nooooo!

I just watched his 2015 RnR HoF induction (by Stevie Wonder) last night. Sometimes I hate irony.

So many great songs, but my favorite (maybe in my personal top 10 list if I ever made one) was "Use Me". Just perfect.

R.I.P.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I just watched his 2015 RnR HoF induction (by Stevie Wonder) last night. Sometimes I hate irony.

So many great songs, but my favorite (maybe in my personal top 10 list if I ever made one) was "Use Me". Just perfect.

R.I.P.

I posted the same vid on FB a bit ago. I had honestly never really heard of him, although of course I'm sure I heard his music. Last week driving up from Charleston, I heard this awesome funky song on the radio, pulled out my phone, jotted down a lyric, and Googled it as soon as I got out of the car. It was Use Me.
    Sad timing for learning who he was and then his passing right after, but better late for me than never.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stellar singer and songwriter. Some absolute knock out hits. RIP, Bill Withers

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I posted the same vid on FB a bit ago. I had honestly never really heard of him, although of course I'm sure I heard his music. Last week driving up from Charleston, I heard this awesome funky song on the radio, pulled out my phone, jotted down a lyric, and Googled it as soon as I got out of the car. It was Use Me.
    Sad timing for learning who he was and then his passing right after, but better late for me than never.
    My first thought when I read that was Charleston WV (not SC) because Bill was raised in Beckley WV. I drove through Beckley several times a year on my way to/from Duke, it was the halfway point.

"Use Me" was one of my three best karaoke songs, but first in crowd reaction. I would never do it unless my friend Robyn was in the crowd, because halfway through she would come up on stage and start grinding on me. None of us make it out alive, but this song will now have a tinge of sadness for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

R.I.P.

Thanks for posting. Great video. I'm at the age now where we're beginning to lose a lot of the great ones that shaped the musical tastes of my adolescence. "Ain't No Sunshine" maybe edges out "Use Me" as a personal favorite but who the hell really cares, both are great songs. Gaye, Redding, Withers...not too many left.

I didn't realize until a few years ago how many great songs he sang - what an incredible talent. One of my fondest memories is happily sitting at a kids concert with my older child when he was just a few months old (about 10 years ago), listening to the performers do a cover of Lovely Day.

An amazing talent who refused to be mistreated by the rich and powerful. He came to the game late, left early, and had a great career, on his terms.

Thanks for the great music and RIP.

Some reactions to the passing of this great artist:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...zwb?li=BBnb7Kz

Love him! May he rest in peace.

The best scene in Notting Hill:

A little different from the actual song, which is only about 2 minutes long, and he spends 14 seconds repeating "I know" 26 times.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I posted the same vid on FB a bit ago. I had honestly never really heard of him
    What!?

As you said, netter late than never!

although of course I'm sure I heard his music.
    Surely you've also heard this one, if nothing else it's been in probably 100 movies and TV shows at some point at some emotional turning point (girl leaving, etc). Slightly easier to recognize a little ways in when the band joins in.

Last week driving up from Charleston, I heard this awesome funky song on the radio, pulled out my phone, jotted down a lyric, and Googled it as soon as I got out of the car. It was Use Me.
    Use Me is probably my favorite song of his. It also (unsurprisingly) get's a lot of covers, many of which are also exceptional. My personal favorite is probably this one by Widespread Panic featuring the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What!?

As you said, netter late than never!

Surely you've also heard this one, if nothing else it's been in probably 100 movies and TV shows at some point at some emotional turning point (girl leaving, etc). Slightly easier to recognize a little ways in when the band joins in.

Use Me is probably my favorite song of his. It also (unsurprisingly) get's a lot of covers, many of which are also exceptional. My personal favorite is probably this one by Widespread Panic featuring the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.
    DDBB is opening for the Doobies this Summer. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that show goes on! Good seats were my bday gift to my gf when they went on sale back in November.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

A little different from the actual song, which is only about 2 minutes long, and he spends 14 seconds repeating "I know" 26 times.
    That's pretty good, but how about 40 times in 15 seconds?

Yet another level of "a little different" from Withers' version.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery - flatterers all, the Gimmes. I celebrate their entire catalog - every song on every album of theirs has been a hit! No filler!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Agree. And love the seasons changing as he walks. (My second favorite movie after Love Actually)