Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Rushmore?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Do we have an all-Olympic gold medal team?

1964-Mullins
    1976-Armstrong
    1992-Christian
    1996-Grant
    2008-Boozer (plus bronze in 2004)
    2016-Kyrie

Silver
    2000-Crawford Palmer (France)

How about an all-FIBA gold medal team? (It'll have to be 3-on-three.)

1986-Tommy Amaker
    2014-Kyrie
    2014-Mason Plumlee
    How about about an all-underrated team?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...history#slide1

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Here’s another sidebar. Only one Duke basketball player to my knowledge has ever been named MVP of his professional league. (I’ll let you think about this one, but it’s somebody already mentioned.)
    I think Dick Groat won MVP in baseball either for the Pirates or my Cardinals. I can't think of a basketball player that was MVP. I believe Jack Marin was on a Buck team that won the NBA Championship and he played very well in the finals against the Lakers(I think).

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think Dick Groat won MVP in baseball either for the Pirates or my Cardinals. I can't think of a basketball player that was MVP. I believe Jack Marin was on a Buck team that won the NBA Championship and he played very well in the finals against the Lakers(I think).

GoDuke!
    Groat won the MVP in 1960 for the World Series champion Pirates. He also won a World Series with the Cardinals in 1964. And the 1st Duke B-ball player to have his Jersey retired. Talk about living the dream.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    1960 with the Pirates.

Marin never was on a team that won a championship. He was traded by the Bullets straight up for Elvin Hayes before the Bullets won their one championship. (He ended his career with the bulls, being traded mid-season (by the Braves) for a draft pick that turned out to be Tate Armstrong.)

Jeff Mullins is the only pre-K player to be on an NBA championship team, the Warriors of ‘74-‘75.

Trajan Langdon won a EuroLeague Final Four MVP. (Not the same as full season MVP, but still, an honor to add to the collection.)

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post

Interesting list here, but I don't know how the author could call Tate Armstrong, who was a 6'3" shooting guard, another "big man who could shoot"(i.e., following Art Heyman, who himself was only 6'5") and potentially "Duke's version of Ralph Sampson" (Sampson was 7'4").

I really laughed reading through this thread. The thread premise was IMMEDIATELY cast aside for starting 5; not a single Mt. Rushmore on here!

I'll give one though:

Patrick Davidson, 4 times.

Starters

Williams
    Redick
    Hill
    Battier
    Laettner

2nd Team

Hurley
    Dawkins
    Farrey
    Brand
    Shelden

One and Done’s

Kyrie
    Maggette
    Bagley
    Zion
    Jahlil

Tyus
    Barrett
    Deng
    Parker
    Carey

I would put Rivers , Ingram and Tatum on the list but they were more guys who just showed raw talent instead of being great college players

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Do we have an all-Olympic gold medal team?

1964-Mullins
    1976-Armstrong
    1992-Christian
    1996-Grant
    2008-Boozer (plus bronze in 2004)
    2016-Kyrie

Silver
    2000-Crawford Palmer (France)

How about an all-FIBA gold medal team? (It'll have to be 3-on-three.)

1986-Tommy Amaker
    2014-Kyrie
    2014-Mason Plumlee
    If we extend to any FIBA medalist, Marty Pocius won bronze with the Lithuanian team.

I like this concept -- and I still think they left several important players off (We don't win the first title without Billy McCaffery or Greg Koubek, We don't win the second title without Marty Clark, We don't win in 2010 without Zoubek, and we don't win the 2015 title without Grayson)

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    One and Done’s

Kyrie
    Maggette
    Bagley
    Zion
    Jahlil

Tyus
    Barrett
    Deng
    Parker
    Carey

I would put Rivers , Ingram and Tatum on the list but they were more guys who just showed raw talent instead of being great college players
    Interesting thing about Maggette, which I'm pretty sure is true but I've never heard anyone in the media mention: I believe he was the first guy to go pro early -- in his case, after only one year -- who wasn't even a starter on his college team.

Another, sort of nit-picky point. I feel that the "one-and-done" label ought to be applied only to those who played in the years 2006-2021, when the NBA rule was in effect. That is, Maggette or Deng could've gone pro straight from high school, but chose to spend a year in college; Shawn Livingston, for instance, would have been one-and-done had the 2007 rules been in place in 2005. I suspect that Kyrie was the first player to come to Duke where the coaching staff knew he would only stay for one year. (And, as most of y'all know, Elton Brand was very close to going pro after his freshman year; he was talked into staying, which was a great decision, since he won ACC and National POY, became the #1 overall pick, etc.)

I like this as a concept, but I also think there's no reason to make "underrated" synonymous with "good role player". A star player can be underrated just as much as a role player, and a good role player can be not-underrated if nearly everyone recognizes his importance to the team (I think Zoubek is an example of this). I think my Coach K era picks would be something like...

G: Tommy Amaker – gets overshadowed by Dawkins a bit in some discussions about the mid-late 80s teams, and generally I think defense still gets overshadowed a bit in player rankings

G: Jon Scheyer – probably not underrated on DBR because of Jumbo's one-man campaign, but more broadly I think he is

F: Amile Jefferson – do we win in 2015 if Okafor doesn't get into foul trouble, allowing Jefferson to guard the mobile Wisconsin big men for more minutes?

F: Zion – the fact that people still debate whether he's the best Duke basketball player ever with names other than Grant Hill, or that some people like to say we had two players last year who were just as good as each other shows he is actually underrated by a lot of people here IMO

C: Cherokee Parks – you don't make the national title with only one good player, even if it's Grant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    F: Zion – the fact that people still debate whether he's the best Duke basketball player ever with names other than Grant Hill, or that some people like to say we had two players last year who were just as good as each other shows he is actually underrated by a lot of people here IMO
    Posters on DBR saying Barrett was “just as good as Zion”??? I haven’t seen a DBR poster saying that. I’m not doubting you, mind you, I just must have somehow missed it. But really, such a comparison, in my opinion, would be silly. Zion was BY FAR the best player in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Posters on DBR saying Barrett was “just as good as Zion”??? I haven’t seen a DBR poster saying that. I’m not doubting you, mind you, I just must have somehow missed it. But really, such a comparison, in my opinion, would be silly. Zion was BY FAR the best player in the nation.
    I think plenty of people underrated Zion before he got to Duke. I don't think anyone on the planet underrated him after his season at Duke. If anything, he was overrated in that people were already comparing him to LeBron James before Zion had even set foot on an NBA court. As a reminder, LeBron is an active player who is third in points, eight in assists, thirteenth in steals, and 49th in rebounding **in NBA history**.

The bar doesn't get any higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I think plenty of people underrated Zion before he got to Duke. I don't think anyone on the planet underrated him after his season at Duke. If anything, he was overrated in that people were already comparing him to LeBron James before Zion had even set foot on an NBA court. As a reminder, LeBron is an active player who is third in points, eight in assists, thirteenth in steals, and 49th in rebounding **in NBA history**.

The bar doesn't get any higher than that.
    I’m trying to understand how you took an underrated/overrated post about players WHILE AT DUKE and somehow brought the dreaded LeBron James (not my favorite player, to put it mildly) into this conversation. I wish you hadn’t.

<Self-deleted post. Unnecessary.>

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    <Self-deleted post. Unnecessary.>
    *wags his finger*

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    I like this concept -- and I still think they left several important players off (We don't win the first title without Billy McCaffery or Greg Koubek, We don't win the second title without Marty Clark, We don't win in 2010 without Zoubek, and we don't win the 2015 title without Grayson)
    There's no way Duke wins the NCAAT without Grayson. He and Tyus put the team on their backs in the 2nd half against Wisconsin. I would love to see how the seasons following that title run would have turned out had Grayson kept his feet to himself. I love Grayson but it's a shame that he had the tripping demons.

GoDuke!

Tate

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    An interesting name to ponder for this list.
    Having seen Tate play I ask why people seem to forget him and his incredible talents. From game winning shots to winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics he was exceptional. Just because he broke his wrist doesn't exclude him from respect (1st round pick of the Chicago Bulls, 13th overall). He always wanted the ball at the end of the game.