Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Prine in Nashville

In the last few years, many young Nashville musicians cited John Prine as one of their biggest influences and he became friends with many of them. I remember a few years back when Prine and Jason Isbell were competing for some musician of the year award. Prine won in the next morning Isbell posted on Facebook that Prine came up to him afterwards and said "Better luck next year, young man! Let me buy you some oysters." So then Prine, Isbell, and Isbell's wife, Amanda Shires (a talented musician herself), went out to dinner.

Here's a nice story about Prine's influence in Nashville: https://apnews.com/2c5be5f01c474d17bade9c101ac96d22

RIP John Prine

Terrible news this morning.

I've been a John Prine since 1971. Living in the Chicago area, there was always a buzz about John and his buddy Steve Goodman. I bought his first album in 1971 or 1972. I still have it but think I wore that album out while in the Army. A bunch of us at Fort Benning listened to that all the time. There were great songs that spoke to the time and to our situation in the Army. Sam Stone, Donald and Lydia, Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore and more.

I never saw him live until about five years ago. The Avett Brothers were playing at Red Rocks, a wonderful outdoor venue in the hills above Denver. John Prine opened for them. He was scarred, beat up, fragile and phenomenal. The Avett Brothers were so complimentary and commented, several times, about the irony of John Prine opening for them rather than vice versa.

I can't help but think about the first lines of one of his best songs today.

"Woke up this morning, put on my slippers,

Walked into the kitchen and died,

And oh what a feeling when my soul went through the ceiling,

And on up into heaven I did fly."

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He definitely deserves his own thread. Could a moderator break out the posts about the great Mr. Prine?

He wrote an awful lot of great songs. Some not mentioned (I think) yet here: Angel from Montgomery (brilliantly covered by many, but especially by Bonnie Raitt), Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore, Illegal Smile, Clay Pigeons, Paradise etc. I could keep going.

His last recording, The Tree of Forgiveness, is great, too. It includes a song titled "When I Get To Heaven", which I hope means that John Prine was at peace with dying.

He did a great interview on NPR's Fresh Air, with Terry Gross, when Tree of Forgiveness came out: https://www.johnprine.com/news/liste...th-terry-gross

One of my favorite Prine stories came out after his second duets album, "For Better, or Worse", about how a pedal steel guitar can change any song:

'We cut every one of them live except the Alison Krauss track ("Falling In Love Again"). The band was really hot one night, and we had done three artists, and still had an hour left over. We cut the track, and I sang on it. It came off so good. [Producer] Jim Rooney asked me 'How in the heck can that be a country song?" I told him to put some steel on it. That's how we pitched it to Alison.'

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...221012143.html
    Minor quibble- Clay Pigeons is a Blaze Foley(RIP) song. Blaze sabotaged his career with alcohol abuse ala his Texas counterpart, Towns Van Zandt so let’s give him credit for writing a great song. Btw if your curious there’s a recent film by Ethan Hawke entitled “Blaze” that tells his story.

https://youtu.be/uM3YROq_cLY

Excellent point

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Minor quibble- Clay Pigeons is a Blaze Foley(RIP) song. Blaze sabotaged his career with alcohol abuse ala his Texas counterpart, Towns Van Zandt so let’s give him credit for writing a great song. Btw if your curious there’s a recent film by Ethan Hawke entitled “Blaze” that tells his story.

https://youtu.be/uM3YROq_cLY
    I had forgotten that, but you're absolutely right. I saw Gurf Morlix doing a Blaze Foley tribute two years ago, so I should have remembered. Morlix told some great Foley stories.

Here's a nice piece on Prine by NPR's music critic, Ann Powers: https://www.npr.org/2020/04/07/82370...paign=nprmusic

I love sharing JP stories and memories. John married his long legged blond base player named Rachel Peer in the early eighties and she was a bit of a firecracker so it burned out before the 90s. The two were separated but still touring together. This video is as raw as can be with Rachel singing backup and exchanging glances as John sings “ you’re out there running just to be on the run” and “I got a worried and a jealous mind”.

https://youtu.be/eFvenjll1Bk

I woke up to this news this morning and wanted to crawl back under the covers and just stay there. Truly awful news. One of my favorites, on record and in concert. Was fortunate enough to see him in the early '70s and last fall in Durham and numerous times in between. Such a great talent and he never gave off even the remotest vibe of being a star. Just a story teller with few equals.

John Prine is now a dead peckerhead

A tragedy that is so difficult for me to accept. I was very fortunate to see John play at the Exit/In in 1971 in Nashville with Kris Kristofferson in the audience, among other great Nashville artists that came to see him that night. A small venue seating about 200 people at tables situated around the stage plus people standing in the back. I became a fan for life after that. I also saw him within the past year here in Asheville. There are so many wonderful memories, and so much more to tell, but none of it matters because he is gone.

ricks

When I get to heaven

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    A tragedy that is so difficult for me to accept. I was very fortunate to see John play at the Exit/In in 1971 in Nashville with Kris Kristofferson in the audience, among other great Nashville artists that came to see him that night. A small venue seating about 200 people at tables situated around the stage plus people standing in the back. I became a fan for life after that. I also saw him within the past year here in Asheville. There are so many wonderful memories, and so much more to tell, but none of it matters because he is gone.

ricks
    Before anyone takes offense, I want to point out that the phrase "dead peckerhead" comes from a recent John Prine song, When I Get to Heaven.

John married his long legged blond base player named Rachel Peer in the early eighties and she was a bit of a firecracker so it burned out before the 90s.
    Though unsure exactly what it means, I loved reading this sentence.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Though unsure exactly what it means, I loved reading this sentence.
    He married his base player in the eighties. Her name is Rachel Peer and she was blond and had long legs. By the end of the eighties they’d split up. The impression I got was that she was a party girl which made JP’s mind “jealous and worried”. Rachel continued to tour and play base for a time after they separated.

While I’m splaining it, here’s another Rachel song following the divorce. “Wish You all the Best” was on JP’s excellent follow up album, “The Missing Years”. You’ll notice no base player in this clip😂. Lyrics are pretty biting despite his opening joke.

“ I wish you love - and happiness
    I guess I wish - you all the best
    I wish you don't - do like I do
    And never fall in love with someone like you
    Cause if you fell - just like I did
    You'd probably walk around the block like a little kid
    But kids don't know - they can only guess
    How hard it is - to wish you happiness”

https://youtu.be/e58y60Ozhxs

Base player?

Somebody misses baseball as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Base player?

Somebody misses baseball as much as I do.
    Oops, meant bass player obviously. Idk of Rachel knows her way around the bases😃.

Oops, meant bass player obviously. Idk of Rachel knows her way around the bases😃.
    From the descriptions of the separation I'm guessing she does.

Isbell on Prine

Really wonderful piece by Jason Isbell on his friend John Prine: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/o...MEEjhy0IxDc5KQ

Dave Matthews performed Speed of the Sound of Loneliness on Colbert last night. He and his band have covered Angel from Montgomery dozens of times.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    RIP XFL. We hardly knew ye.
    The XFL quickly captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people who love football. Unfortunately, as a new enterprise, we were not insulated from the harsh economic impacts and uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 crisis.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/xfl-fil...194135674.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Karl-Anthony Towns’ mother, Jacqueline Cruz, passed away Monday. His father had been ill too, but has recovered. I believe they lived in NJ.

Wonders reunion/Schlesinger tribute

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How often is a movie built around a single song??

Don't know if you all have seen the news, but this Friday there will be Zoom livestream reuniting the "Wonders," i.e., the fictional band depicted in "That Thing You Do." It will apparently raise $ for COVID-19 relief and pay tribute to Adam Schlesinger (who wrote the title song).

https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronav...er-1202907655/

(Still sad about Schlesigner's passing. Been listening to FoW almost constantly since then.)

(Still sad about Schlesigner's passing. Been listening to FoW almost constantly since then.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no That Thing You Do movie without the song. Really phenomenal that he could try a perfect 60s pop song.

The record company stuff reminded me of the whole Roulette Records situation while the tour was straight out of Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars.

Brought back memories of the Caravan at the Richmond Mosque where the headliner was Gene Pitney. Also Shirelles, Dixie Cups and Brian Hyland. Reflections got to sing two songs that night as Richmond was one of the few markets where their follow up to Romeo at Juliet was a hit. Oh yeah, ticket was $1.75.

John Horton Conway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DwlnT3WxrI

Dr. Conway’s boundless curiosity produced profound contributions to number theory, game theory, coding theory, group theory, knot theory, topology, probability theory, algebra, analysis, combinatorics and more. Foremost, he considered himself a classical geometer.
    “His swath was probably broader than anyone who ever lived,” said the mathematician Neil Sloane,

“In mathematics and physics there are two kinds of geniuses,” ... “There are the ordinary geniuses — they are just like you and me but they are better at it; if we’d worked hard enough, maybe we could get some of the same results.
    “But then there are the magical geniuses,” he added. “Richard Feynman was a magical genius. And the same always struck me about John — he was a magical mathematician. He was a magical genius rather than an ordinary genius.”

His father, an autodidact, had left school at age 14 and, with his photographic memory, made a living playing cards.

Sounds like an amazing individual. A recommended read.