Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Coronavirus - those we've lost

Sad as it may be, I think we need a thread for remembering the people taken by this.

Just got word that musician Adam Schlesinger has died at age 52. He won 3 Grammys and an Emmy, but is best known for 2 things.

He wrote the song That Thing You Do for the film... and his band, Fountains of Wayne, had a huge hit with his song "Stacy's Mom."

-Jason "Adam is the backup vocals and guitarist in this video" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Oh no! Perhaps not his most popular song, but both of my kids loved singing along to Trucks of the Sandra Boynton album Frog Trouble.

I know this is too positive for this thread, but my friend David Lat (those of you in the legal world might know him) seems to be pulling through... very glad for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I know this is too positive for this thread, but my friend David Lat (those of you in the legal world might know him) seems to be pulling through... very glad for that!
    Good news for him, and you. Glad to hear.

The NY Post has been following his fight. Good to see him on the road to recovery. Slow but sure.

Here's a link to a NY Law Journal piece. They have also been following his illness and recovery.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...20200301203618

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sad as it may be, I think we need a thread for remembering the people taken by this.

Just got word that musician Adam Schlesinger has died at age 52. He won 3 Grammys and an Emmy, but is best known for 2 things.

He wrote the song That Thing You Do for the film... and his band, Fountains of Wayne, had a huge hit with his song "Stacy's Mom."

This is one of my “many” favorite songs... and I really enjoyed the movie. Too bad... Thanks for sharing

The patriarch of the first family of jazz. A giant who had an incalculable influence on the music world.

-Jason "feels like this thing is hitting music harder than the other arts... but, I'm sure actors, painters, and writers will soon also be victims of this wretched plague" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The patriarch of the first family of jazz. A giant who had an incalculable influence on the music world.

-Jason "feels like this thing is hitting music harder than the other arts... but, I'm sure actors, painters, and writers will soon also be victims of this plague" Evans
    And I note Jim Sumner's separate thread about trumpet player Wallace Roney's passing from COVID-19. May be worth merging that one here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

-Jason "feels like this thing is hitting music harder than the other arts... but, I'm sure actors, painters, and writers will soon also be victims of this plague" Evans
    We just lost an actor from Star Wars, Andrew Jack. And we're not close to the end of this. (Writing from Queens, NY - the epicenter of the epicenter)

Hopefully this will all end soon and he can have the gigantic second line that he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Hopefully this will all end soon and he can have the gigantic second line that he deserves.
    Miles long... with his sons playing like crazy at the front.

Ellis Marsalis-RIP

Patriarch of great jazz family dies of Covid-19

https://time.com/5814228/ellis-marsalis-jazz-dies/

Damn!

Ellis Marsalis, by the way, in addition to being the "patriarch of a jazz family" was also an incredibly gifted jazz pianist.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Damn!

Ellis Marsalis, by the way, in addition to being the "patriarch of a jazz family" was also an incredibly gifted jazz pianist.
    I took "patriarch of a jazz family" to include Ellis as part of the "jazz family" (the head of it), I don't think there was any omission there.

Anyways, a huge loss. I actually got to meet Ellis in high school, our band director got him lined up to come do a small master class which also included a short performance by him...it was pretty awesome. Sad to see that he has passed, but he definitely left a mark.

Marsalis familly

Chris Hayes , 8PM EST on MSNBC, replays at ?, showing the perfect clip of Marsalis family on Mr Rogers Neighborhood.
    Hayes has a tribute to deaths due to Corona virus, reminiscent of CBS Sunday morning annual tribute. This seems like it will be weekly, if not daily.

Big fan of Adam's and FoW

Welcome Interstate Managers is one of my top 5 albums from the last 20 years, and I loved "That Thing You Do"

Schlesinger also wrote and produced songs for a number of other bands, including Ivy's "This is the Day" from There's Something About Mary

He had a terrific way with catchy hooks and all manner of pop music genres

John Prine doing better and fighting the good fight: https://www.stereogum.com/2079106/jo...e-health/news/ Was looking grim when the news first hit the interwebz...
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    John Prine doing better and fighting the good fight: https://www.stereogum.com/2079106/jo...e-health/news/ Was looking grim when the news first hit the interwebz...
    That is so good to hear. I needed to track down a few versions of this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhA01J0Zsg

and listen to them when I first heard the news. Really not ready to lose him. Definitely made me want to say "Hello in There".