Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roy Williams wins ACC COTY

In a stunning development, the ACC announced today that Roy Williams has been named the conference’s Coach of The Year for the 2019-2020 season. Commissioner John Swofford stated, “He did amazing things this season, and set a number of school records.” Rival coaches conceded that Williams’s season was unprecedented. “He put up numbers we’ve never seen before, and did so with the least talented roster he’s ever had” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

As much as I hate those guys down the road, I can’t deny that this was a season to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    In a stunning development, the ACC announced today that Roy Williams has been named the conference’s Coach of The Year for the 2019-2020 season. Commissioner John Swofford stated, “He did amazing things this season, and set a number of school records.” Rival coaches conceded that Williams’s season was unprecedented. “He put up numbers we’ve never seen before, and did so with the least talented roster he’s ever had” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

As much as I hate those guys down the road, I can’t deny that this was a season to remember.
    Seems fair. UNC after all did win a game in the ACC tournament. Duke, UVA, FSU and Louisville can't say the same.

Can't argue with anything there. Think how often people here on DBR noted how UNCheat was "lookin' good"!

It is about friggin' time. Sorry, for the language, but, like ol' roy, I can get pretty emotional.

What other coach can get so many years from one-and-done talent?

Like I said, long overdue.

Are we sure the "C" stands for Coach?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I HEARD that the heels looked good.

without a doubt, Roy's finest coaching yet.

I'm surprised that Roy's masterful use of timeouts was not praised. The writer of this story must be slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Some forget that since UNC can only beat themselves all of their losses also count as wins. That means they got 20 ACC wins with the worst talent ever at UNC. That is an inconceivable achievement.

I miss the old articles that would run about this time of year on the front page. They seem to have gone away since the move to this new platform.

Oh, and I hear that Sidd Finch's son is a four-star recruit for the class of '22; supposedly he has cut his list down to UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. Bet he's a load.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I miss the old articles that would run about this time of year on the front page. They seem to have gone away since the move to this new platform.

Oh, and I hear that Sidd Finch's son is a four-star recruit for the class of '22; supposedly he has cut his list down to UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. Bet he's a load.
    Yeah, but did you know that Dick Vitale's grandsons are 6-6 tennis phenoms and have committed to come to Duke next year?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah, but did you know that Dick Vitale's grandsons are 6-6 tennis phenoms and have committed to come to Duke next year?
    I've heard mention.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Some forget that since UNC can only beat themselves all of their losses also count as wins. That means they got 20 ACC wins with the worst talent ever at UNC. That is an inconceivable achievement.
    Inconceivable! I do not think that word means what you think it means!

Poor Ole Roy, must be hard for him to maintain social distance while getting a massage to celebrate his coaching achievements.

This has a remarkable scent of April 1.

Ol' Huck deserves it for the joy and laughter he personally brought to each of us this year.

Round of well-deserved applause from me.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

And on the few occasions this season when things went wrong, Roy stepped up and took the blame, never taking his players to task for any shortcomings. A true leader.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I miss them too, but I also recognize that folks are pretty sensitive right now. Huck's COY strikes the right balance in my book.

Didn't Cole Anthony win NPOY?

Notenough Player Of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Didn't Cole Anthony win NPOY?

Notenough Player Of the Year?
    I'm convinced that Anthony being the number one pick of the draft is a deep dive April Fool's joke.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I had to look it up, but apparently this is not an April Fools joke.

The best April Fools jokes always have a thread of truth in them.

As we have often seen through the years, the kerolina journalism school led ACC sports media might do this to salute Ol' Roy for fighting to overcome all those injuries and close losses and almost achieving a .500 record.

Thank the Lord it is truly April First !

9F