Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

28 years ago today... where were you?

The Shot.

My sophomore year on campus. Before we go to lunch and start pre-gaming I find out my maternal grandfather passed away. By the time I got my stuff together, traveled, and got to my grandmother's, the game had started.

Made it to an uncle's house and caught the end of the 1st half, then the rest of the game.

How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    The Shot.

My sophomore year on campus. Before we go to lunch and start pre-gaming I find out my maternal grandfather passed away. By the time I got my stuff together, traveled, and got to my grandmother's, the game had started.

Made it to an uncle's house and caught the end of the 1st half, then the rest of the game.

How about you?
    I was watching in my parents’ living room where they had some friends over. I don’t remember anything, but I believe I crapped myself at some point, being the (literally) 6 month old infant that I was ��

In the Spectrum.

On my birthday. One of my more memorable birthdays, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    In the Spectrum.

On my birthday. One of my more memorable birthdays, to say the least.
    Happy birthday!

By the end of the game, I was kneeling in front of my TV. Watched alone so I could swear at the TV as appropriate. I probably did a bit of pacing as well. Phone rang of the hook when it was over. Glad I left work to watch it live.

My wife and I were in the Spectrum. We traveled there by bus with a group of Iron Dukes. What a night!!

In my den with a couple of friends. The cat made mad dash to the safety of the basement in the aftermath.

First year of Duke law school. Watched at TJ Hoops.

I was there. On the floor in the end zone, approximately ten rows directly behind Grant Hill when he threw the pass. I stood on my chair, so I had approximately the same view as Grant did.

Watched at home with my wife and two family members. I remember right before Grant got handed the ball to throw it in, I swear I remember saying,"nobody's guarding the inbound".As soon as Christian caught it, I just knew he was going to make it.Just hoping he would get it off in time.What a golden memory!!

I was at sea aboard the USS Blue Ridge listening on the radio. Yes, “The Shot” was exciting, thrilling, beyond describing on the radio.
    Bob Green

Freshman year. Watched in my fraternity’s commons with about 30 people.

Remember that even after Woods hit the shot to take the lead, no one left. Also remember the dog pile and mass hug after the shot.

Idk, doing 6 month old things

Sitting (and then standing, then jumping up and down) in front of the TV at my parents' house in Charlotte, watching with their fellow Duke fan friends, losing our ever loving minds.

Then, my parents phone started to ring off the hook from friends. For your young folks, "phones" used to hang on the wall and were attached by a cord. You couldn't get texts, and you could only talk to one person at a time. But if your team won, your friends would call to commiserate. Unfortunately, if your team lost, the same might happen.

I thought I was going to get a heart attack at the end

While the shot was incredible, the previous couple of plays were amazing as well.

I still remember that when the ball left Christian's hand I thought, My God, this just might go in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was at sea aboard the USS Blue Ridge listening on the radio. Yes, “The Shot” was exciting, thrilling, beyond describing on the radio.
    Bob Harris?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bob Harris?
    Nope. American Forces Radio and Television Service so probably the CBS feed. USS Blue Ridge is homeported in Yokosuka, Japan so I was underway in the Pacific Ocean/Philippine Sea.
    Bob Green

I am precisely where I was then, probably making me The Most Boring Man In The World....so much so that I don't even do beer commercials.

My Dad had passed away the year before(July 8th, 1991) and being the only child, I had moved back home to take care of my Mom as she was not in good health. So, I was home watching the game on television. I remember so many ups and downs in the game and my emotions were off the charts. Honestly, when Grant made the pass I didn't have much confidence in someone even catching the pass. But man was I so wrong and I let out a yell that our neighbors probably heard. I remember my Mom asked me what in the world was going on and I said I just got a little gift from above. Then I thanked my Lord. That shot meant a lot to me and I'll never forget it.

I was dating a girl @ UNC and watch the 2nd half & overtime in her dorm. When Woods hit the last UK shot, I swear every person in that dorm & the surrounding dorms erupted. It was the most gut-wrenching feeling being around all those Tar Heels and their smugness them thinking we'd lost.

But as I watched during the timeout, I said to her that it wasn't over. I remember telling her that I was surprised they'd (UK) called a TO... that they gave us time to figure something out & that it was dumb. This whole time, all you could here was the shouts of joy from the Tar Heel students.

When "the shot" went in, I ran deliriously up & down the outside hallway screaming to the top of my lungs. Their silence was deafening, minus the choice words hurled in my direction. It was the most beautiful sound.
    Last edited by g4orce; 03-28-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I was there. On the floor in the end zone, approximately ten rows directly behind Grant Hill when he threw the pass. I stood on my chair, so I had approximately the same view as Grant did.
    I was in the first deck, 20-30 rows above you. I can't believe you didn't say "hi".