Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I had assembled 10-12 of my best buds at Chiocca’s on Belmont in Richmond. Many left as game went to OT and it was late. We settled main bar/food tab w very generous tip. Prolly had 9-10 pitchers betwixt us. So my buds leave and i stay for OT starting a new tab.
    Have mayb 2 beers in OT, close out and leave minimal 2nd tip.
    Go to my car and waitress follows me out I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about her tip
    Having just tipped her about $50 previously, i was miffed.
    Went back in and slapped a $20 on the bar and told the owner (friend and golfing buddy) i’d not be back.

She was fired later that week and i was a regular for over 20 years. She was awful, no regrets there.
    That’s my memory, all that great emotion sapped by a pitiful response.
    Replay comes on at 10 tonite, gonna watch and enjoy without a server to disrupt.
    Go Duke!!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    "In the room where it happened"!

Such a great experience!
    There with you in the building, standing next to Elizabeth in the upper deck (about mid-court.) I know I said "I can't believe it'll end this way" (Our runs to the FF.) Afterwards, I screamed in her ear "I can't believe he did it again" after the 1990 "Special" shot.

My parents were heading from NJ to Australia, via SF. They got on the plane (EWR to SFO) just as the game went into overtime. When they landed, they asked innocently "who won the Duke game?"

I also remember reading that Mike Gminski was in DC playing for Charlotte. He had heard that Kentucky had gone up so he knew Duke was almost finished. He heard a loud cheer and knew Duke had pulled it out (they put the score up), and he "just threw my hands up in the air and celebrated on the court.”

https://thetandd.com/sports/remember...871e3ce6c.html

Clear as today

In Phoenix with clients...I excused myself and watched the game alone in my hotel room. Called my dad and we celebrated...both agreeing it was the most amazing game we had ever seen. It was a happy conversation and the last one we were to have. He died the next afternoon.

Watching at home. Hubby banished me to the den downstairs, ‘ cause I was yelling so much and scaring the kids ( 9 & 6).
    Remember yelling to Christian: “ Don’t dribble the dam* ball!!!”

First time my hubby ever heard me cuss🙄

At the Spectrum, in the upper part of the upper deck, which had to be accessed by a rickety staircase from the top of the lower part of the upper deck. I was at about the far free-throw line. Pretty close to an out-of-body experience.

(I was also at the other Laettner regional final buzzer-beater vs UConn in the Meadowlands in 1990. Thanks Christian.)

Sadly it’s no longer today EDT.

I was 12 years old and watched the game with my mom and dad; my 6 year old sister was home but wasn't following the game. All 3 of us were actually rooting against Duke(my dad is an Arkansas fan so there was bitterness that lingered from the 1990 final four). I can remember needing to go to the bathroom throughout the entire overtime but not wanting to leave the TV and risk missing a play. After Woods made the go ahead basket, I got up and stood behind the couch so I could watch Duke's season end on what I assumed would be a missed desperation heave from halfcourt. As soon as Laettner caught the ball I knew Kentucky was in trouble. After the shot went through the net, I didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore... I was just numb.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So you were exactly 9 rows behind Jason Evens, who was on the first row (listen to the DBR podcast if you haven't)!

I was also on about the 10th row, right behind Grant. Friends had gone to the first game and said they’d try to get tickets for the regional final if we won. i debated whether I wanted to travel all the way to Philadelphia from NY, for about 10 seconds. Better than my average decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjonson View Post
    In Phoenix with clients...I excused myself and watched the game alone in my hotel room. Called my dad and we celebrated...both agreeing it was the most amazing game we had ever seen. It was a happy conversation and the last one we were to have. He died the next afternoon.

Wow... that is brutal man. I was sorry to lose my grandfather but quite frankly that wasn't nearly as painful as the day I lost my father.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Sadly it’s no longer today EDT.
    I was at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall restaurant Half Tyme in Forest Hills shopping center in Derm.

It was standing room only with Duke fans and several co-workers including one UNCheat fan and my formerly Cheat fan wife. The place was nuts with everyone jumping up and down with every good Duke play.

When the "almost shot" went through, you could hear a pin drop.

During the timeout the only one that spoke was the Cheat fan that said. "it's not over yet, Duke could still win." SMH

Seconds later when "The Shot" fell through, the place erupted and people were hugging and screaming and literally dancing on the tables.

Unfortunately, the incompetent staff were unable to get folks their checks in a reasonable time so many just left. It was symptomatic and the place went out of business taking that memory with them.

My then-wife and i were traveling back from SC to Raleigh. The weather was terrible with heavy rain and winds....I had the game on a station coming out of Florence SC heading up I-95. The station started fading and i tried to find another...this was with about 6 mins to go in the game.

miles later, i finally found a weak station and the time was down to a little over a minute left. I pulled over on the side of I95 and just sat there in the pouring rain listening to a crackley broadcast. The reception was coming and going, but we did hear the last 10 seconds....

sitting in the car, screaming !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Laettner shot 91% from the floor in his 4 regional finals

I was there at the Spectrum in the Duke section. Being from the Philadelphia area and a senior in the Class of '92, the stars aligned rather nicely.

It is hard to believe how clutch Laettner was in his 4 regional finals...shot 31-34 from the floor in those games for an astounding 91%!

9 for 10 vs. Alonzo and G'town in 1989
    7 for 8 and game-winning shot vs. UConn in 1990
    5 for 6 vs. St. John's in 1991
    10 for 10 vs. UK in 1992

This is not mention 10-10 from the line vs UK

a day late to this thread: In my first year of grad school, watching the game on a crappy B&W TV in my tiny room trying to hold bunny ears antennae in the right direction while going out of my mind. Unfortunately none of my grad school friends cared about basketball, much less Duke basketball, so I couldn't share my excitement.

I was in the bar/cafe at my local country club named “The Kentucky Room.” (I lived in a Kentucky at that time) The room was crowded with Kentucky fans. The whole game I kept asking my wife why we hadn’t stayed at home to watch the game. When Kentucky scored with a few seconds left the UK fans thought the game was over. I thought so too. My wife, a UNC grad, told me there was time left. The rest is history. I heard one older female UK fan say she was going home and stick her head in the gas oven. Being my usual self, somewhat of an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I offered free drinks to all. No one accepted my offer. At that time having graduated from law school at UK I was not a UK hater. I became one after the UK fans bought up the tickets to the Duke/IU NCAA game in 1992 and booed Duke the entire game. I told my wife the difference in Carolina and UK fans is if you gave Carolina fans free tickets they wouldn’t walk across the street to see Duke play, but U.K. fans came and cheered IU which was their biggest nemesis when I was in law school in the early 70’s. Although most of my friends are U.K. fans I will always root for the team they are playing!

At some point I'll have to watch the 1992 championship game again...remarkable in how out of it Laettner was in the first half, he was a walking zombie...and then we humiliated the pesky Wolverines in the second half...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah. My bad.
    It’s ok. I forgive you. Actually, my most vivid memory is the dead silence in the area immediately after the ball went through the net and before the crowd had time to react. I’ve never experienced anything like it either before or after.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-29-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

In my childhood I was fortunate to have a housekeeper named Gladys Walston . Four siblings and a single Mother. My father was an ENT professor of the Duke Medical School and a close friend of Dr. George Baylin. He passed away of a heart attack suffered in NYC.Dr. Baylin was the Baylin of the Baylin-Swett award Jack White recently won. Gladys was celebrating her retirement from the VA as a registered nurse. I believe it was at the Sheraton in the Research Triangle near RDU.I recall leaving the room and watching near the closest TV. I about had a heart attack. I did get to see the SHOT! Laettner was 100% from the line and the field. Thank god he was not ejected for the Timberlake foot tap. Stomp was an inaccurate reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I was in the bar/cafe at my local country club named “The Kentucky Room.” (I lived in a Kentucky at that time) The room was crowded with Kentucky fans. The whole game I kept asking my wife why we hadn’t stayed at home to watch the game. When Kentucky scored with a few seconds left the UK fans thought the game was over. I thought so too. My wife, a UNC grad, told me there was time left. The rest is history. I heard one older female UK fan say she was going home and stick her head in the gas oven. Being my usual self, somewhat of an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I offered free drinks to all. No one accepted my offer. At that time having graduated from law school at UK I was not a UK hater. I became one after the UK fans bought up the tickets to the Duke/IU NCAA game in 1992 and booed Duke the entire game. I told my wife the difference in Carolina and UK fans is if you gave Carolina fans free tickets they wouldn’t walk across the street to see Duke play, but U.K. fans came and cheered IU which was their biggest nemesis when I was in law school in the early 70’s. Although most of my friends are U.K. fans I will always root for the team they are playing!
    What do the older fans say about Jeff Mullins who is still alive who came from Lexington. Ky to form the most prolific scoring duo in Duke basketball history,Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins. Vince Taylor is also from Lexington. The UK fans were probably pissed about him attending Duke. Taylor is an assistant coach for UCF under Johnny Dawkins.
    https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArt...CLID=211766091
    Last edited by heyman25; 03-29-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add additional facts.

In 8th grade English class.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    In 8th grade English class.
    On a Saturday??
    "Amazing what a minute can do."