Congrats to Vernon Carey, Jr.!

Voted National Freshman of the Year by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

http://sportswriters.net/usbwa/awards/index.html

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...an-of-the-year

Spectacular! That's an awesome honor.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Congrats Vernon!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Very happy for Vernon. Still amazes me that after winning NFOY, and being first team All-ACC, and probably could have won ACC POY if Duke had submitted his name, and being somewhat in contention (at least in talks) for NPOY for most of the season, how he is still projected to go towards end of the first round. It's amazing how much the NBA landscape has changed when you think about how 5 years ago, Jah had similar numbers per 40 minutes and similar accolades, and was a top 3 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    Very happy for Vernon. Still amazes me that after winning NFOY, and being first team All-ACC, and probably could have won ACC POY if Duke had submitted his name, and being somewhat in contention (at least in talks) for NPOY for most of the season, how he is still projected to go towards end of the first round. It's amazing how much the NBA landscape has changed when you think about how 5 years ago, Jah had similar numbers per 40 minutes and similar accolades, and was a top 3 pick.
    I'll disagree with you here, if I understand your point correctly, and mention that quite often an ACC POY will not be a great fit for the league, just because the NBA values different qualities than college does, and it is not due to a recent landscape change.

List of ACC POYs who predate Jah, who also did not do much in the league:

1999–00 Chris Carrawell
    2000–01 Joseph Forte
    2001–02 Juan Dixon
    2003–04 Julius Hodge
    2007–08 Tyler Hansbrough
    2008–09 Ty Lawson
    2009–10 Greivis Vasquez
    2010–11 Nolan Smith
    2011–12 Tyler Zeller
    2012–13 Erick Green
    2012–13 Shane Larkin
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I'll disagree with you here, if I understand your point correctly, and mention that quite often an ACC POY will not be a great fit for the league, just because the NBA values different qualities than college does, and it is not due to a recent landscape change.

List of ACC POYs who predate Jah, who also did not do much in the league:

1999–00 Chris Carrawell
    2000–01 Joseph Forte
    2001–02 Juan Dixon
    2003–04 Julius Hodge
    2007–08 Tyler Hansbrough
    2008–09 Ty Lawson
    2009–10 Greivis Vasquez
    2010–11 Nolan Smith
    2011–12 Tyler Zeller
    2012–13 Erick Green
    2012–13 Shane Larkin
    The shorter list may be ACC POY's who did well in the NBA.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Might disagree on Lawson -- he got three years at $10M++ -- and he scored nearly 7,000 points. Julius Hodge -- shot in April of a fairly unproductive rookie season -- sigh'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

List of ACC POYs who predate Jah, who also did not do much in the league...
    So my point wasn't that Jah was an ACC POY and that ACC POY's would do well in the league. My point wasn't even that the NBA values different qualities than college does. My point was in comparing their stats over their one season at Duke:

Jah Per 40 Minutes
    Code:
    G	GS	MP	FG	FGA	FG%	2P	2PA	2P%	3P	3PA	3P%	FT	FTA	FT%	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	PF	PTS	PER
    38	38	1143	9.8	14.7	.664	9.8	14.7	.664	0.0	0.0		3.5	6.8	.510	11.3	1.7	1.0	1.9	3.3	2.8	23.0	30.73
    Vernon Per 40 Minutes
    Code:
    G	GS	MP	FG	FGA	FG%	2P	2PA	2P%	3P	3PA	3P%	FT	FTA	FT%	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	PF	PTS	PER
    31	30	772	10.3	17.9	.577	9.9	16.8	.590	0.4	1.1	.381	7.6	11.3	.670	14.1	1.6	1.1	2.5	3.3	4.4	28.6	34.1
    Per 40 minutes, Vernon had better 3P%, FT%, more rebounds, more steals, more blocks, more points, and a much better player efficiency rating. Jah had a better FG%, 2P%, slightly more assists (+0.1), and less fouls. Sports-Reference hasn't updated their Player Efficiency Rating Single Season Leaders and Records for this season yet, but Jah's 30.73 ranks him as No. 81 on the list. Vernon's 34.1 would put him at No. 17, just ahead of Damian Lillard, and right behind Frank Kaminsky and DeMarcus Cousins. This is by no means supposed to be a knock on Jah. I love that dude and I love everything he did for our program. But based on stats alone, Vernon was a better player in almost every statistical category. Jah was the best freshman in the country. So was Vernon. Jah was the best player in the ACC. Some argue so was Vernon (even though you can't go wrong with Tre). Jah was a consensus All-American. So was Vernon. And the thing that the NBA values most in a big man (stepping out and hitting the 3), Vernon was better and probably is better than current NBA Jah.

So my point was I find it interesting that Jah was a top 3 pick and for some of the season in the running to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, and Vernon can't even crack the lottery, let alone the top 2/3 of the first round. How could that not be due to a recent landscape change? If Vernon had played just 5 years ago, he probably would have been a top 3 pick, at least based on comparable (and better) stats to Jah.

Hopefully Vernon has a better start to his NBA career than Jah did...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Hopefully Vernon has a better start to his NBA career than Jah did...
    Okafor actually had a pretty good start to his NBA career.

It's what came next . . .

For the record, Okafor averaged 17.5 ppg. 7.0 rpg, 1.2 bpg, while shooting 50.8 percent from the field his first season. Stardom loomed.

Until it didn't.

And he's still only 24.