Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips to deal with social distancing

From the space station

“We had to come up with creative ways to interact,” Koch said. “Anything that allows you to bridge that physical gap, and make you feel like you still have shared experiences and are still relevant in each other’s lives, is really important. There’s something to be said for actually doing the same things at the same physical time.”
    I have a 16yo going stircrazy in the house; he's spending a lot of time on various group chats. We're talking (imagine that!), playing pool, and watching a movie every evening. We saw The Big Lebowski last night - first time for both of us. He's about to start cooking dinner most nights - a bunch of recipes we haven't tried before.

Distance learning starts next week...

-jk

What we're trying

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is our family go-to in the evenings (I have a 15yo Freshman and 18yo Senior). We've got a puzzle going that my son and I will work on together off-and-on, and we have been playing the occasional board game as a family.

It is nice because we are eating dinner together every night since they have no out-of-the-house activities and haven't had much homework yet through the distance learning at school.

My wife and I have joined a couple group video chats with our friends. My daughter has video-assisted "lunch" with her core group of friends every day at the same time which has helped her routine. We're suggesting the same for our son...we'll see if that helps him.

Would love to hear other ideas from folks...we're doing ok mood-wise for now, but the longer this drags out I can see us going stir crazy!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Zoom-based bourbon hour tomorrow night. Should be interesting. Hope it’s not recorded.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Zoom-based bourbon hour tomorrow night. Should be interesting. Hope it’s not recorded.
    Can anyone join in?

No kids and still able to go to the office - although most are working at home. Had Zoom Youth Group on Sunday (so good to see them all) and Emmaus Reunion Group on Tuesday am. Going to see about setting up a family Zoom Farkle game. Things where you see faces are great.

Day 8, nobody's killed anyone in the house yet!

One of the toughest things for me is working from home with a 15 and 18 year old here. My wife is a case manager/social worker at WakeMed Acute Rehab so she's still going to work. I'm trying to work regular hours, a good old fashioned 9-5 with a lunch break. Somedays it's working some days, not so much.

Here's what the family has been doing to adjust:
    • We have gone for walks/jogs outside either with the kids or in one case with friends (usual hugs were not exchanged, walked around Lake Lynn)
    • I've been cooking more than usual. Luckily for my family, I'm a decent cook. I've been googling different things to cook and we have been having more meals together (doesn't always happen when things are normal because of 4 different schedules for jobs/sports, etc)
    • After dinner (or sometimes during dinner) we have been playing different board games each night. Last night we started a game of Monopoly (at least one of my girls is ruthless!).
    • Our dining room table is covered with jigsaw puzzles
    • My youngest daughter and I painted her room. It was Fuchsia (from the previous owner). It took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint. We finished Monday night and are now working on getting the room cleaned up and ready for use.
    • Teenagers are so used to contacting people on their phones that in some ways this is an easier transition for them. They have grown up with Facetime, Snapchat, Istragram, text, etc. My kids are on their phones a good bit, especially my oldest who is very socially active.

Here’s one tip... don’t do this:

Pffft. We started Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub (yay, fuse!!) back in August, 2019, IIRC. Come join us sometime (obviously cardiology approved)! Davec, our host earlier this month, hasn't volunteered, err, nominated a host yet, so we're waiting on him and a TBD "bartender" for our April meeting time/date/style of beer.

I've read two books the last two weeks (see Reading thread) and have nearly caught up on my specialty medical journals in that time, too. Our local library is closed so I may propose a book exchange with some neighbors and/or friends.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pffft. We started Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub (yay, fuse!!) back in August, 2019, IIRC. Come join us sometime (obviously cardiology approved)! Davec, our host earlier this month, hasn't volunteered, err, nominated a host yet, so we're waiting on him and a TBD "bartender" for our April meeting time/date/style of beer.

Davec reached out to me and I agreed to "host" the Virtual Pub! I just need to pick a style, which is proving a bit difficult since we have already cycled through many of the varieties already...
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Davec reached out to me and I agreed to "host" the Virtual Pub! I just need to pick a style, which is proving a bit difficult since we have already cycled through many of the varieties already...
    Do you have a list of all the previous styles and prior hosts? If so, great. If not, lemme know and I'll send you the updated list. Happy to help in any way, either on this thread, on Ymm, Beer or via PM.

Thanks!!

The new norm

Captures my life between Zooms and WebExs these days. (Not my Airedale, but ... you get it)

Stay well, all!

Dog on cabinet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Captures my life between Zooms and WebExs these days. (Not my Airedale, but ... you get it)

Stay well, all!

Dog on cabinet.jpg
    Yeah, I know. I’ve even started calling the IRS just to chat.

This is our first week "back" at school after spring break. We're only 4 days in, but so far so good. The kids have seemed a little crazier than normal, but they're 2 and 4 so who knows?

I've been pleasantly surprised with everything my kid's pre-school has been doing. They setup a private YouTube channel and all of the teachers have started posting videos, even the ancillary teachers like Spanish, motor skills, and language lab. My kids really enjoyed getting to see their teachers. We even learned that one of the PreK teachers fosters animals, including an 80-pound land tortoise.

The Pre-K class has been trying to stick with the curriculum and the kid's are sharing pictures and videos related to the weekly topics.

My wife has been walking our kids through "circle time" and the other tasks they normally do each day. They even started adding stuffed animals to the circle in place of their friends.

Today, my 4-yr old got to have a Zoom "clinic" with his indoor soccer coach where he had the kids go through drills and exercises.

The Houston Zoo (like many others) has been doing daily "meet the keeper" talks on Facebook Live.

We've also watched a few of author/illustrator Mo Willem's videos where the kids gets to draw along with him.

Upon learning that he wouldn't be able to go back to school because of the coronavirus, my 4-yr old's response was "but then how am I going to learn?!" While screen time has certainly increased, I'm thankful to those who are helping to make sure there are still plenty of learning opportunities for kids of all ages.

And a new weekly virtual gathering is born.

Not that the bourbon was really the point, but I went with a Knob Creek 100 proof small batch. Pandemic? What pandemic?

Not that the bourbon was really the point, but I went with a Knob Creek 100 proof small batch. Pandemic? What pandemic?
    Not on Zoom yet, but someone let me know when, where and how. Woodford Reserve, or if scotch is acceptable my Balvenie 12-year double-wood standard. Can do.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not on Zoom yet, but someone let me know when, where and how. Woodford Reserve, or if scotch is acceptable my Balvenie 12-year double-wood standard. Can do.
    After the KY Bourbon Trail, a Ymmm, Bourbon Virtual Pub/Bar might be tempting but it may also be a bad idea with all the Ymm, Beers I already have .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    After the KY Bourbon Trail, a Ymmm, Bourbon Virtual Pub/Bar might be tempting but it may also be a bad idea with all the Ymm, Beers I already have .
    “liquor after beer, never fear. Beer after liquor, switch back to liquor and see the preceding sentence.”

— Hippocrates, I’m pretty sure.

Sounds like we need a pan-ETOHlic pub meeting.

Got in 18 at Carolina colours today in new bern. Beautiful day,family so happy to get out of the house, and my son got his first birdie.

Our town set up a bear hunt for the small fry to find - no touching allowed.

My son tried out his new tele lens

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Our town set up a bear hunt for the small fry to find - no touching allowed.

My son tried out his new tele lens

-jk

Should we tell him that a few of those aren't bears? I think this is such a cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Should we tell him that a few of those aren't bears? I think this is such a cool idea.
    Some other friends were feeling left out. <jan brady>Bears! Bears! Bears!</jan brady>

-jk