Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    that sounds kinda like exactly what we're expecting next year''s team will need (if in fact, any b-ball gets played). Even if he ends up just playing a Javin-esque mentor to young studs role, that has value too. Although Javin frustrated many fans, myself included, since his amazing physical tools didn't really turn into the productivity many salivated over, his presence on the team was important. If Patrick produces roughly what Javin did as a Sr. (~4pts & 4 rebs pg), along with good leadership, then that will be seen as a successful use of the grad-school transfer rule for Duke basketball, any production beyond that is pure gold.
    I would expect Tape to be more productive than DeLaurier, not necessarily because he's better but because the context will be different. DeLaurier shared time at the center spot with a consensus All-American and national freshman of the year. Tape will be sharing time at center with a freshman whom one can reasonably expect to be less productive than Carey.

Hence more minutes for Tape, which hopefully leads to more points, rebounds and blocks.

That said, I'd take 8, 6 and 1 in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would expect Tape to be more productive than DeLaurier, not necessarily because he's better but because the context will be different. DeLaurier shared time at the center spot with a consensus All-American and national freshman of the year. Tape will be sharing time at center with a freshman whom one can reasonably expect to be less productive than Carey.

Hence more minutes for Tape, which hopefully leads to more points, rebounds and blocks.

Don't forget those all important 4-5 fouls, too...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

On the pod I predicted 7-8, 5-6 rebs and a block per game. That would be huge for Duke.

I think Tapés impact will depend on whether he is ahead of Williams in the rotation and on how much Hurt can play center. If Hurt is good for 10 mpg at center and Tape is behind Williams, he could have a very Jav like impact. I also think Stanley’s decision will impact Hurt’s role. Hurt is a traditional 4 like Ferry and Ryan whereas Johnson projects as a Tatum/Ingram stretch 4. If Moore and Stanley play 30 mpg each at 2/3, that pushes Johnson to the 4 and Hurt to the 5. Who wins out between Tape and Williams is a toss up imo. I’d give Tape the advantage early based on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think Tapés impact will depend on whether he is ahead of Williams in the rotation and on how much Hurt can play center. If Hurt is good for 10 mpg at center and Tape is behind Williams, he could have a very Jav like impact. I also think Stanley’s decision will impact Hurt’s role. Hurt is a traditional 4 like Ferry and Ryan whereas Johnson projects as a Tatum/Ingram stretch 4. If Moore and Stanley play 30 mpg each at 2/3, that pushes Johnson to the 4 and Hurt to the 5. Who wins out between Tape and Williams is a toss up imo. I’d give Tape the advantage early based on experience.
    Others are predicting Coleman in that role, perhaps even as a starter. It just points out the position is really open to all three at this point. Having options is great to lessen the old injury bug (foot injuries) and the propensity of freshmen to foul.

Tapé fills a positional need. He has NCAA D1 experiences and has played against some big conference players. But how he does after taking a year off and transitioning from Ivy League to ACC is to be seen.

From all accounts, as a JR he posted a pretty good PPG average, yet a, "ok" RPG average and he did alter shots.

Now what has he done in that season off? He is listed anywhere from 220-232. What will he show up to Duke at?

He has a similar body to Jav. He looks to be more confident and more polished as a post scorer than Jav, but can he be a decent defender or will he be 5 quick fouls like Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    ...but can he be a decent defender or will he be 5 quick fouls like Jav
    Javin was an outstanding defender, one of Duke's top defenders for three years. I'll be very surprised if Patrick can defend as well as Javin did.

Also, Javin only got 5 fouls in three games out of 31 this season. He had fewer fouls per 40 minutes than everybody's favorite minor deity, Brian Zoubek, did as a senior in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Others are predicting Coleman in that role, perhaps even as a starter.
    If I'm not mistaken, one not-particularly-well-regarded blogger has suggested Henry Coleman will start or play big minutes. It doesn't really point out anything. Although I am a bit surprised that you've given up on Keenan Worthington as a rotation player.

Apologies if this was already posted, and sorry again that it's paywalled - but a good article about Tape and his recruitement:

https://theathletic.com/1709291/2020...-spot-for-him/

I agree Patrick should get more opportunity next season than Javin got this season. I'd probably expect him to be more productive on offense on a per 40 basis. Not sure about rebounding and defensive stats, though.

Patrick only played 6 games against Big-6 competition in his three years at Columbia. His two strongest such games (by far) came in 2109 against lower division teams (BC, 5-13 in the ACC; Northwestern, 4-16 in the Big 10). He didn't perform so well against middle- or upper-tier teams, though those four games all came in 2017 and 2018, so his better 2019 performances might show maturity and improvement, rather than simply feasting on lesser Big-6 opponents. That said, in the aforementioned six games, Patrick averaged 17.8 mpg, and scored 8.5 ppg with 3.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 0.67 bpg, 0.33 spg, 1.7 TOpg, and 4.0 PFpg.

Here are Patrick's per 40 minute numbers in the six games (usual caveat about low sample size), compared to Javin DeLaurier's career per 40 minute numbers against the ACC (league games only):

Code:
    Player		pp40	rp40	ap40	bp40	sp40	TOp40	PFp40	FG%	FT%
    Tape		19.1	6.8	0.0	1.5	0.7	3.8	9.0	74.2%	83.3%
    DeLaurier	9.8	10.0	0.9	2.7	1.8	2.2	7.1	65.3%	60.4%
    Looking at these numbers, when up against Big-6 competition, he appears to be much better at scoring but significantly worse than Javin at rebounding and defensive stats. And those who were hoping for someone who turned it over less than Javin and/or doesn't foul so much may be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree Patrick should get more opportunity next season than Javin got this season. I'd probably expect him to be more productive on offense on a per 40 basis. Not sure about rebounding and defensive stats, though.

Patrick only played 6 games against Big-6 competition in his three years at Columbia. His two strongest such games (by far) came in 2109 against lower division teams (BC, 5-13 in the ACC; Northwestern, 4-16 in the Big 10).
    Good idea to look at Tapés performance vs major conference opponents. Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, it looks like you may have missed Columbia's game vs Rutgers during the 2018-19 season. If so, this adds another game where Tape was solid offensively (15 pts on 6-8 FG shooting in 28 min), but mediocre at best in other statistical categories (4 reb, 4 TO, 3 fouls, 0 blk, 0 ast).

Tape looks strong and tough. Been enjoying watching his videos. Also excited for Mark Williams too. Duke will be stout in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Good idea to look at Tapés performance vs major conference opponents. Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, it looks like you may have missed Columbia's game vs Rutgers during the 2018-19 season. If so, this adds another game where Tape was solid offensively (15 pts on 6-8 FG shooting in 28 min), but mediocre at best in other statistical categories (4 reb, 4 TO, 3 fouls, 0 blk, 0 ast).
    Yeah, I did miss Rutgers. Forgot they were in a major conference. They were also pretty low in the Big 10 standings (7-13 record), so we still don't know if his strong offensive performances in 2019 were due to him being a much improved player or because he was playing bottom-feeding Big-6 teams.

Below are updated per 40 minute numbers in Patrick's seven games against Big-6 competition (usual caveat about low sample size), compared to Javin DeLaurier's career per 40 minute numbers against the ACC (league games only). Doesn't change much in the analysis.

Code:
    Player		pp40	rp40	ap40	bp40	sp40	TOp40	PFp40	FG%	FT%
    Tape		19.6	6.5	0.0	1.2	0.9	4.1	8.0	74.4%	80.0%
    DeLaurier	9.8	10.0	0.9	2.7	1.8	2.2	7.1	65.3%	60.4%

There are rumblings about this transfer not being 100% hitting the social media universe today. Anyone heard the same?

@AdamRoweTDD
    Duke Basketball grad transfer in question? https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...fer-145638825/ via
    @TheDevilsDen

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Alrighty then 👌

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    I see this as evidence that Hurt is coming back or that Duke realized Henry Coleman will be a solid contributor from day one (not sure how that second part could happen given that everyone is homebound at the moment).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I see this as evidence that Hurt is coming back or that Duke realized Henry Coleman will be a solid contributor from day one (not sure how that second part could happen given that everyone is homebound at the moment).
    Or Vernon wanting a shot at a Natty. 😆

That was fast!

How long was Carrick Felix committed for?

I wonder why Tape didn't stick with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I haven't seen any evidence that he decommitted due to a change in Duke's expected roster, but maybe you're right...Coleman's presence is nothing new, of course...Occam's razor, sometimes a kid just changes his mind...

Can't really see Hurt being much of a threat to PT for a traditional post guy...