Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Great news. Tape gives us some more versatility and options inside. We appear to have a lot of options on the perimeter, so it is nice to now have options inside.

I found a highlight video. He looks pretty good against Ivy League opponents. Reasonably mobile and can initiate from outside the paint. Actually kind of reminds me of Vernon Carey how he seals his man or goes right into and through his defender, though obviously his level of competition has been much lower. Would love to get 15mpg out of him. Sounds like a great addition in terms of his size, ability, experience, and academics. Without him, who would Williams have even gone against in practice?

Can Tape be our glue?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Can Tape be our glue?
    Welcome!

He's very likely to stick closely to his opponents while playing D.

And, of course, seal off the defender while he's playing down low.

(I'm done. I swear it. For now.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

He is going to get minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Welcome!

He's very likely to stick closely to his opponents while playing D.

And, of course, seal off the defender while he's playing down low.

(I'm done. I swear it. For now.)
    His photographic memory will, ummm, record every play.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Welcome to Duke! We were definitely light on the frontcourt so good to get another body there who could go to work.

So, if I'm counting correctly we're at 14 scholarships currently for next year. I assume Carey is going pro which brings us to 13...Do I have my numbers right? (Buckmire as a former walk on could also go off scholly if needed I assume.)

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Welcome to Duke! We were definitely light on the frontcourt so good to get another body there who could go to work.

So, if I'm counting correctly we're at 14 scholarships currently for next year. I assume Carey is going pro which brings us to 13...Do I have my numbers right? (Buckmire as a former walk on could also go off scholly if needed I assume.)
    Buckmire has a scholy right now, right? Since he was a walk on would there be a scenario where they ask him to give his scholarship back? Obviously not the kindest thing to do, but maybe if it meant Vernon coming back... a man can dream, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Buckmire has a scholy right now, right? Since he was a walk on would there be a scenario where they ask him to give his scholarship back? Obviously not the kindest thing to do, but maybe if it meant Vernon coming back... a man can dream, haha.
    My understanding is that's how "preferred walk-on" status works. If the school has a scholarship available they may offer it to you, but it's on a year-to-year basis and nothing is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke gets it's Ivy League grad transfer. Tape is a 6'10" C from Charlotte and played 4 years at Columbia University in NYC. He is coming home to North Carolina (and donning a much better shade of blue, I might add).

Definitely a better shade of blue - I am emeritus Columbia faculty and, in all of the years I've been here, never went to a bball game simply because I could not root for THAT shade of blue
    Last edited by -jk; 03-24-2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Walk-ons are not guaranteed scholarships. If there is one left over, they get it. But they signed on to be there without scholarship, so no scholarship is the expectation.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke gets it's Ivy League grad transfer. Tape is a 6'10" C from Charlotte and played 4 years at Columbia University in NYC. He is coming home to North Carolina (and donning a much better shade of blue, I might add).
    Nothing wrong with the original color, it’s the copycats/ripoffs down the road that’s the problem.

(If my dad had ever posted here, he would have been CU50.)

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

He is going to get minutes.
    1 for 1 on 3s! Could he be the next Marshall Plumlee?!

I've been predicting a grad-student transfer for five years.

So, I guess I'm at the Mendoza line.

But this is the wave of the future and I suspect Tape is the first of many.

And about time. Because it's the wave of the future and all.

I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    1 for 1 on 3s! Could he be the next Marshall Plumlee?!
    How is 1 for 1 99.9%?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    How is 1 for 1 99.9%?
    I noticed the same thing. I'm sure kenpom does that for some reason... Perhaps such a small sample calculating it as 100% messes up his algorithm as it relates to other calcs/figures.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I found a highlight video. He looks pretty good against Ivy League opponents. Reasonably mobile and can initiate from outside the paint. Actually kind of reminds me of Vernon Carey how he seals his man or goes right into and through his defender, though obviously his level of competition has been much lower. Would love to get 15mpg out of him. Sounds like a great addition in terms of his size, ability, experience, and academics. Without him, who would Williams have even gone against in practice?

Give him the ball--he never misses!

Welcome to Duke Patrick Tape!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...o-patrick-tape

Seems to potentially have some foul trouble issues, but still excited given the need we have for depth
    Just checked with local officials at LJVM in Winston-Salem, and they said he'll begin the 2021 game with 2 fouls.

Oh, great, another one-and-done!