Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Tapé replay - Patrick recommits to Duke!!

Duke gets it's Ivy League grad transfer. Tape is a 6'10" C from Charlotte and played 4 years at Columbia University in NYC. He is coming home to North Carolina (and donning a much better shade of blue, I might add).

According to Jeff Borzello of ESPN, Tape had the following to say:

"It was really just being close to home and having my family come see me, the excellent tradition they have there, and the opportunity to play for the best coach of all time."

Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape? How likely is he to contribute? Is he expected to start over Mark Williams?

How is his name pronounced? Ta-pay?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape? How likely is he to contribute? Is he expected to start over Mark Williams?
    He started to get serious minutes a junior, in 2018-19. In October of '19, he announced that he was going to sit out for the year and grad transfer. He's immediately eligible.

From what I have seen, he's a solid Division I center if not remarkable. He was efficient around the rim in 18-19, hitting 66.7% of his shots, nearly all of it close to the rim. Good rebounder, reasonably athletic. My expectation is that he will push Mark Williams for minutes if Coach K decides to play a true 5 but that Williams should still be able to win most of the minutes. Williams is taller, longer, and much more athletic. But Tape is a grown man. He's got the size to compete with nearly anyone at the college level. I like the fit as he offers exactly what Duke fans were nervous about: size, rebounding, a little shot blocking, and depth.

Is he a PF or a C? Either way, 6’10” senior brings height and experience, two things that are lacking

He looks to be an experienced big man who sat out last year to preserve eligibility. He averaged 11 pts and 6 rebounds and shot about 70% from the line. He is a big body, legit 6' 10" 240 and moves well. I think he will start.

Most importantly, folks need to know how to say his name. It is not like:

It is Tuh-pay with very little pause between the two syllables. Don't make it Tuh...Pay. It is Tuhpay.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    How is his name pronounced? Ta-pay?
    Yes, the emphasis is on PAY, as in, PAY YOUR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He looks to be an experienced big man who sat out last year to preserve eligibility. He averaged 11 pts and 6 rebounds and shot about 70% from the line. He is a big body, legit 6' 10" 240 and moves well. I think he will start.
    Even a tick better over his last 10 games:15, 7, and a couple blocks. Hard to know how he'll adjust to the jump in competition (hoping more Seth Curry and less Justin Pierce for example), but looks to be a solid pickup.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...o-patrick-tape

Seems to potentially have some foul trouble issues, but still excited given the need we have for depth

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Most importantly, folks need to know how to say his name. It is not like:

It is Tuh-pay with very little pause between the two syllables. Don't make it Tuh...Pay. It is Tuhpay.
    That's too bad. "Duke Tape" had A LOT of potential for the crazies!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...o-patrick-tape

Seems to potentially have some foul trouble issues, but still excited given the need we have for depth
    So he takes over for Javin then lol

Welcome, Mr. Tape!

Whether major minutes and/or mainly a big help in practice, if Coach wants you with us then I’m all in. Welcome to the team, welcome to the family.

Welcome to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That's too bad. "Duke Tape" had A LOT of potential for the crazies!
    "I'm not OCD, I'm just very Tape"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As in, “If an opponent tries to challenge our frontcourt, there’ll be hell Tape”?

Experienced big man? Yes please.

Welcome to Duke!

Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape?
    Love it. Clever points.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    As in, “If an opponent tries to challenge our frontcourt, there’ll be hell Tape”?
    Very close challenge at the tape.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Experienced big man? Yes please.

Welcome to Duke!
    Amen! This seemed to be the biggest hole in our projected lineup next year, no matter who returns. Even if Tape does nothing more than play 10 mpg and use his 5 fouls, he’ll be serving a very important role.

This was more of a need than Towns by far. Great get.

Can it be November already (for multiple reasons)?

Glad to have you! Welcome to DUKE!!