Coach K's message on the front page

Go listen to it of you haven't already. It really choked me up. My husband is a doctor putting in even longer hours these days.

I truly appreciated what K says to everybody working so hard on the research, patient care and anybody supporting them while they do so!

I love Coach K!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...241457241.html
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Go listen to it of you haven't already. It really choked me up. My husband is a doctor putting in even longer hours these days.

I truly appreciated what K says to everybody working so hard on the research, patient care and anybody supporting them while they do so!

I love Coach K!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...241457241.html
    My immediate neighbors to my right are a young married couple and both are doc's. She is pediatric, he is ER. They both have been working long hours and I can tell it is getting to them. They came over for a short few minutes this evening and I grilled them burgers while their labradoodle played with our TJ(lab/golden mix. They are boyfriend and girl friend and kiss through the fence sometimes).

The kids have told me they want to do something nice for them to let them know we appreciate the hard work and stress they are going through right now but what should we do? I told them to write them a letter and let them know their feelings and bake them some brownies. I think they're both health nuts so brownies might not be the way to go.

Any ideas?

My wife suggested we offer to walk their dog, etc., to give them a few more minutes of sleep time,but I told her if I was them, walking the dog would be the highlight of my day right now.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    My immediate neighbors to my right are a young married couple and both are doc's. She is pediatric, he is ER. They both have been working long hours and I can tell it is getting to them. They came over for a short few minutes this evening and I grilled them burgers while their labradoodle played with our TJ(lab/golden mix. They are boyfriend and girl friend and kiss through the fence sometimes).

The kids have told me they want to do something nice for them to let them know we appreciate the hard work and stress they are going through right now but what should we do? I told them to write them a letter and let them know their feelings and bake them some brownies. I think they're both health nuts so brownies might not be the way to go.

Any ideas?

My wife suggested we offer to walk their dog, etc., to give them a few more minutes of sleep time,but I told her if I was them, walking the dog would be the highlight of my day right now.
    Don't know what the neighborhood is like but how about mowing their lawn, weed their garden, if trash cans need to go to the curb then haul them down or back (especially if the cans end up blocking the driveway). Surprise them with a basket of fresh fruit or vase of flowers. Just a little pick me up will probably mean a lot to them.

Any ideas?

Keep cooking them dinner.

Any ideas?

Gift certificates to a local restaurant and/or brewery or two (delivery or take-out, of course).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Food seems to be a theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think I'll smoke a shoulder for bbq sandwiches, and let them take it to work for them and their coworkers.

I think I'll smoke a shoulder for bbq sandwiches, and let them take it to work for them and their coworkers.
    Great idea!

Guessing they're on their own for the buns, slaw, green beans, potato salad and banana pudding...

However you help them, please maintain a 6'+ distance!

Help with pet care.

Anything to ease their time load.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Gift certificates to a local restaurant and/or brewery or two (delivery or take-out, of course).
    Great idea 👍🏻.

I have 3 months of food (I bought an extra freezer last month), yet every day I find myself buying take-out food from locally-owned mom-and-pop restaurants because I want to try and help them make it through this nightmarish situation. I’m just thankful they are still open and doing what they can to survive. Hats off to them.

How thoughtful and kind. I'm a fellow smoker btw. You cant go wrong w/ a bone in butt. I have a great slaw recipe if you would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    However you help them, please maintain a 6'+ distance!
    And, sorry to say, recognize that the dogs can transmit the virus between the humans.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    How thoughtful and kind. I'm a fellow smoker btw. You cant go wrong w/ a bone in butt. I have a great slaw recipe if you would like it.
    Do tell. My butt method is solid, but I'm always tinkering with the slaw.

Bought the butt today, will start smoking it tonight around midnight so I can give it to them around lunch time tomorrow.

My eleven year old is writing them a letter that I will pass along with the food, as well as offer to help with pet care, maintenance around the house and/or vehicles.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can't imagine working a 12 hour shift in a hospital or clinic in this climate.

Do tell. My butt method is solid, but I'm always tinkering with the slaw.

Bought the butt today, will start smoking it tonight around midnight so I can give it to them around lunch time tomorrow.

My eleven year old is writing them a letter that I will pass along with the food, as well as offer to help with pet care, maintenance around the house and/or vehicles.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can't imagine working a 12 hour shift in a hospital or clinic in this climate.
    This is great stuff. There's a beer or three TBD (with or without ginger ) on my tab now for your thoughts, efforts and execution of your plans. I'll pay up later this spring, summer or fall at one of the breweries in a zip code near Wilmington or a tailgate this fall. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is great stuff. There's a beer or three TBD (with or without ginger ) on my tab now for your thoughts, efforts and execution of your plans. I'll pay up later this spring, summer or fall at one of the breweries in a zip code near Wilmington or a tailgate this fall. Thanks!!
    No, thank you guys for getting us through this .

[Just, wow... look how Duke employees are pitching in. Thanks to them.]

Colleges Get Billions in Coronavirus Relief, but Say Deal Falls Short of Needs

Congress’s emergency coronavirus bill would provide colleges and universities with about $14 billion to weather shutdowns and move to distance learning. That is unlikely to be enough.

"Duke University has promised to continue paying through May 31 all of its full-time employees, including contract workers in its food service facilities and in two hotels that the university owns but that are operated by vendors. As part of that effort, Duke officials said, they might have to assign some of them to new jobs.

Last week, the university issued a call to Duke employees asking for volunteers to work in its health system. In the first hour, 650 employees had agreed; by Friday, the number had risen to more than 1,000.

“We find ourselves in extraordinary times that will likely test our mettle and strain our resources in the days ahead,” said the note to colleagues from Kyle Cavanaugh, the vice president for administration and emergency coordinator."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/u...ronavirus.html

Duke already has announced that it is cancelling all June sessions of Coach K Basketball Camp.

In the notification email, they linked Coach K's video message for health care providers, his Stay Safe video message, and video messages from Nate James and Jayson Tatum.

They also indicate that they have "set up a private text messaging system that enables The Brotherhood (Duke Basketball’s family of players and coaches) to send videos and words of encouragement to the health care professionals fighting this pandemic. If anyone you know is currently serving on the front lines in the battle against COVID-19, please encourage them to text us at 919-823-7531 if you think they'd appreciate support from The Duke Basketball family."

If anyone knows any health care providers responding to COVID-19 who might appreciate a video or text message of support from someone in the Duke basketball family, please let them know of the text number.