Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    This week's free giveaway on the Epic Store is Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (i.e., Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel).

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ome-collection
    Already snagged...was just coming here to post this if someone hadn't already. This is giving me quite a queue to burn through later (and for free to boot)!

I play a lot of NBA 2k (with a Kentucky fan, no less!) It is a very nice way to chit chat and play during a time when we cannot see friends in person.

Okay, six weeks later, another Skyrim completion (yay quarantine time wasters!) let's circle back.

PS5 is on the horizon. I have PSNow - the subscription service like Netflix for streaming games. Anyone got some good recommendations? I love open world games. Skyrim and RDR2 are my favorites. Fallout is okayish, but not really my jam. I've reconciled that I won't see Elder Scrolls 6 until 2029 or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Okay, six weeks later, another Skyrim completion (yay quarantine time wasters!) let's circle back.

PS5 is on the horizon. I have PSNow - the subscription service like Netflix for streaming games. Anyone got some good recommendations? I love open world games. Skyrim and RDR2 are my favorites. Fallout is okayish, but not really my jam. I've reconciled that I won't see Elder Scrolls 6 until 2029 or something...
    I've heard that No Man's Sky can be a lot of fun, although I haven't gotten into it myself. It is extremely​ open.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've heard that No Man's Sky can be a lot of fun, although I haven't gotten into it myself. It is extremely​ open.
    Death Stranding was interesting for a little while. I rented it and was glad I didn't spend big money on it. Fun concept that gets stale pretty quick, IMHO.

Death Stranding was interesting for a little while. I rented it and was glad I didn't spend big money on it. Fun concept that gets stale pretty quick, IMHO.
    Have you played the older Elder Scrolls titles (Oblivion or Morrowind)?

Have you played the older Elder Scrolls titles (Oblivion or Morrowind)?
    Oblivion, yes. Enjoyed it. Can't find a way to play Morrowind, or I totally would.

Oblivion, yes. Enjoyed it. Can't find a way to play Morrowind, or I totally would.
    I'm guessing you only game on consoles? You should be able to find Morrowind on Steam. Probably GoG or other sources as well. Just about any modern computer should run it fine given how old the game is, no need for a special gaming rig or anything.

Some of the battle mechanics are a little frustrating at first (the way it calculates hit/miss when you are at really low levels) but that sorts itself out within the first hour or so and it gets to be a lot more fun. I found it to be both deeper and more open feeling than Oblivion or Skyrim even though I'm pretty sure the map is technically smaller. I would actually occasionally get "lost" in the wilderness in Morrowind.

IF someone was theoretically going to pick a platform to start gaming in these troubled times, what would be the group's recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    IF someone was theoretically going to pick a platform to start gaming in these troubled times, what would be the group's recommendation?
    Any particular types of games you think you might be interested in?

I've really been pleased with the PS4. Great library of games. With the next generation coming out soon, I bet prices will be dropping soon.

Each console will have different exclusive titles, and the PS ones are fun. I'll let an XBox person make their own case. Also, the streaming service has an extensive library of new and older games for a good monthly price. Honestly, I pay yearly and can't recall the rate.

I just built a PC...it was a great quarantine project and pc gaming is the best (although not the cheapest or the easiest to set up)

I'm guessing you only game on consoles? You should be able to find Morrowind on Steam. Probably GoG or other sources as well. Just about any modern computer should run it fine given how old the game is, no need for a special gaming rig or anything.

Some of the battle mechanics are a little frustrating at first (the way it calculates hit/miss when you are at really low levels) but that sorts itself out within the first hour or so and it gets to be a lot more fun. I found it to be both deeper and more open feeling than Oblivion or Skyrim even though I'm pretty sure the map is technically smaller. I would actually occasionally get "lost" in the wilderness in Morrowind.
    Apparently I have to install Linux on my Chromebook to use Steam. Seems like a lot of trouble. Might be easier to find an old XBox in a pawn shop and play Morrowind that way.

Apparently I have to install Linux on my Chromebook to use Steam. Seems like a lot of trouble. Might be easier to find an old XBox in a pawn shop and play Morrowind that way.
    Ah, yeah, didn't even occur to me that you might be using a Chromebook. It probably isn't worth installing Linux on your Chromebook unless installing Linux is something you've done before and didn't mind doing.

Ah, yeah, didn't even occur to me that you might be using a Chromebook. It probably isn't worth installing Linux on your Chromebook unless installing Linux is something you've done before and didn't mind doing.
    I did it once, and I minded it very much.

That was the day I learned I'm no longer "computer savvy" by today's standards.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I used to game a good bit on my PC, but not much past that. Never got into consoles past the last one I owned, which was a Sega Genesis. So maybe that's why I'm enjoying my latest project so much.

I bought a Pandora's Box 11, and around it, I'm going to be building a full sized arcade cabinet. In the future I will like go even deeper, with a Raspberry Pi as the base, but for now this is perfect because it has all of the controls already mounted for an affordable cost. The screen is a 27" monitor, so it's nicely sized for the cab that is going to go around it.

Building the cab starts next week, as I've still been waiting on a few things. But in the mean time, I've got literally thousands of games at my fingertips.
    This is old school, so at the most I can do is pause a game while I grab a beer, but if my guy kicks the bucket, I'm either back at square one, or if the game allows, I can keep going with another "quarter". (PS, I got a coin door, so at some point that figurative quarter will become literal.)

IMG_20200715_163824399.jpg

IMG_20200715_164213415.jpg

IMG_20200715_164618882.jpg

Even though I suck at so many of these games, they have been a blast to revisit.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Any particular types of games you think you might be interested in?
    Dunno. All I have right now is a Wii.

Probably thinking game console instead of a pc or laptop. Already have an iPad if Anyone has good games to suggest there, too.

Dunno. All I have right now is a Wii.

Probably thinking game console instead of a pc or laptop. Already have an iPad if Anyone has good games to suggest there, too.
    1) What type of games do you enjoy? Action, Adventure, Sports, RPG, 1st Person Shooters, etc.

2) Do you play online against other people and are you willing to pay a monthly subscription?

3) Any other gamers in the house?

The Switch is a fun console with a great lineup of first party games (Zelda, Mario, the up coming Metroid, etc...) with some good third party games.

The PS4 has the best selection of third party games with some very good first party games.

The XBox One X is currently the most powerful thus best graphics. My eyes aren’t good enough to tell the difference after a certain point. It has a solid selection of games but less exclusive titles (Halo really).

Both the Xbox One and PS4 games will work in the new generation released later this year. If you are starting new you can build a library of AAA titles on the cheap for either as prices drop quickly for both. Nintendo games tend to go one sale rarely. Zelda Breath of the Wild is three years old and still lists for $60. A three year old game in the other consoles would be in the $15-$30 range and less on Black Friday.

One advantage to PC is that you can generally play a wider range of games and can also upgrade your machine. You can also buy a controller if you like that kind of input.

Of course, a PC is usually going to be more expensive, and the quality of online play tends to be significantly worse for some games due to the greater ease of hacking.

As always I second the recommendation of Morrowind. One of my favorite aspects is that the quests were a real challenge and required that you play detective. Some information would be recorded in your journal, sure, but it was all out of order and jumbled. No quest markers, no map-based fast travel. You had to scour huge areas for little details. Plus, you could kill any character in the game - even dieties, if you tried hard enough. There were no invincible characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I used to game a good bit on my PC, but not much past that. Never got into consoles past the last one I owned, which was a Sega Genesis. So maybe that's why I'm enjoying my latest project so much.

I bought a Pandora's Box 11, and around it, I'm going to be building a full sized arcade cabinet. In the future I will like go even deeper, with a Raspberry Pi as the base, but for now this is perfect because it has all of the controls already mounted for an affordable cost. The screen is a 27" monitor, so it's nicely sized for the cab that is going to go around it.

Building the cab starts next week, as I've still been waiting on a few things. But in the mean time, I've got literally thousands of games at my fingertips.
    This is old school, so at the most I can do is pause a game while I grab a beer, but if my guy kicks the bucket, I'm either back at square one, or if the game allows, I can keep going with another "quarter". (PS, I got a coin door, so at some point that figurative quarter will become literal.)

IMG_20200715_163824399.jpg

IMG_20200715_164213415.jpg

IMG_20200715_164618882.jpg

Even though I suck at so many of these games, they have been a blast to revisit.
    Well, that looks awesome.