Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Apparently I have to install Linux on my Chromebook to use Steam. Seems like a lot of trouble. Might be easier to find an old XBox in a pawn shop and play Morrowind that way.
    Will a live Linux USB with persistence work? That’s fairly easy to do. You need the persistence to save programs and files as without it you have a clean OS every boot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Dunno. All I have right now is a Wii.

Probably thinking game console instead of a pc or laptop. Already have an iPad if Anyone has good games to suggest there, too.
    I had a Wii. Fun console.

If that's your most recent console, and cost is any concern, consider even a PS3. Games will be crazy cheap and you can try lots to find what you like.

Honestly, Skyrim took my breath away in a way I hadn't felt in ages, because of the scope, size, and opportunity to wander. On PS3 it is great fun.

Also, people go nuts about graphics, but my TV isn't 4K or anything, so the hyperdrive graphics are wasted on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Will a live Linux USB with persistence work? That’s fairly easy to do. You need the persistence to save programs and files as without it you have a clean OS every boot.
    I'm not sure if that's possible with a Chromebook. It mostly goes online and runs apps.

I literally don't know...

I'm not sure if that's possible with a Chromebook. It mostly goes online and runs apps.

I literally don't know...
    Looks like it’s possible but a pain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/guides/1509-how-to-run-linux-chromebook/

IF someone was theoretically going to pick a platform to start gaming in these troubled times, what would be the group's recommendation?
    For someone your age? This is all you're allowed to use.

Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For someone your age? This is all you're allowed to use.

Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg
    I hated Pong. But I am an incredible live foosball player.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

I hated Pong. But I am an incredible live foosball player.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
    With that Atari system you're entitled to fantastic graphics such as these!

hqdefault.jpg

2d6667c89f73b2bd27393a389d729e93.jpg

7ddc9b07a0e3d17fd029394cf334c2fd.jpg

Ahhh, sweet memories of my youth!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

hqdefault.jpg

I had a friend in high school with a Commodore 64. He was high damn cotton.

I had a TRS-80, cassette-booted, 1,500 baud loading speed. 16 K of beautiful, beautiful memory. Enough fire power to destroy whole worlds.

To this day, the best game I ever played was Ultima IV on an Apple II+

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    To this day, the best game I ever played was Ultima IV on an Apple II+
    I strongly agree!!! And every now and then for fun, I will find a copy of that an load it on my PC. It's been a long while, might have to do that again!

If you are interested in oldies like that, here's one link. You need to download a DOS emulator, which this site has. (DOSBox)

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I strongly agree!!! And every now and then for fun, I will find a copy of that an load it on my PC. It's been a long while, might have to do that again!

If you are interested in oldies like that, here's one link. You need to download a DOS emulator, which this site has. (DOSBox)

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/
    Did anyone ever play Galactix? One of my absolute favorite games ever. Commander Keen was a good bit of fun too.

I also have fond memories of playing Gorillas and Nibbles (old QBasic demo games) on our old Win3.1x computer. No other "snake" type game will ever compare.

hqdefault.jpg

I wore out Magic Vs Bird once I upgraded to the ATARI 7200.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Did anyone ever play Galactix? One of my absolute favorite games ever. Commander Keen was a good bit of fun too.

I also have fond memories of playing Gorillas and Nibbles (old QBasic demo games) on our old Win3.1x computer. No other "snake" type game will ever compare.
    Strongly agree about Nibbles. I was pretty young when my family got our first computer. The only thing on it I could do was play Nibbles.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Strongly agree about Nibbles. I was pretty young when my family got our first computer. The only thing on it I could do was play Nibbles.
    I was 5 when we got ours...I think it took all of about a week for me to become the official in home tech support.

Any online streaming gems I'm missing?

With Bloodborne on PSNow, I figured to take it for a spin.

My Lord, am I this bad at video games? I've been playing for about two weeks off and on and cannot get to the first save point. About once every six foot eight starts, I can make it to the bridge werewolves, but I can't make any headway from there
    . it's completely maddening and making me second guess my decision to get the PS5 and try Demon Souls. I've tried tips online and walkthroughs. Friggin useless.

My Lord, am I this bad at video games? I've been playing for about two weeks off and on and cannot get to the first save point. About once every six foot eight starts, I can make it to the bridge werewolves, but I can't make any headway from there
    . it's completely maddening and making me second guess my decision to get the PS5 and try Demon Souls. I've tried tips online and walkthroughs. Friggin useless.
    That’s a FromSoftware game. It’s just hard to be hard. All of their games, including the Soul games, are notoriously difficult. Even people who cut their teeth on videos games from the 80s and 90s find them hard. I tend to avoid them to save money from replacing controllers, TVs and coffee tables.

'Baba is You'
    Crazy, little indie puzzle game. Super mind bending.

'Factorio'
    Game is addicting!

Those werewolves on the bridge are tough. Taking them on in the open at the same time is a recipe for failure, even for people who have played the game a lot (this is something to keep in mind for the game in general...enemies in groups are lethal, so you need to try to pull them away from each other to take them out one by one wherever possible).

Traditional method: Your best bet to fight the bridge werewolves traditionally is to kite one back to the stairs and take it on there, then heal up and do the same for the second one. They are susceptible to fire, so you can use Molotovs on them and do a lot of damage.

Cheese method: You can approach the bridge werewolves through a dark house on the other side of the street (might need to look up a video how to get there, but once you unlock a certain gate from Central Yarnham it is a pretty quick shortcut). Clear that house out, then go out on the bridge and turn right to get their attention. Then kite them back to the house's stairs and go back into the house. They cannot fit through the doorway, so you can stand back a little and slash at them as they lunge helplessly at you; cheap and easy. You can also do this from the normal bridge entrance point; you would basically have to go up on the bridge and run past the werewolves while they are sniffing around, then turn left down some stairs to get into the darkened doorway of the house. Just remember to clear out the enemies inside first.

Skip method: If you go through the dark house mentioned above, you can just turn left and proceed to the first boss. The werewolves won't even see you.

If one has never played any of the Assassin's Creed games and wants to play Valhalla, where would be the place to start? From the beginning? Are there specific games worth playing? Just start with Valhalla? Any advice?

Same question with Uncharted series?

Thanks all!

P.S. RDR2 is a lot of fun.