Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most random question ever… About a freezer. Hoping you folks can help! :-)

Hey everyone!

So we have a chest freezer in the garage that apparently went off at some point. I’m not entirely sure when, it may have been a week ago.

Just noticed today. The thing is, I live in an area (northern NJ) where it has been very cold; even my garage has been cold, where are we getting above 40°. When I went into it, ice cream and stuff had melted, and the bread had defrosted a bit, and one or two things near the top, felt defrosted, but a lot of the things in there are still frozen, and according to the thermometer that was in there, it was only 30°.

I’m a little baffled… Reaching down a layer, everything underneath that are frozen solid… And the freezer is still full of ice crystals, and everything.

Is it OK just to start the thing back up do you think?

I know this is very specific, but honestly, I just trust the people here have a clue :-)

Well... USDA says to store food safely, recommended temp is 0 degrees.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/What-...%20stay%20safe.

They also say that if the food is solidly frozen, it should be safe. I would think that it would be good if you could somehow find the temp for the lowest layer of frozen food, though... <my opinion>... but no idea how to do that

Grab the most thawed-out meat, eat that, and if you don’t get sick the rest should be fine.

Unless you see maggots, you’re good. We’re a nation of wieners.

When in doubt throw it out. Additionally, get a internet enabled freezer alarm so this never happens again!

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Wifi+freezer+alarm

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    When in doubt throw it out. Additionally, get a internet enabled freezer alarm so this never happens again!

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Wifi+freezer+alarm
    Intriguing! A little while back someone was doing some electrical work at my house and they never turned back on the breaker for the circuit my chest freezer was plugged into.

I didn’t realize this for a while.

We had an interesting variety of items in the freezer at the time, including some bags of ice we bought to keep the temp controlled in a power outage, miscellaneous frozen stuff, including some meat that I had put away when we didn’t use it for this dinner or another.

And a collection of fish that my FIL brings over periodically but we never get around to cooking. His buddy divvies up his catch when he has a good haul and it’s good stuff — yellow tail, local halibut, etc.

But my family doesn’t like it when I cook it, so sometimes we end up with a few pounds of frozen fish in the freezer.

Well all that fish mixed nicely with the other items when the temp in the freezer moved from below freezing to summer-garage temp (mid 70s?), the ice melted and everything just stewed for a few days (week?).

The moment I discovered what had happened was a dark moment. Cleaning up was even worse. But I am proud that I never lost the contents of my stomach.

It took a few months, but we were able to get the smell out of the freezer and it is back in action today. But perhaps in need of a freezer alarm.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Intriguing! A little while back someone was doing some electrical work at my house and they never turned back on the breaker for the circuit my chest freezer was plugged into.

I didn’t realize this for a while.

We had an interesting variety of items in the freezer at the time, including some bags of ice we bought to keep the temp controlled in a power outage, miscellaneous frozen stuff, including some meat that I had put away when we didn’t use it for this dinner or another.

And a collection of fish that my FIL brings over periodically but we never get around to cooking. His buddy divvies up his catch when he has a good haul and it’s good stuff — yellow tail, local halibut, etc.

But my family doesn’t like it when I cook it, so sometimes we end up with a few pounds of frozen fish in the freezer.

Well all that fish mixed nicely with the other items when the temp in the freezer moved from below freezing to summer-garage temp (mid 70s?), the ice melted and everything just stewed for a few days (week?).

The moment I discovered what had happened was a dark moment. Cleaning up was even worse. But I am proud that I never lost the contents of my stomach.

It took a few months, but we were able to get the smell out of the freezer and it is back in action today. But perhaps in need of a freezer alarm.
    Too be honest, a wifi internet enabled alarm is overkill. You can get much more basic ones

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

The best way to get rid of foul odors is with ozone. Next best way is with a filter impregnated with Odogard (no ozone). Next time it happens to you or anyone else reading this thread, reach out to me.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The best way to get rid of foul odors is with ozone. Next best way is with a filter impregnated with Odogard (no ozone). Next time it happens to you or anyone else reading this thread, reach out to me.
    Thanks. We googled for guidance, and I don’t remember the exact solution, but I think it involved several applications of vinegar, maybe some baking soda or something else (?) and a good healthy dose of direct sun from time to time.
    Carolina delenda est

and sometimes you just have to take the item to the dump.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and sometimes you just have to take the item to the dump.
    For sure. But the electrical work that started this catastrophe involved a bunch of custom work in our garage, which included cabinetry built around the dimensions of this freezer, with like 1/16” to spare on each side. Also, I had an emotional attachment to it, as I think it was one of the very last freezers available in the entire county of San Diego in March 2020, when there was an unexpected run on freezers and food that could be frozen.

Fortunately google plus persistence and time fixed the problem.
    Carolina delenda est

Yup. Ozone machines are used in hospitality for this very reason. But know that you are doing because it’s dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yup. Ozone machines are used in hospitality for this very reason. But know that you are doing because it’s dangerous.

One of my patents deals with corona charging. We were using it for treating polymeric filaments to be used in filtration applications. But the equipment could be very easily used for ozone generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Grab the most thawed-out meat, eat that, and if you don’t get sick the rest should be fine.
    I endorse this answer confident in the belief that internet anonymity will shield me from litigation.

I had a freezer die a couple years ago. I discovered it before it thawed all the way and was able to save a few things, but mostly a total loss.
    Stuff that may have thawed and refrozen is probably not going to be high quality so it's tough to say you can really keep it and use it.

I did end up getting a pretty good deal on a new one. I got it from a guy that worked for a rich woman that panicked during the pandemic and bought a couple extra freezers she ended up never using.

Anyway, after going though that and also a few cases of someone leaving a freezer door ajar, I invested in these so I get notifications if my freezer temp goes too high.

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Hygrome.../dp/B09BVLP9C5

Conveniently displays on my iphone screen on my 2nd page of apps.
    temps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    One of my patents deals with corona charging. We were using it for treating polymeric filaments to be used in filtration applications. But the equipment could be very easily used for ozone generation.
    Yes, corona discharge is one of the methods of generating ozone. Some of my equipment uses it, others use another method. Below 0.05 ppm ozone exposure is safe. That’s the EPA/OSHA limit for contiguous exposure. Above that level you shouldn’t breathe it (very brief exposure won’t hurt most people). Clean, healthy outside air has 0.02 to 0.03 ppm of ozone naturally. It’s one of Mother Nature’s primary air purifiers and it doesn’t hurt you.

BTW, the power supplies in desktop computers, photo copying machines, compact fluorescent lamps and many other devices generate low levels of ozone. Bet you didn’t know that!

I know a lot about ozone and how to use it, and when not to use it. If anyone wants a lengthier discussion please contact me.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey everyone!

So we have a chest freezer in the garage that apparently went off at some point. I’m not entirely sure when, it may have been a week ago.

Just noticed today. The thing is, I live in an area (northern NJ) where it has been very cold; even my garage has been cold, where are we getting above 40°. When I went into it, ice cream and stuff had melted, and the bread had defrosted a bit, and one or two things near the top, felt defrosted, but a lot of the things in there are still frozen, and according to the thermometer that was in there, it was only 30°.

I’m a little baffled… Reaching down a layer, everything underneath that are frozen solid… And the freezer is still full of ice crystals, and everything.

Is it OK just to start the thing back up do you think?

I know this is very specific, but honestly, I just trust the people here have a clue :-)
    Yes, corona discharge is one of the methods of generating ozone. Some of my equipment uses it, others use another method. Below 0.05 ppm ozone exposure is safe. That’s the EPA/OSHA limit for contiguous exposure. Above that level you shouldn’t breathe it (very brief exposure won’t hurt most people). Clean, healthy outside air has 0.02 to 0.03 ppm of ozone naturally. It’s one of Mother Nature’s primary air purifiers and it doesn’t hurt you.

BTW, the power supplies in desktop computers, photo copying machines, compact fluorescent lamps and many other devices generate low levels of ozone. Bet you didn’t know that!

I know a lot about ozone and how to use it, and when not to use it. If anyone wants a lengthier discussion please contact me.
    Only on DBR could a question about spoiled food "degenerate" into a discussion about corona discharge and ozone. And only in 15 posts!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I spent a month one summer while at Duke cleaning out freezers at a day camp in northern NJ in preparation for the upcoming season - lots of ice pops that had exploded and been sitting there since the prior summer. Good times. Not offering my services but I rarely get to brag about something that is no longer on my resume.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I had a freezer die a couple years ago. I discovered it before it thawed all the way and was able to save a few things, but mostly a total loss.
    Stuff that may have thawed and refrozen is probably not going to be high quality so it's tough to say you can really keep it and use it.

I did end up getting a pretty good deal on a new one. I got it from a guy that worked for a rich woman that panicked during the pandemic and bought a couple extra freezers she ended up never using.

Anyway, after going though that and also a few cases of someone leaving a freezer door ajar, I invested in these so I get notifications if my freezer temp goes too high.

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Hygrome.../dp/B09BVLP9C5

Conveniently displays on my iphone screen on my 2nd page of apps.
    temps.jpg
    I have a alarm on mine.lost venison
    And 1500 worth of sea food .I threw it out .most disgusting thing I've smelled.
    Excellent choice for notification.

judging from all the responses in this thread, it’s obvious that we can’t have nice replies… Mrs pie laughed and said to throw it all out.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese