Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    I played through Plague Tale: Innocence. It's a lighthearted tromp through the Black Plague and the French Inquisition.

I probably wouldn't have tried it, but it was on my PSNow or PSPlus account (I don't remember which).

The graphics and story were phenomenal. The gameplay was a little frustrating at first, but came together. A few spots were incredibly annoying and it seemed I tried certain scenes a few dozen times before breaking through - not because I figured anything out, but I got lucky somehow.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it. It was worth the time investment. I might feel differently had I paid retail for the game.

I understand there's a sequel en route in 2022. I'll be curious to see how it is received.

Our kids (7 & 5) got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas, plus a few games that their non-video-game-playing parents were able to identify through some research as engaging and age appropriate. So far, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 have been big hits with them. If anyone has similarly situated kids (or good recommendations for similarly situated kids), I'd be interested in hearing what they enjoy playing. Ours are not in need of new games right away, since Christmas just happened, but looking to file away ideas for the future.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Our kids (7 & 5) got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas, plus a few games that their non-video-game-playing parents were able to identify through some research as engaging and age appropriate. So far, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 have been big hits with them. If anyone has similarly situated kids (or good recommendations for similarly situated kids), I'd be interested in hearing what they enjoy playing. Ours are not in need of new games right away, since Christmas just happened, but looking to file away ideas for the future.
    My nephew is a YOOOOOGEEE fan of the Zelda game on Switch. I can't vouch for it myself, but he picked it up at age 8 or 9 and was interested in nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    There are some killer deals on Steam right now (I imagine elsewhere, too).

Just grabbed these three for ~$2 each:
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Sam & Max Hit the Road
    Sim City 4

Halo 1-3 and Reach bundled for $20 as well. Also, there's a Day of the Tentacle remaster that looks pretty nice (but isn't on sale). And tons of other stuff if none of that nonsense is your deal (including a lot of newer titles that I didn't pick up only because my current laptop won't run them).
    Also the whole rebooted Tomb Raider Trilogy is free on the Epic Store on the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My nephew is a YOOOOOGEEE fan of the Zelda game on Switch. I can't vouch for it myself, but he picked it up at age 8 or 9 and was interested in nothing else.
    IGN just released a list of the top 100 video games of all time. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild checked in at #1. It’s truly a masterpiece.

It’s pretty accessible to younger children, but some reading is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    IGN just released a list of the top 100 video games of all time. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild checked in at #1. It’s truly a masterpiece.

It’s pretty accessible to younger children, but some reading is needed.

That's a good list. Got me thinking about a few old Sega and NES games. Didn't realize you play a lot of those online now but guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Anyone else playing Elden Ring?

Anyone else playing Elden Ring?
    I flipped a coin and ended up with Horizon instead.

How's Elden Ring?

It looks so beautiful. But so hard. Especially as someone who never played dark souls.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    It looks so beautiful. But so hard. Especially as someone who never played dark souls.
    Uh oh.

Should have read this before I purchased and started downloading.

Uh oh.

Should have read this before I purchased and started downloading.
    Lmk how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    Lmk how you like it!
    Never got into other Dark Souls games. The open world will hopefully allow me to fool around when I get too frustrated.

Never got into other Dark Souls games. The open world will hopefully allow me to fool around when I get too frustrated.
    I love it so far. Yes, it is tough, but don’t feel that you need to do things you are not ready for. If you get stuck on a tough opponent, you can definitely just go somewhere else and come back when you are stronger. The world is huge, and there are lots of places to explore and weapons to acquire (and ways to improve them), as well as other useful items and mechanics to unlock while you level up the base stats on your character.

The first boss wrecked me in seconds, but after trying a couple more times to get a sense for his moves, I left and did other stuff for a while. I came back later and absolutely nuked him after leveling up several times, finding a better weapon, strengthening that weapon a couple times, getting better armor, improving my healing abilities, getting a spirit animal to summon, bringing an NPC ally, and acquiring a special item that immobilizes that particular boss. It was complete overkill, to the point I almost felt guilty about it, but it goes to show that while From Software doesn’t do “easy modes,” they give you plenty of tools in this game to make things easier. And there’s also multiplayer, if you want to have a friend or stranger jump in to help.

It will be frustrating at times though.

I love it so far. Yes, it is tough, but don’t feel that you need to do things you are not ready for. If you get stuck on a tough opponent, you can definitely just go somewhere else and come back when you are stronger. The world is huge, and there are lots of places to explore and weapons to acquire (and ways to improve them), as well as other useful items and mechanics to unlock while you level up the base stats on your character.

The first boss wrecked me in seconds, but after trying a couple more times to get a sense for his moves, I left and did other stuff for a while. I came back later and absolutely nuked him after leveling up several times, finding a better weapon, strengthening that weapon a couple times, getting better armor, improving my healing abilities, getting a spirit animal to summon, bringing an NPC ally, and acquiring a special item that immobilizes that particular boss. It was complete overkill, to the point I almost felt guilty about it, but it goes to show that while From Software doesn’t do “easy modes,” they give you plenty of tools in this game to make things easier. And there’s also multiplayer, if you want to have a friend or stranger jump in to help.

It will be frustrating at times though.
    How is it in term of hardware requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    There was some outcry when the PC requirements and recommendations were released, but I am playing on console so I didn’t follow that too closely. They were higher than expected though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I'm on PS5. Can't comment.

I got the platinum trophy for Elden Ring last week and have had trouble putting it down. Since then I have been alternating between helping others fight the final boss and doing some additional exploring. And I keep finding more dungeons, encounters, and unique weapons that I missed earlier! I can safely say that is my new favorite game, hands down.

I plan on moving on to Horizon Forbidden West soon, but I may need a short palate cleanser or two before jumping in. Astro’s Playroom, maybe?

Maybe we should start a "regular" gaming thread at some point. Anyways, the Bioshock collection is free on Epic Games right now (until June 2 I think, not sure if that is inclusive). if you never played them I highly recommend picking it up. I think they're doing a free game every week all summer. Last week was Borderlands 3 which I hate I missed.

I'm waiting for the new Playstation subscription system to launch. Looks promising.

Lately - replayed The Last of Us (an absolute favorite). I have Elden Ring but haven't taken the time to dig in deep. Mostly just wandering. Picked up Jedi Order and been barely scratching the surface of that one as well.

So, just got about two hours in on Stray. Fascinating gameplay.