Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

The "Life Ain't Fair, Just Ask Justin Robinson" Cancellations Thread

Ok, COVID 19 has probably caused a cancellation of something you really cared about - list it here. Let it out. We can all feel the disappointment for each other.

And then, if it works for you, think about Justin Robinson. He was gonna be the NCAA Tourney MVP!!

Family Disney vacation coming up mid-April is certainly toast. Had everything planned out perfectly, fast passes lined up ready to go just as I wanted them and now they will be cancelled.

Epicenter music festival in Charlotte May 1-3 will certainly be at least postponed.

Worried about a week long section hike on the Appalachian trail in late May is in jeopardy. Was going to fly into New York but that's not happening. May just drive instead. We'll see what's it's like in a couple months and make a decision.

Trip to Prague.

Commencement Ceremony.

Visit from brother and his family.

House purchase.

Job change.

I'm sure there are more...

Supposed to take the make up trip to Ocracoke this May for the trip we lost last fall to the hurricane. That poor island must be running in fumes.

I was supposed to get to watch a tourney without UNC.

Two of my youth are seniors - no graduation, no prom, no final swim season, lost concerts, etc.

Birthday trip to the BMW Performance Center to drive M6 Competitions around the road course.

So far, aside from those things hitting everyone, it's just my son's 5 college visits over spring break.

-jk

A first for me: I “attended” a family funeral via livestream this week.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Today would have been "Super Sunday" as we call it in the theater world - the long day of rehearsal where you run a Q2Q (Cue to cue - a run of the play just hitting the parts where the lights or sound or some such happen.) This can take hours. Break for dinner, then a run of the show with full tech, sometimes in costume, sometimes not.

I was playing Friar Laurence in Romeo & Juliet. (We call 'em pants roles when a female actor plays a man.)

We have, for now, merely postponed the show. Hoping to do it in June or July.

Thursday my youngest was supposed to have had an MRI. The hospital staff member who called to confirm on Tuesday sounded relieved when I told her I wanted to cancel. We can reschedule. But this MRI was the "last one". Not really, my son will have to have yearly MRIs for the rest of his life, but this one, if the tumor is stable, will be the official "last one" in terms of treatment for his brain tumor. 13 years, 4 courses of chemo, and one round of proton beam radiation in the making. I was so looking forward to the day we could say he was finally done with treatment.

You wanna know what I lost, Boston Devil? I'll tell you what I lost!

I lost six days every week -- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They are all Xdays -- I can't tell one from the other. I used to have a rhythm for skiing, scheduled card games, and TV sports. Now there is nothing, zilch, nada, zero!

I can tell Sunday because I go into town and get the NY Times to read, but the bagel place I shopped at for Sunday breakfast is now closed -- maybe for good.

On a less philosophical level, I lost a trip to SC and my high school reunion in two weeks. All the worst because if Duke had been in the FF, I was gonna bag the reunion and drive to Atlanta for the games. So that's two losses, isn't it?

I don't know yet about scheduled trips to Costa Rica in June with a grandson and South Africa in September for birds and wildlife.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

My family and I still have our health, so for now anything “lost” has merely been an inconvenience.

OldestNiecePK has a wedding scheduled for June, and I have a trip to Europe scheduled for July that are both in limbo for now. Hoping those can happen, not so sure they will — or at least as previously planned.

My son is a bassist in the Maryland Classical Youth Orch. They were going to do the worldwide premiere of Jeffrey Leiser's The Summit: A Symphony in Four Movements today.

-jk

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Well, this has not been a fun year for me. This summer, around the same time as James’s plea went out, my kidneys failed. As I’m type 1 diabetic I’m actually seeking a kidney-pancreas transplant, so it can’t be a live donor. But because of my health issues, I’ve moved down to Florida while my wife finished out our teaching contract and is in Saudi Arabia with our kids The school year was to finish and she had made arrangements to fly back near the end of June. Now though, saudi has like many places had all the school go virtual, so she has permission to leave, only saudi has shut its borders and right now we are trying to figure how she can get back. Oh, and just adding to the fun, if I were to go in for transplant, I’d be on immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of my life so while I’m currently in a high risk category, that would raise my risk level considerably. Add in her parents being there(which has been a tremendous blessing in helping with the kids) are now overstaying their visa, but can’t get out also, and it’s become a very chaotic situation. Was figuring to be the first time I’d be stateside in like two decades and not have to stay up all hours of the night to watch the NCAAs and now... There are more details, but now just trying to figure out the future, and I’ll just add thank god for Skype, where I can still read bedtime stories each night and talk to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Well, this has not been a fun year for me. This summer, around the same time as James’s plea went out, my kidneys failed. As I’m type 1 diabetic I’m actually seeking a kidney-pancreas transplant, so it can’t be a live donor. But because of my health issues, I’ve moved down to Florida while my wife finished out our teaching contract and is in Saudi Arabia with our kids The school year was to finish and she had made arrangements to fly back near the end of June. Now though, saudi has like many places had all the school go virtual, so she has permission to leave, only saudi has shut its borders and right now we are trying to figure how she can get back. Oh, and just adding to the fun, if I were to go in for transplant, I’d be on immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of my life so while I’m currently in a high risk category, that would raise my risk level considerably. Add in her parents being there(which has been a tremendous blessing in helping with the kids) are now overstaying their visa, but can’t get out also, and it’s become a very chaotic situation. Was figuring to be the first time I’d be stateside in like two decades and not have to stay up all hours of the night to watch the NCAAs and now... There are more details, but now just trying to figure out the future, and I’ll just add thank god for Skype, where I can still read bedtime stories each night and talk to my wife.
    Hang in there Deslok. Hope the family can make it home. Let us know when they do. Wishing you all the best until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Supposed to take the make up trip to Ocracoke this May for the trip we lost last fall to the hurricane. That poor island must be running in fumes.
    Same here. I just hope all the places that help make Ocracoke my wife and I's favorite place to decompress will still be up and running when the rest of the world gets up and running.

On the broader front, I'm worried about all the independent, small business people who are going to have to see this through, one of whom I share DNA with and who relies heavily on shows for her income, shows which won't be held for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Family Disney vacation coming up mid-April is certainly toast. Had everything planned out perfectly, fast passes lined up ready to go just as I wanted them and now they will be cancelled.

jeopardy. Was going to fly into New York but that's not happening. May just drive instead. We'll see what's it's like in a couple months and make a decision.
    we were on for the same week...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Priorities are straight

My nephew is set to graduate from high school, very high in his class. Probably no prom, no graduation, etc. But he doesn't seem to care about that. What is he pissed about? Basketball being cancelled! Told you he was smart.

There's one thing I wish I could have missed, the Madonna Covid psa video. I'd post it but it would likely earn me a holiday here.
    Only the brave should Google it.

Chins up friends here though. Everybody be well and and strong.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'