Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My wife and I had plane tickets to go visit my youngest son in Evansville, Indiana. He has Crohn's disease and suffered for many years from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder, finally mustering up the gumption to move out of the house and out on his own in July of last year. He really wanted me to see his place and his workplace and his town; he wanted me to know in a more intimate way what his life was like and, I suppose, to be very proud of how he has been faring since he moved out. I was looking forward to sharing that with him. We were scheduled to go in April. This trip is almost certainly off.

We also had plane tickets to go out to my home town in June for a family reunion. My dad will be 87 in May, and he really wanted to get the whole family together. Probably not going to happen.

Compared with BostonDevil and Deslok (and probably others), this stuff, I'm sure, will seem petty. Maybe it is. It's still sad to lose out on it.

My best to those of you that have REAL reasons to complain.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Starting in November I watch the games and text during with my parents retired in Pensacola. We'll call each other at halftime or after the game with our assistant coach hats on. It's fun and how we stay in touch during the season.
    Now we kind of keep the same rhythm, but instead of discussing switching to zone or using a press, we are sending each other meme's and talking about the virus and toss around ideas and opinions.
    This is not even close the joy of the sweet 16 that we should all be experiencing, and not worrying about our elderly or compromised friends, family, neighbors, Americans, humanity.
    I won't get into talking about the kids because I probably would have been dismissive at first too. I think most are coming around and they are beginning to police each other.
    Hopefully we can get through this without too much harm and end up with a bag full of lessons learned. Like after 9/11, the world will never be the same. Man I miss the relative innocence of the last third of the 20th century. (relative innocence )

So I sympathize with all the posts here. In our house, my daughter was scheduled to attend and speak at the UN ,for the Commission on the Status of Women in NYC. She visited 2 years ago with a WNC regional Girl Scout contingent, and was inspired to start a service organization at her local HS. She was returning for the first week and was going to speak about her project. Obviously we are glad that she did not travel and bring back some Covid. She is incoming Duke Class of '24, and looks like HS Senior Musical, final band concert, Graduation, and possibly start of Fall semester are all on hold.
    Thinking of everyone. To paraphrase Cuomo, "Social distancing but spiritual connection"
    JRob for bench/Graduate Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So far, aside from those things hitting everyone, it's just my son's 5 college visits over spring break.

-jk
    That's what my wife and daughter were supposed to be doing last week.

So trivial, I almost didn't post it, but it does makes me sad: I was going to be playing in the band as my son graduated from Duke this year. Although President Price says he's committed to having an in-person graduation, it would likely not be close to the same event, and the band part is very unlikely to happen. I'm been looking forward to that for four years.

But since that's my biggest "life ain't fair" complaint (at least so far), I have to conclude that I'm pretty darn lucky.

My younger son is on a competitive robotics team, TechFire 225, through the FIRST FRC organization. He is the driver this year and we were a couple days away from the first competition of the season when this all started. His team always makes the world championship so we were looking forward to all of that. The entire season has been cancelled.

My other son is a freshman at Penn College of Technology studying automotive restoration. Since they do so much hands-on learning there the school has taken a measured approach. They began online classes today but are planning to return to school April 6th to their labs. I'm sure that will be changed though.

Might have to miss a scheduled trip to Chincoteague Island, VA in April. I've been there a billion times but I was planning to go with 3 girlfriends.

The positives - my husband and I are still working and getting paid & we saved about $1000 in hotels & meals with robotics being cancelled.

I'm fortunate that my family is currently healthy. Also because of demographics, we don't have may life events this year (kids too young or not old enough.) One spring wedding was postponed finally. Personally I will miss Pearl Jam - Hyde Park. It's in July but I think I will avoid large crowds and air travel for awhile.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    There's one thing I wish I could have missed, the Madonna Covid psa video. I'd post it but it would likely earn me a holiday here.
    Only the brave should Google it.

Chins up friends here though. Everybody be well and and strong.
    I made it through about 20 seconds. I would never have known it was Madonna without help though. I'm going to go take a bath with some rose petals now.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    My wife and I had plane tickets to go visit my youngest son in Evansville, Indiana. He has Crohn's disease and suffered for many years from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder, finally mustering up the gumption to move out of the house and out on his own in July of last year. He really wanted me to see his place and his workplace and his town; he wanted me to know in a more intimate way what his life was like and, I suppose, to be very proud of how he has been faring since he moved out. I was looking forward to sharing that with him. We were scheduled to go in April. This trip is almost certainly off.

We also had plane tickets to go out to my home town in June for a family reunion. My dad will be 87 in May, and he really wanted to get the whole family together. Probably not going to happen.

Compared with BostonDevil and Deslok (and probably others), this stuff, I'm sure, will seem petty. Maybe it is. It's still sad to lose out on it.

My best to those of you that have REAL reasons to complain.
    It's NOT petty. That's why I started this thread. These things are important. I hope the family reunion can be rescheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    ... I'm going to go take a bath with some rose petals now.
    Now there's an idea! I wonder if that would hurt our septic field here in Boondocksville? It would be hard to explain that to the honey-wagon guy, though.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I don't know about cancellations but I'm having a mild existential crisis at being labelled non-essential during a time of crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don't know about cancellations but I'm having a mild existential crisis at being labelled non-essential during a time of crisis.
    Well, I am being labelled as essential and having my own crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    YOU are essential. Your job? Eh. But hey, it might be essential in a different kind of crisis!

Woman from church went to the hospital yesterday (blood clot) and it is so hard on the family as they can't go see her.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So trivial, I almost didn't post it, but it does makes me sad: I was going to be playing in the band as my son graduated from Duke this year. Although President Price says he's committed to having an in-person graduation, it would likely not be close to the same event, and the band part is very unlikely to happen. I'm been looking forward to that for four years.

But since that's my biggest "life ain't fair" complaint (at least so far), I have to conclude that I'm pretty darn lucky.
    I, too, am missing out on Duke graduation. Hopefully I'll get to come back for whenever it is rescheduled.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Nothing like others here-wishing all the best.

All healthy, thank God.

Here’s my list.

1. Missing the camaraderie of my colleagues at St. John’s and the daily routine and “banter” associated with the work environment. Texts, Skype, Zoom, WebEx all help, but do not fill the gap.

2. Scheduled to see Ben Watt in NYC on April 2 - cancelled. (The male half of Everything but the Girl, for those who don’t know him)

3. In addition to being a prof, I’m the executive director of the Tobin Center for Executive Education at St. John’s B-school. All of our in-person programs and conferences were cancelled or postponed, costing the University 000s of revenue in this FY.

3. I’m a trustee (and treasurer/vice-chair) of my prep school. All remote learning now, but have cancelled our gala - our fundraising foundational event - and all facilities rentals. Our summer camp in jeopardy. Hence, significant financial implications. And we can’t meet face to face with alums and prospective donors.

4. Most of all, missing seeing my granddaughter who just turned two. Lives walking distance from me, but might as well be across the country.

Pales in comparison to some, here and in society, but these are the items affecting me.

Of course, on the other side of the ledger, I’m spending more time with my wife as we both telework, and Augie, my Airedale, is loving having us around and going on many more walks than usual (although we are probably interfering with his sleeping routine).

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Woman from church went to the hospital yesterday (blood clot) and it is so hard on the family as they can't go see her.
    And hard for her as well no doubt being alone, with the dedicated, overworked medical staff not being able to spend as much time as usual and with family unable to visit.

Here in NYC, it is chaos in the hospitals, especially in Queens (where I live). Prayers and thanks to our medical communities - the “first responders” in this crisis.

Lived through Sept. 11 here. Hard to fathom that apart from the shear shock of that event, this escalating crisis is much more devastating - with no geographical limits to the effects and even more significant longer term effects on society and how we work and relate to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And hard for her as well no doubt being alone, with the dedicated, overworked medical staff not being able to spend as much time as usual and with family unable to visit.

Here in NYC, it is chaos in the hospitals, especially in Queens (where I live). Prayers and thanks to our medical communities - the “first responders” in this crisis.

Lived through Sept. 11 here. Hard to fathom that apart from the shear shock of that event, this escalating crisis is much more devastating - with no geographical limits to the effects and even more significant longer term effects on society and how we work and relate to each other.
    Good news is she moved to skilled nursing - still no family visits but at least she is well enough to leave the hospital.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Well, this has not been a fun year for me. This summer, around the same time as James’s plea went out, my kidneys failed. As I’m type 1 diabetic I’m actually seeking a kidney-pancreas transplant, so it can’t be a live donor. But because of my health issues, I’ve moved down to Florida while my wife finished out our teaching contract and is in Saudi Arabia with our kids The school year was to finish and she had made arrangements to fly back near the end of June. Now though, saudi has like many places had all the school go virtual, so she has permission to leave, only saudi has shut its borders and right now we are trying to figure how she can get back. Oh, and just adding to the fun, if I were to go in for transplant, I’d be on immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of my life so while I’m currently in a high risk category, that would raise my risk level considerably. Add in her parents being there(which has been a tremendous blessing in helping with the kids) are now overstaying their visa, but can’t get out also, and it’s become a very chaotic situation. Was figuring to be the first time I’d be stateside in like two decades and not have to stay up all hours of the night to watch the NCAAs and now... There are more details, but now just trying to figure out the future, and I’ll just add thank god for Skype, where I can still read bedtime stories each night and talk to my wife.
    Not that anyone else was waiting with baited breath, but just found out they have gotten on a Saudi’s flight the consulate helped arrange for Monday. Of course, then she’s going to self quarantine for two weeks before I actually see her, but definitely more excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Not that anyone else was waiting with baited breath, but just found out they have gotten on a Saudi’s flight the consulate helped arrange for Monday. Of course, then she’s going to self quarantine for two weeks before I actually see her, but definitely more excited.
    Bated breath? No. Checking this thread for good news from you on a regular basis? Yes.