Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Any new word on where Alex could end up?
    Cooperstown, judging by the rest of the thread.

{Real answer: I don't think we've seen anything concrete lately.}
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Hey buddy, I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This is the old time baseball thread, just look at the title. Oh, wait...
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hey buddy, I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This is the old time baseball thread, just look at the title. Oh, wait...
    we've hit nine pages yet and still don't have the faintest notion of where he's going...might as well digress.

Previous post of a tweet mentioned Gtown, Georgia, Dayton, Xavier specifically. I have not seen much else mentioned anywhere.

Is Alex going to be eligible to graduate this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The notion of AOC Entering The Portal brings to mind the scene of Jodi Foster getting into the special machine in Contact...hope AOC has an equally fun ride.
    “Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?”

Sorry to digress. Let’s get back to discussing old-time baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Sorry to digress. Let’s get back to discussing old-time baseball.
    I was a Willie Mays fan myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I was a Willie Mays fan myself.
    Willie was a Star(gell)

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I know he was a regular at Kings - next to the ballpark.
    Went there myself quite a few times; what a culinary delight. Hot dogs with mustard, chili, slaw and onions with fries on the side. Is Kings still there?
    As I recall, the discussion about the best hot dog in town centered on Kings vs Amos and Andy's downtown. (further branch potential for this thread?)
    Last edited by roywhite; 03-25-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Cooperstown, judging by the rest of the thread.
    This comment has me laughing every time I read it. Classic. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Weaver nicknamed Stanhouse "fullpack" as in the number of cigarettes Weaver smoked every time Stanhouse pitched.

I do not believe Alex O'Connell ever smoked a full pack of cigarettes or ever saw Don Stanhouse pitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I remember Chuck used to say "Ain't the beer cold!"

Mods, feel free to move this to the beer thread.
    Speaking of Earl Weaver, Don Stanhouse, cigarettes, and beer(Schlitz!), here is a story about what may be one of the greatest MLB clubhouse photos ever taken. Warning: Once you see the photo in the link, you will never be able to unsee it.

Speaking of Alex O’Connell, I wish him well. Assuming he sits out a year, I can definitely imagine him having a major role (perhaps leading scorer) on a tournament caliber team in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Speaking of Alex O’Connell, I wish him well. Assuming he sits out a year, I can definitely imagine him having a major role (perhaps leading scorer) on a tournament caliber team in 2022.
    Duke was a “tournament caliber team” in all three of Alex’s seasons and he never came remotely close to having the role you surmise him potentially having at his next school. Why would sitting out a year suddenly vault him into that rarified air? I hope you’re right, but I have my doubts.

Speaking of Earl Weaver, Don Stanhouse, cigarettes, and beer(Schlitz!), here is a story about what may be one of the greatest MLB clubhouse photos ever taken. Warning: Once you see the photo in the link, you will never be able to unsee it.

Woman watching John Kruk smoke in a dugout: "That's no way for an athlete to treat his body!"
    Kruk: "I ain't no athlete, ma'am, I'm a baseball player!"

I, too, wish AOC well.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Duke was a “tournament caliber team” in all three of Alex’s seasons and he never came remotely close to having the role you surmise him potentially having at his next school. Why would sitting out a year suddenly vault him into that rarified air? I hope you’re right, but I have my doubts.
    Fair question. I was was considering the following.

1. If he sits outs a year, Alex will likely improve by the 2021-22 season.
    2. Most tournament quality teams don’t have the talent Duke has on a yearly basis
    3. Some coaches may be more willing to put up with Alex’s limitations than Coach K apparently was. Alex may even find a coach willing to promise him a certain amount of playing time.

Consider Jordan Tucker. By all indications, he was behind Alex on Duke’s depth chart when they were both Freshmen. Yet this year, Tucker averaged 23 mpg and 9 ppg for a Butler team that was headed for a 4-6 seed. It is not hard for me to imagine Tucker (and, therefore, Alex) with an even bigger role for a bubble team by the 2021-22 season.

In the end, I suspect that many quality teams could find a major role for a player with Alex’s size, athleticism, and shooting ability
    by the 2021-22 season. I don’t see Alex as the leading scorer for a National Title contender, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him develop into a guy who plays 25-30 mpg for a bubble team.
    Last edited by House P; 03-26-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Fair question. I was was considering the following.

1. If he sits outs a year, Alex will likely improve by the 2021-22 season.
    2. Most tournament quality teams don’t have the talent Duke has on a yearly basis
    3. Some coaches may be more willing to put up with Alex’s limitations than Coach K apparently was. Alex may even find a coach willing to promise him a certain amount of playing time.

Consider Jordan Tucker. By all indications, he was behind Alex on Duke’s depth chart when they were both Freshmen. Yet this year, Tucker averaged 23 mpg and 9 ppg for a Butler team that was headed for a 4-6 seed. It is not hard for me to imagine Tucker (and, therefore, Alex) with an even bigger role for a bubble team by the 2021-22 season.

In the end, I suspect that many quality teams could find a major role for a player with Alex’s size, athleticism, and shooting ability
    by the 2021-22 season. I don’t see Alex as the leading scorer for a National Title contender, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him develop into a guy who plays 25-30 mpg for a bubble team.
    This is my view as well. I think AOC would be a legit starter for most programs as a fifth year senior including most ACC schools. Bringing in OAD level freshman guards is not the norm for most programs.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Went there myself quite a few times; what a culinary delight. Hot dogs with mustard, chili, slaw and onions with fries on the side. Is Kings still there?
    As I recall, the discussion about the best hot dog in town centered on Kings vs Amos and Andy's downtown. (further branch potential for this thread?)
    I loved Kings, but for a hot dog, Amos and Andy's was king.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I loved Kings, but for a hot dog, Amos and Andy's was king.
    Paschall's Grill on Holloway St. was killer. To me, they had the best hotdog.

Grad Transfer?

Will Alex be able to play next year?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think if I were him I’d take a red shirt year regardless to get familiar with the new program and make the most of his final year.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.kingssandwichshop.com/

Yes. It closed a number of years back, but reopened under new owners who wanted to keep the tradition going. It's been a long time since I've been there, but they were the best French fries I'd had in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think if I were him I’d take a red shirt year regardless to get familiar with the new program and make the most of his final year.
    I posted this earlier, even though it's not definitive:

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    FWIW, there's a question on the portal that reads "Is the student transferring to be a graduate student?" It's marked 'No' for Alex.
    I'm sure I don't know why it got lost in the shuffle...