Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Duke could easily have played Hurley, McCaffrey, Hill, Hill and Laettner in '92. McCaffrey wanted to get drafted and that meant point guard and that meant a transfer and he wanted to be the primary cog in the machine and that meant transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Has there been any reporting on potential destinations for AoC? I have to think he'll get interest from many Top-25 caliber programs...
    There are some tweets out there from prep recruiting types, and they all seem to get their info from Jake Weingarten, owner of Stock Risers. I've included his tweets (and links) below. Please take these with a grain of salt.

Jake @jakeweingarten
    Georgetown, Georgia, Dayton, Xavier, are amongst the early programs to show interest in Duke transfer Alex O’Connell, a source told @Stockrisers.
    Averaged five points on 40% shooting last season with the Blue Devils.
    10:07 PM · Mar 21, 2020

Jake @jakeweingarten
    Memphis and Cincinnati are the latest programs to reach out to Duke transfer Alex O’Connell, a source told @Stockrisers. No shortage of suitors for the guard.
    9:48 AM · Mar 22, 2020

Jake @jakeweingarten
    Memphis has now offered Duke transfer Alex O’Connell, a source told @Stockrisers. As of now he’s a sit one, play one. Tigers love his game.
    6:11 PM · Mar 22, 2020

Georgia would be a home town favorite. Beyond that Georgetown might be a nice fit.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jake @jakeweingarten
    Memphis has now offered Duke transfer Alex O’Connell, a source told @Stockrisers. As of now he’s a sit one, play one. Tigers love his game.
    6:11 PM · Mar 22, 2020
    Would love to see Alex stay at Duke but Memphis is pretty boss. In an alternate reality I will die of alcohol poisoning in an alley off Beale Street with a Gibson L-200 in my embrace.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 03-23-2020 at 07:05 PM. Reason: BB!! My Man!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Would love to see Alex stay at Duke but Memphis is pretty boss. In an alternate reality I will die of alcohol poisoning in an alley off Beale Street with a Gibson L-200 in my embrace.

cute guitar.

I'm more a van nuys schecter and cranked hiwatt (a la..) kinda guy. Hence my tinnitus.

I have family in GA who really like him, too. Hope he goes there so they can cheer him on, live. Will miss him here. He was pretty explosive and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I also saw Williams play along with seeing Robinson, Mantle, Maris, Groat, koufax and most of the other greats of the era. Baseball was a way of life then.
    Wow, that list brought back memories. My stepdad took me to a home run derby in eastern North Carolina, I think it might have been in Kinston - probably about 1961 or 1962. I still have the baseball that I got autographed Roger Maris, Brooks Robinson and Jim Gentile. Certainly was a different time. I just walked into the locker room after they finished up and started asking for autographs. I'm not sure you can do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Wow, that list brought back memories. My stepdad took me to a home run derby in eastern North Carolina, I think it might have been in Kinston - probably about 1961 or 1962. I still have the baseball that I got autographed Roger Maris, Brooks Robinson and Jim Gentile. Certainly was a different time. I just walked into the locker room after they finished up and started asking for autographs. I'm not sure you can do that anymore.
    Were they all smoking RJR products?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yep, and back in those days you could find the white players eating in one restaurant and the black players eating in a different one. I guess their taste in food varied!

Regarding Stan Musial, I was a Dodger fan and attended a doubleheader in which Stan hit four home runs, much to my dismay...also saw a very young Sandy Koufax pitch (1957) that day, he threw very hard but to no spot in particular.
    If I'm not mistaken, Stan hit 5 home runs in a double header against the Giants one time. I believe it may have been the Dodgers that nicknamed him Stan The Man. Those were good days.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Stan hit 5 home runs in a double header against the Giants one time. I believe it may have been the Dodgers that nicknamed him Stan The Man. Those were good days.

GoDuke!
    yes, I recall that he did. Seeing him four in one day was enough for me, he hit several of them into laundry hanging on a clothesline behind the right field seats.

Sometimes I wish there was a metric to track how off-topic a thread can get. I was checked out from DBR over the weekend, saw the headline about AOC in the transfer portal and came here. Lo and behold, the latest on this topic is some extended reminiscing about Stan Musial.

To be clear: not calling anyone out, this is a charming and fun aspect of DBR, and sometimes there's only so much to say on a given topic. Just funny how predictably unpredictable this can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Sometimes I wish there was a metric to track how off-topic a thread can get. I was checked out from DBR over the weekend, saw the headline about AOC in the transfer portal and came here. Lo and behold, the latest on this topic is some extended reminiscing about Stan Musial.

To be clear: not calling anyone out, this is a charming and fun aspect of DBR, and sometimes there's only so much to say on a given topic. Just funny how predictably unpredictable this can be.
    I agree and we sometimes discuss; beer, uncheats, BBQ but that's part of what makes DBR the greatest.

GoDuke!

I agree and we sometimes discuss; beer, uncheats, BBQ but that's part of what makes DBR the greatest.

GoDuke!
    Some would say we have short attention spans...look a squirrel just ran across my lawn

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Some would say we have short attention spans...look a squirrel just ran across my lawn
    And at this point in time, we don't have the NCAAT to discuss. I for one sure do miss it.

GoDuke!

GoDuke!
    My *loose* understanding of some DBR "rules" is that BBQ and the cheats are always on topic but sadly, Ymm, Beer, though quite popular, has been relegated to the Off Topic Board.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My *loose* understanding of some DBR "rules" is that BBQ and the cheats are always on topic but sadly, Ymm, Beer, though quite popular, has been relegated to the Off Topic Board.

I think all threads eventually include the horrific cheating scandal south of I-40 from Durham. And that’s probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I saw a bunny with a pancake on it's head!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

I believe there is a scale, from playing time discussions on one end, to Duke v Kentucky on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I saw a bunny with a pancake on it's head!
    pancake bunny.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, I recall that he did. Seeing him four in one day was enough for me, he hit several of them into laundry hanging on a clothesline behind the right field seats.
    Did Musial hit those home runs against the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds? And was there really laundry hanging on a clothesline behind the right field seats? There were residences that close to the stadium?