Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, and then Alex gets to bring AJ Griffin his water in the 21-22 season.

Alex wants a better chance to start and play starters' minutes, which he hopefully will receive at Creighton.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just my observation -- Alex didn't look comfortable and confident for much of the season. He rushed his shots, was trying too hard in some aspects, and let his concentration lapse at times. Some players under-perform their potential because they just don't have a steady temperament on the court. Does that describe Alex? Perhaps.

The remedy often lies in more playing time, and a steadier approach. The catch at Duke was that Alex didn't get that opportunity because he didn't earn it. Will he demonstrate more consistency at Creighton? Maybe -- I certainly understand his decision and wish him the best.
    It is certainly true that some players tend to press way too much because they're convinced K will yank them if they make a mistake...I agree with you, more time and steadier approach may help him...some guys get more latitude than other guys (K seems to have little forgiveness for defensive errors).
    I had a very interesting conversation some years ago with a very close friend of the Zoubeks about this...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It is certainly true that some players tend to press way too much because they're convinced K will yank them if they make a mistake...I agree with you, more time and steadier approach may help him...some guys get more latitude than other guys (K seems to have little forgiveness for defensive errors).
    I had a very interesting conversation some years ago with a very close friend of the Zoubeks about this...
    A key role and national championship for Zoubs as a senior -- would Brian and his family consider it worth the wait?
    And what would Alex think if he misses out on a Duke national championship season in 2020-21?

Not easy choices about staying or going -- my opinion is that the change makes sense for Alex, but there is no guarantee how it works out.

greybeard? I agree that Coach K has little patience when it comes to missed defensive assignments. He seems to be way more forgiving when it comes to offensive mistakes. The only exception I seem to remember is if a Duke player doesn't communicate when a hard pick is being and a team mate is blown up on said pick. I haven't seen that happen in a long time.

I wish Alex good fortune in his transfer with the exception being if he's playing Duke.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, and then Alex gets to bring AJ Griffin his water in the 21-22 season.

Alex wants a better chance to start and play starters' minutes, which he hopefully will receive at Creighton.
    If Alex's goal is to sit out a year and then play starters' minutes for a tournament caliber team, Creighton seems like a good choice based on the following.

Recently, Creighton has been a tournament more often than not: Since Greg McDermott became head coach 10 seasons ago, Creighton has qualified for the postseason 9 times: 6 NCAA tournaments (counting this year when they were a lock to make the tournament), 2 NIT tournaments (a 2 seed and a 4 seed), and 1 CBI tournament (they advanced to the championship). Looking back further, Creighton has won at least 20 games in 20 of the last 22 season. As a likely preseason Top 10 team, Creighton is widely expected to make next year's NCAA tournament, and it is fair to assume that they will be a tournament caliber team in 2021-22.

Creighton played a bunch of mid-sized guys in 2019-20:
    Last season, Creighton had great success playing "small ball". Creighton's top 6 players were point guard Marcus Zagorowski and 5 guys who were listed between 6'4" and 6'7".

The roster is wide open for Alex in 2021-22:
    Creighton's top 4 wing players last season were Juniors and won't likely be around to compete for playing time with Alex in 2021-22.

Alex is unlikely to have to compete for playing time with NBA talent or 5 star recruits:
    In Greg McDermott's tenure, Creighton has had 3 future NBA players and 0 top 50 RSCI recruits on their roster. During this time, Creighton has had 7 players ranked 51-100 in the final RSCI rankings. So, it seems unlikely that Creighton will bring in multiple hotshot recruits or transfers to compete with Alex in 2021-22.

Greg McDermott seems to be an "offense first" coach:
    At Duke, Alex's offensive skills seemed to be more developed than his defense. This may be a good fit for Creighton, which had the #3 offense and #78 defense last year per KenPom. Over McDermott's 10 years, Creighton's average KenPom ranking is 29 on offense and 98 on defense. Creighton's best KenPom defensive ranking under McDermott is 46. Thus, McDermott may be more willing to put up with defensive limitations/errors than Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    If Alex's goal is to sit out a year and then play starters' minutes for a tournament caliber team, Creighton seems like a good choice based on the following.

Recently, Creighton has been a tournament more often than not: Since Greg McDermott became head coach 10 seasons ago, Creighton has qualified for the postseason 9 times: 6 NCAA tournaments (counting this year when they were a lock to make the tournament), 2 NIT tournaments (a 2 seed and a 4 seed), and 1 CBI tournament (they advanced to the championship). Looking back further, Creighton has won at least 20 games in 20 of the last 22 season. As a likely preseason Top 10 team, Creighton is widely expected to make next year's NCAA tournament, and it is fair to assume that they will be a tournament caliber team in 2021-22.

Creighton played a bunch of mid-sized guys in 2019-20:
    Last season, Creighton had great success playing "small ball". Creighton's top 6 players were point guard Marcus Zagorowski and 5 guys who were listed between 6'4" and 6'7".

The roster is wide open for Alex in 2021-22:
    Creighton's top 4 wing players last season were Juniors and won't likely be around to compete for playing time with Alex in 2021-22.

Alex is unlikely to have to compete for playing time with NBA talent or 5 star recruits:
    In Greg McDermott's tenure, Creighton has had 3 future NBA players and 0 top 50 RSCI recruits on their roster. During this time, Creighton has had 7 players ranked 51-100 in the final RSCI rankings. So, it seems unlikely that Creighton will bring in multiple hotshot recruits or transfers to compete with Alex in 2021-22.

Greg McDermott seems to be an "offense first" coach:
    At Duke, Alex's offensive skills seemed to be more developed than his defense. This may be a good fit for Creighton, which had the #3 offense and #78 defense last year per KenPom. Over McDermott's 10 years, Creighton's average KenPom ranking is 29 on offense and 98 on defense. Creighton's best KenPom defensive ranking under McDermott is 46. Thus, McDermott may be more willing to put up with defensive limitations/errors than Coach K.
    "Must spread them sporkz" . A good view of why Alex might have chosen Creighton as his destination. I like that Alex is taking a year off to work not only on his game but his body as well. I think Alex will play with more confidence if he's not looking over his shoulder at the head coach wondering if he's about to be sent to the bench. I will be forever grateful for his baskets that helped Duke win games over his career.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Not a scientific observation, but Alex's shooting form looked good this year, even as his percentage declined. It seemed to me he had a lot of "good misses" on 3s - shots that went in and out, or were on line but just a bit short or long - and not that many "bad misses" or bricks. Joey, by contrast, seemed to have a lot more of the latter, even though his made percentage was significantly better.
    Couldn't disagree more.

To my eye, he often shot like he was attempting to steer the ball into the hoop, which have his shot for a little hitch. This didn't already happen, and he had some games and some stretches in others where he shot the ball rather than steered it, and his form looked good during those times.

When he was steering, his form did not look good and some of his shots were wildly off; not close at all.

Some of our big guys in years past have fallen victim to that. Marshall Plumlee for one... and Javin a couple of years ago. Comes in way too fired up -- commits a foul or turnover -- sayonara!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yeah, Brian Zoubek was the king of this phenomenon. During his first three years if he so much as breathed in the direction of an opposing player he got called for a foul. Sure, many of the fouls were legit, but a considerable number of them were not.

He would come into the game playing very aggressively on defense and he paid the price. That’s what happens when you are a giant human looking slow-footed and a bit awkward. You almost never get the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, Brian Zoubek was the king of this phenomenon. During his first three years if he so much as breathed in the direction of an opposing player he got called for a foul. Sure, many of the fouls were legit, but a considerable number of them were not.

He would come into the game playing very aggressively on defense and he paid the price. That’s what happens when you are a giant human looking slow-footed and a bit awkward. You almost never get the benefit of the doubt.
    He would try to ratchet up the team's energy by bringing so much of his own into the game. This was generally encouraged by the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

To my eye, he often shot like he was attempting to steer the ball into the hoop, which have his shot for a little hitch. This didn't already happen, and he had some games and some stretches in others where he shot the ball rather than steered it, and his form looked good during those times.

When he was steering, his form did not look good and some of his shots were wildly off; not close at all.
    Fair points, though I would that argue most of his steering was on mid-range shots and pull-up jumpers, which were often not fluid. I still think his form on 3s, especially of the catch and shoot variety, was generally very good. Fully admit that is not a distinction I made in my original post, though.

Creighton's press release states that he will sit out a year.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2020/4/...l-program.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Sounds like AOC will have some competition there as well. Life in the big leagues of college ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Sounds like AOC will have some competition there as well. Life in the big leagues of college ball.
    Just checked out youtube and the young man definitely has some Ginobili in his game.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Maybe AOC will learn from him about what it’s like to live and play in Europe.