Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

AOC Transfers to Creighton

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Just saw this on an ESPN Alert.

https://thespun.com/acc/duke-blue-devils/duke-alex-o-connell-transfer-portal-enter
    Beat me to the punch. Now we have actual reporting, not speculation!

Sad to see AOC go (if indeed he does, I believe you don’t necessarily HAVE to transfer when you enter the portal, even if it’s 99%). He had so much potential and just never fully realized it. And he did seem to love being at Duke.

In K we trust.

This is disappointing. I’ve been a fan of his and was hoping he would breakout. Here’s wishing Alex “Fair winds and following seas.”

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ll-to-transfer
    Bob Green

I wish him the best; I suppose it's possible he returns, but probably not.

I'd like to see him go to a reasonably good program where he stands a good chance of being a starter and getting big minutes. With such a role, I can easily visualize him gaining confidence and consistency. Just a wild guess -- scoring something like 15 pts a game with some highlight dunks.

any chance he's on pace to graduate early? doesn't make a lot of sense to throw away a duke degree for 1 year elsewhere while having to sit out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This is disappointing. I’ve been a fan of his and was hoping he would breakout. Here’s wishing Alex “Fair winds and following seas.”

Well said Bob. I too have been a fan of his and keep hoping for a breakout. I still hope for a breakout. Just looks like it may happen elsewhere.

Can we orchestrate a trade with Harvard? AOC for Seth Towns, straight up...

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    any chance he's on pace to graduate early? doesn't make a lot of sense to throw away a duke degree for 1 year elsewhere while having to sit out a year.
    Some yammering in various places that he will have enough credits this summer. I dunno myself, but isn't it usually clear when you transfer, what the terms are?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Least surprising transfer since Chase Jeter. He showed plenty of potential but could never earn consistent playing time. With Baker coming on strong it was unlikely he would ever play more than 10-15 MPG. He could go to a less prominent program and be a starter.

I’m disappointed that he’s likely leaving, but this season was his opportunity to crack the rotation and he never could. I think he expanded his game beyond just 3pt shooting, he cut down in turnovers and sloppy play and was more aggressive going to the rim but his shooting actually suffered as a result and his defense was average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Some yammering in various places that he will have enough credits this summer. I dunno myself, but isn't it usually clear when you transfer, what the terms are?
    Everything is pass fail. Who knows if they will have summer school. I anticipate he will graduate though.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Everything is pass fail. Who knows if they will have summer school. I anticipate he will graduate though.
    Has Duke gone all pass/fail this semester? St. John's may be (at least expanding the protocols). Will find out soon.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Yeah, COVID 19 throws any thoughts of whether he could grad transfer into chaos. I would imagine he's well informed on the matter, and I have to think that, with one year of eligibility left, this move only really makes sense if he can grad transfer (I would imagine it'd be very tough to wait a year and then play as a fifth year senior in a new program).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Ratfarts.

I hate to see any of our guys want to leave.

Best wishes to him. Hope he goes somewhere I can root for him.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Has Duke gone all pass/fail this semester? St. John's may be (at least expanding the protocols). Will find out soon.
    Yes it has. It's technically Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory, with Satisfactory equating to a C- or above. I believe you can make a special request if you want a letter grade for a specific course. No idea the criteria they use to evaluate such a request. So unclear what that means for summer courses at the moment...

Good luck to AOC. Guys on the team seemed to like him. Always worked hard - wouldn't surprise me to see him be a solid contributor elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Definitely disappointing. If he goes anywhere he should transfer to Syracuse. He always played great with them. Go Duke. 9F
    The Terrapin Assassin

Its a good decision from AOC, as much as I would hate for him to leave.

He came in as a 3 star recruit and actually overachieved by my measure. He will get to go to a smaller school/conference and play starter minutes as a senior.

It might also mean we are getting Seth Towns next year? Playing time will be limited and competition fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Ratfarts.
    Good to know you can sneak that past the wanker filter

I feel like players with his personality tend not to do reach their potential at Duke. He always came across as someone with talent who needed trust, support, and regular playing time to reach his potential. K is a military man first, and I don't think it's surprising that players who respond better to being challenged end up having more success, whereas players like Alex, Marques, Chase, and many others who withdraw a bit when they get benched and criticized end up glued to the bench. When we consider that we always have enough talent that K doesn't have to play guys through their struggles, it's pretty close to a guarantee that anyone who isn't an elite prospect probably shouldn't play for him if they don't have the personality he does well with.

I'll definitely be rooting for him elsewhere, and I hope he does end up sitting a year even if he graduates. It would really do him good to sit for a year and work on his body and comfort with the ball. He still has real NBA potential if he can put it all together, and he wasn't going to get there with another year sitting on the Duke bench.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Ratfarts.
    Sorry to see Alex go. I was an undergrad when his dad played for us, his career detoured with knee injuries. Lee Melchioni had a nice career, and his dad Gary had his career game (30 points!) vs. Maryland my freshman year. Still one of the 5 loudest times I've ever heard Cameron! LDG GTHc!

Good luck Alex, I, and we, wish you the best!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

I too have been a fan and supporter, always hoping for his performance to catch up with his obvious talent. I wish him the best and hope that he can land where he will get to play starter minutes.
    He probably correctly surmised his role at Duke would remain as a support player with the incoming talent. We could have used his experience but it appears that is not to be the case.