Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    T Hill’s amazing shots at 4:00 in regulation and then at 1:00!
    T Hill is an under appreciated player. He was extremely talented, steady and clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What an amazing game. Love Ks immediate recognition of Kentucky's players in post-game.
    This game was amazing for a bunch of intangibles as well as the tangible amazing play on the court. I remember thinking right as it ended that "Duke and Kentucky are now forever linked" in a way, and that has played out. I also immediately thought that 1974 State Maryland just got bumped to second place.

Coach K going for the UK players before celebrating...was amazing...Coach K going on UK Radio to congratulate Caywood Ledford and the UK fans was amazing. Think about it, this was probably the ONLY time Kentucky had been the fuzzy lovable underdog in a meaningful basketball game. That it was Ledford's last game as the PBP guy for UK after 40 years is just an astonishing footnote.

What was also amazing is Pitino understanding that in the long run, Duke winning in the end like that was the best thing that could happen to Kentucky. Had Kentucky won, the Duke "dynasty" wouldn't have really been the dynasty...it required back to back Nattys IMO...and no body would be talking about that game today...because that UK team was not winning the Title. It would have been just another upset in the NCAAs....ironically those UK players are only relevant because of who they almost beat....and the iconic nature of the play that beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This game was amazing for a bunch of intangibles as well as the tangible amazing play on the court. I remember thinking right as it ended that "Duke and Kentucky are now forever linked" in a way, and that has played out. I also immediately thought that 1974 State Maryland just got bumped to second place.

Coach K going for the UK players before celebrating...was amazing...Coach K going on UK Radio to congratulate Caywood Ledford and the UK fans was amazing. Think about it, this was probably the ONLY time Kentucky had been the fuzzy lovable underdog in a meaningful basketball game. That it was Ledford's last game as the PBP guy for UK after 40 years is just an astonishing footnote.

What was also amazing is Pitino understanding that in the long run, Duke winning in the end like that was the best thing that could happen to Kentucky. Had Kentucky won, the Duke "dynasty" wouldn't have really been the dynasty...it required back to back Nattys IMO...and no body would be talking about that game today...because that UK team was not winning the Title. It would have been just another upset in the NCAAs...ironically those UK players are only relevant because of who they almost beat...and the iconic nature of the play that beat them.
    Watching the game "in real time" as opposed to just the highlights for the first time in almost 30 years, it is striking how many really great plays there are in both teams. It seems like both teams shot 80% from the field. Just round after round of good basketball.

Watching the game "in real time" as opposed to just the highlights for the first time in almost 30 years, it is striking how many really great plays there are in both teams. It seems like both teams shot 80% from the field. Just round after round of good basketball.
    Sean Woods had a Bootsy Thornton type game. He averaged 7.7 ppg for the 1992 season; against Duke he had 21 points and 9 assists. Some of the shots were improbable, including the late bank shot floater from 12 feet over Laettner's outstretched arms.

For Duke, I hadn't remembered that Bobby Hurley hit FIVE 3-pointers. He ended up with 22 points and 10 assists, so both point guards were superb.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...3-28-duke.html

I agree- there were stretches- where the level of play on both sides was extraordinary. Excellent passing- great shot making and impressive rebounding in traffic. I too had not watched in almost 30 years and it was still stressful. Not sure how many years were taken off my life watching that one the first time- thankfully I was much younger!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree- there were stretches- where the level of play on both sides was extraordinary. Excellent passing- great shot making and impressive rebounding in traffic. I too had not watched in almost 30 years and it was still stressful. Not sure how many years were taken off my life watching that one the first time- thankfully I was much younger!
    Most alcohol I ever consumed in a less than an hour. Couldn’t approach that today.

Anybody else stuck by how much different the game seemed compared with modern games?

They have been shortening the shot clock but scoring is still going down. These two teams combined for over 180 points in regulation with a longer shot clock. The game was very entertaining to watch, too.
    What in the world happened to college basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Anybody else stuck by how much different the game seemed compared with modern games?

They have been shortening the shot clock but scoring is still going down. These two teams combined for over 180 points in regulation with a longer shot clock. The game was very entertaining to watch, too.
    More and more contact slowly bleed into the game and just has gotten worse and worse until we basically have slug fests vs teams like Florida State and Virginia. Funny thing is the NBA has gone in the opposite direction where early teams like Knicks and Pistons in '92 could beat their opponents down had to adjust to a league over the years looking for less contact and letting basketball players make basketball plays. College for some reason has let so much contact in the game it feels like it's basketball players trying to beat football defense. I don't think I watched 5 non-Duke games this year because the overall game is so bad, it's not basketball, at least not compared to a gem like Duke-Kentucky '92.

One gripe on the CBS reshowing of the game, you know how long the game is, don't do the we go ahead in the action crap to fit it into a two hour block, either show it all or don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    More and more contact slowly bleed into the game and just has gotten worse and worse until we basically have slug fests vs teams like Florida State and Virginia. Funny thing is the NBA has gone in the opposite direction where early teams like Knicks and Pistons in '92 could beat their opponents down had to adjust to a league over the years looking for less contact and letting basketball players make basketball plays. College for some reason has let so much contact in the game it feels like it's basketball players trying to beat football defense. I don't think I watched 5 non-Duke games this year because the overall game is so bad, it's not basketball, at least not compared to a gem like Duke-Kentucky '92.

One gripe on the CBS reshowing of the game, you know how long the game is, don't do the we go ahead in the action crap to fit it into a two hour block, either show it all or don't bother.
    I think both teams shot above 60% which is crazy except Laettner poor guy messed around and shot 100%.

Yes - the rule changes have not helped the scoring- the three was closer and the players were more experienced. Mashburn and Hill might not have been playing as sophomores. Not sure those days will ever be back.

I miss flowy hoops!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sean Woods had a Bootsy Thornton type game. He averaged 7.7 ppg for the 1992 season; against Duke he had 21 points and 9 assists. Some of the shots were improbable, including the late bank shot floater from 12 feet over Laettner's outstretched arms.

For Duke, I hadn't remembered that Bobby Hurley hit FIVE 3-pointers. He ended up with 22 points and 10 assists, so both point guards were superb.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...3-28-duke.html
    A bit like Jack Givens who had a crazy championship game against Duke in 1978 with 41. Up until the Finals he had 11,12,14, and 23 points in tourney games. He picked the Finals to have the game of his life.

Alert Cheats about to get their hearts ripped out at 559pm this afternoon on CBS.

There is a great documentary from ESPN, I think it's called "The Laettner Game" - and there are a lot of sportscasters and sports writers who alluded to the fact that it was just one great play and one great shot after another...that no one messed up....it was simply a case of top this.

I guess that was an early iteration of "hold my beer" -

Not thrilled to see — unless DirecTV schedule is incorrect, which is entirely possible — ACC Network is showing nothing but football through March 28. Jeepers.

Please give us some basketball, or Packer & Durham replays. Please, no all access for Cheats.

2K8 has a live stream of Duke Hofstra- simulating the tourney. Duke down 2 with 10 minutes left in the first half

2K8 has a live stream of Duke Hofstra- simulating the tourney. Duke down 2 with 10 minutes left in the first half
    Wow this is frustrating. Tre is turning the ball over in ways I have never seen. White is playing wel though

link?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Wow this is frustrating. Tre is turning the ball over in ways I have never seen. White is playing wel though
    We have a thread for simulated tournaments:
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...read.php?45049

That said, a 2-point deficit to Hofstra after 10 minutes of play does sound fairly realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    "OK, it went in ... but that was a TERRIBLE shot!" LOLOL