Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Lute Olson

RIP Lute Olson

He was a giant of the sport...

https://www.kold.com/2020/08/27/uari...te-olson-dies/

Yeah, he did some questionable things (and I know K refused to play in Arizona after getting jobbed HARD by the refs on one visit), but he was largely a well respected man and he was unquestionably an excellent coach.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-29-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He was a giant of the sport...

https://www.kold.com/2020/08/27/uari...te-olson-dies/

Yeah, he did some questionable things (and I know K refused to play in Arizona after getting jobbed HARD by the refs on one visit), but he was largely a well respected man and he was unquestionably an excellent coach.
    I was there..it was quite a game is all I can say...

Old school coach and very nice in person. He struggled mightily, suffering from Alzheimer's during his final years.
    Duke fans may not have liked him much but he was a fine person.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The longevity of Coach K

I know this thread is about Lute Olson, and he was by most accounts a wonderful man, husband, and coach, but his passing got me thinking about all the coaches that have coached against Coach K in the Final Four. Olson's last trip to the Final 4 ended with a barrage of 3's from Mike Dunleavy and the spectacular all-around play of Shane Battier in 2001. Of the 12 trips to the Final Four (and counting?), only 3 coaches remain active:

• Roy Williams (formerly of Kansas)
    • Tom Izzo
    • Bob Huggins

That's it. Every other coach that has stood on the other sideline against Coach K is either retired or deceased. What an incredible career. And it's not even done!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I know this thread is about Lute Olson, and he was by most accounts a wonderful man, husband, and coach, but his passing got me thinking about all the coaches that have coached against Coach K in the Final Four. Olson's last trip to the Final 4 ended with a barrage of 3's from Mike Dunleavy and the spectacular all-around play of Shane Battier in 2001. Of the 12 trips to the Final Four (and counting?), only 3 coaches remain active:

• Tom Izzo
    • Bob Huggins

That's it. Every other coach that has stood on the other sideline against Coach K is either retired or deceased. What an incredible career. And it's not even done!
    Jim Calhoun is still active. If you count Division III.

To the topic, Lute Olson did seem like a standup guy. On-court rivalries aside my thoughts to his family (personal and basketball).

Also, Jason you spelled his name wrong
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Brad Stevens is also active. If you count the NBA.

To the topic, Lute Olson did seem like a standup guy. On-court rivalries aside my thoughts to his family (personal and basketball).

Jason obviously has the Olsen twins on his mind. Perhaps they are the ones to solve all of the world's problems.

Of the 12 trips to the Final Four (and counting?), only 3 coaches remain active:

• Tom Izzo
    • Bob Huggins

That's it. Every other coach that has stood on the other sideline against Coach K is either retired or deceased.
    In addition to the asterisks of Jim Calhoun and Brad Stevens, there is a fourth official name for your list:

Spoiler!

Eh... A friend who is a huge Arizona fan and alum says Lute was a very I pleasant person off the court and in his personal life. I'm not in any position to judge, and wasn't going to bring it up unless someone stated otherwise.

Anyway, he was certainly a great coach with a lot of wins. His death is a loss for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    In addition to the asterisks of Jim Calhoun and Brad Stevens, there is a fourth official name for your list:

Spoiler!
    My goodness, it completely skipped my mind that Lon Kruger was still active. Incredible.

Still, of the 19 games played, only 4 currently-active head coaches.

Ton of talent on the floor when we played them in the title game in '01. I remember it well.

RIP Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Ton of talent on the floor when we played them in the title game in '01. I remember it well.

RIP Coach.
    I watched that game recently. I thought the same thing. How much talent was on the floor that night.

Also loved that he beat Dean in 88 in the NCAAT and in Dean's last game in 97. The 88 game really stands out for some reason, maybe because they crushed the Cheats and we did not know the 97 game would prove to be Dean's last.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/...ball%20history.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I watched that game recently. I thought the same thing. How much talent was on the floor that night. u

Also loved that he beat Dean in 88 in the NCAAT and in Dean's last game in 97. The 88 game really stands out for some reason, maybe because they crushed the Cheats and we did not know the 97 game would prove to be Dean's last.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/...ball%20history.
    I've long thought that his '88 team was his best, better than '97 or '01. Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr, Anthony Cook, Craig McMillan, Tom Tolbert, Jud Buecher, future MLB star Kenny Lofton. Still not sure how they lost to Oklahoma.

I'm still waiting for that 1988 Duke-Arizona title match.

My goodness, it completely skipped my mind that Lon Kruger was still active. Incredible.

Not entirely surprising since 12 of those games were >25 years ago and another 4 > 15 years ago. Only 2 happened within the last 10 years.
    Last edited by freshmanjs; 08-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've long thought that his '88 team was his best, better than '97 or '01. Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr, Anthony Cook, Craig McMillan, Tom Tolbert, Jud Buecher, future MLB star Kenny Lofton. Still not sure how they lost to Oklahoma.

I'm still waiting for that 1988 Duke-Arizona title match.
    Speaking of Kenny Lofton. I loved those Nike commercials with all the fast people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpdZn5rnD8

That was the Pac 12, at least back then

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Back in the day, some of the Pac 12 refs were complete homers. In fact, when I left California for Duke in 1987, I was surprised that the ACC refs were pretty fair all around since I wasn't used to that at all. There was a ref named Booker Turner, who actually did a few Final Four games, that was a homer even against other Pac 12 teams. On TV you would hear the visiting players yelling "Come on, Booker" at some of his more outrageous calls, but he didn't seem to get upset, or change his calls for that matter.

Also, it’s 21 by my count.

A worthy adversary

Those outside of Arizona may not be familiar with the "odd couple" corporate commercials Lute did with Bill Frieder, then coach of Arizona State.

Here's a collection of them; my favorite begins around 1m 57s. It really captures their respective personas in a humorous way.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Also, it’s 21 by my count.
    I count 21 as well. Let's just write it all out.

1986: W-Kansas (Larry Brown), L-Louisville (Denny Crum)
    1988: L-Kansas (Larry Brown)
    1989: L-Seton Hall (PJ Carlesimo)
    1990: W-Arkansas (Nolan Richardson), L-UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)
    1991: W-UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian), W-Kansas (Roy Williams)
    1992: W-Indiana (Bob Knight), W-Michigan (Steve Fisher)

1994: W-Florida (Lon Kruger), L-Arkansas (Nolan Richardson)
    1999: W-Michigan State (Tom Izzo), L-Connecticut (Jim Calhoun)
    2001: W-Maryland (Gary Williams), W-Arizona (Lute Olson)
    2004: L-Connecticut (Jim Calhoun)
    2010: W-West Virginia (Bob Huggins), W-Butler (Brad Stevens)
    2015: W-Michigan State (Tom Izzo), W-Wisconsin (Bo Ryan)

Coach K is 14-7 in the Final Four. He is 2-0 against Tom Izzo so far, 0-2 against Jim Calhoun, and 1-1 against Larry Brown, Jerry Tarkanian, and Nolan Richardson.

In 2009 I was at a charity event in Phoenix where I found myself seated next to Lute during the event’s after party. We talked about basketball for a bit and he was very pleasant until I brought up the fact that I was a Duke fan. His tone drastically changed and you could feel his disdain for Duke. He got so heated at one point that his daughter had to tell him, “that’s enough dad.” She apologized to me and said that he was still bitter from ‘01. I can honestly say that having lived in Arizona for 6 years, they are still not over the loss in ‘01 even to this day.