Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    And this reminds me fondly of Phil Henderson, who also planned to transfer, but returned to Duke and had one of the most underrated senior seasons that I have witnessed at Duke. The underrated comment of course is just my humble opinion.

One game that stands out in my faded memory was the win vs UCLA in the NCAAT when he had 28 and it seems carried us a for a long stretch when Laettner was in foul trouble. That team never reaches a final four if he doesn't return.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/08...7019620452800/
    Illinois wouldn't accept all of his credits from Duke. Man bites dog.

Phil Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    And this reminds me fondly of Phil Henderson, who also planned to transfer, but returned to Duke and had one of the most underrated senior seasons that I have witnessed at Duke. The underrated comment of course is just my humble opinion.

One game that stands out in my faded memory was the win vs UCLA in the NCAAT when he had 28 and it seems carried us a for a long stretch when Laettner was in foul trouble. That team never reaches a final four if he doesn't return.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/08...7019620452800/
    Can't believe you've mentioned his senior season and not mentioned this:

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    RIP Phil Henderson. Taken far too young.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    One of my favorite Duke plays ever. But that was his junior year.

An interesting transfer hit the portal today. Adam Kunkel, a 6'5" guard from Belmont by way of Hebron, KY, has announced his intent to transfer. Kunkel is a good and possibly great shooter, hitting 39% of his 3' off of 6.5 attempts and better than 82% from the FT line. He was an All-Ohio Valley Conference player this past season after averaging less than 3 pts a game his freshman season. Kunkel then poured in 16.5 points/game as a sophomore. He has 2 years of eligibility ahead of him. A lot of teams will be after Kunkel's services. Kunkel scored a career high 35 points against BC this past season. He looks quick if not the best leaper/jumper.

Given Duke's apparanent need for guards in 2022-23, I wonder if the Blue Devils will reach out.

Here's a highlight video (you may want to mute it if you are sensitive to language in music):

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    An interesting transfer hit the portal today. Adam Kunkel, a 6'5" guard from Belmont by way of Hebron, KY, has announced his intent to transfer. Kunkel is a good and possibly great shooter, hitting 39% of his 3' off of 6.5 attempts and better than 82% from the FT line. He was an All-Ohio Valley Conference player this past season after averaging less than 3 pts a game his freshman season. Kunkel then poured in 16.5 points/game as a sophomore. He has 2 years of eligibility ahead of him. A lot of teams will be after Kunkel's services. Kunkel scored a career high 35 points against BC this past season. He looks quick if not the best leaper/jumper.

Given Duke's apparanent need for guards in 2022-23, I wonder if the Blue Devils will reach out.

Here's a highlight video (you may want to mute it if you are sensitive to language in music):

Interesting, although count me as skeptical that Duke would get involved. I forget the exact citation, but there was a semi-recent piece on ESPN that analyzed the data and showed that impact "up-transfers" (i.e. guys moving from mid-majors to high-majors) tend to be the exception, not the norm... i.e. we hit the ball out of the park with Seth Curry. I'm not opposed to pursuing a guy like this if he's interesting in being a role player, but oftentimes this type of decision is made in the hopes of being an impact player at the higher level. Even if we're thin on the perimeter, I don't think we'll have that big of a role available.

All that said a lot would depend on this guy individually, so who knows. Something to keep an eye on to be sure.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

If, as some expect, the coming season is going to be a wash, it would seem to be the perfect time for a sit-out transfer to move to a new team. After all, everyone is sitting out the season so it effectively eliminates the penalty for transferring if everyone is being forced to do it.

I wonder if we see a decent number of "late deciding" transfers over the next few weeks before classes start up again.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?