Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    https://twitter.com/MatthewGut21/sta...711000582?s=20

That was fast - Towns apparently down to Duke and Ohio St.
    Wow! He had tweeted out that he wanted to make a decision this week. I see a better fit with Ohio State given the roster situation there and his ability to play the 3 or the 4. Duke has a ton of guys that have the same size and rough athletic profile. But Towns is a heck of a shooter and a great player when healthy. He's certainly not someone I would turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Wow! He had tweeted out that he wanted to make a decision this week. I see a better fit with Ohio State given the roster situation there and his ability to play the 3 or the 4. Duke has a ton of guys that have the same size and rough athletic profile. But Towns is a heck of a shooter and a great player when healthy. He's certainly not someone I would turn down.
    It is at least conceivable that he is evaluating more than just the basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It is at least conceivable that he is evaluating more than just the basketball...
    I would bet Coach Tommie Amaker might have some bearing on his decision.

Anyone understand what the heck is going on at Wichita St.? Of the 6 transfers they've lost I think at least 3-4 of them were slated to be starters or at least rotation players next year.

We think this means Marshall is leaving or just that the bloom is off the rose there?

I wonder if they are regretting giving up the chance to be the "Gonzaga of the MVC" for the reality of being in the middle of the pack in the AAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Anyone understand what the heck is going on at Wichita St.? Of the 6 transfers they've lost I think at least 3-4 of them were slated to be starters or at least rotation players next year.

We think this means Marshall is leaving or just that the bloom is off the rose there?

I wonder if they are regretting giving up the chance to be the "Gonzaga of the MVC" for the reality of being in the middle of the pack in the AAC.
    No idea what's going on, but the transfers are 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores who totaled 100 minutes per game this season. Ouch!

This thread will EXPLODE if, as expected, the NCAA opens up the world of "transfer without sitting out a year" this summer.

I frankly don't understand why any kid would make a transfer decision yet before we know what the NBA draft and open transfer rules will bring. It is not like committing now means you can get to campus to start working out and the such... every program in the country is basically on mothballs for the foreseeable future.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    He has a degree from Harvard already, so it seems doubtful that academics are a consideration. Is there something else that you are hinting at?

Quote Originally Posted by golfinesquire View Post
    He has a degree from Harvard already, so it seems doubtful that academics are a consideration. Is there something else that you are hinting at?
    Duke does have some "decent" post-grad schools so academics may be the consideration...There is a professor in the Fuqua school that he might want to contact.

If you want to see who is in the transfer portal, Verbal Commits has a running list that gets updated frequently each day. A couple of centers and forwards pop out to me:

Hayden Koval, 7'0" C, Central Arkansas: He's a career 34% 3P%/ 73% FT%, looks fairly mobile with a reasonable post game or can hit a step-back jumper. He averaged about 3 blocks per game, too. He could be useful, although I am not sure if he is immediately eligible as a grad transfer. He might be a sit one/play one type.

Taurean Thompson, 6'11" F, Syracuse, Seton Hall: After a promising freshman season for the Orange where he averaged 9 points and a block per game, Thompson transferred to Seton Hall and sort of got lost. He only played in 1 game this year for the Pirates. A former Top 100 recruit, Thompson is immediately elligible.

Patrick Tape, 6'10" F/C, Columbia: From Charlotte, Tape got an expanded role in 2019-20 and turned about 22 minutes a game into better than 11 points, 6 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block per game. He seems like a near perfect fit for Duke from an athletic and academic standpoint and a guy that probably wouldn't expect to be more than a role player. Immediately eligible.

Jordan Bruner, 6'9" F, Yale: Speaking of the Ivy League, Bruner is a rugged and athletic forward that gives you a bit of everything. He's had knee issues and may elect to go pro in Europe. But he added a 3-point shot to his game this past season for the Bulldogs (32.3% on 3+ attempts per game) and also gives you interior scoring and some shot blocking. He's an excellent rebounder and passer for a big man, too. I expect he'll be in high demand.
    I posted the above in the "Who Stays, Who Goes?" thread and want to toot my own horn for a moment.

Jon Rothstein tweeted this morning that Duke has reached out to Patrick Tape (Tuh-PAY, as in, you have to pay the Landlord!). Of three Ivy League players Duke has contacted - Bruner, Tape, and Seth Towns - I think Tape is exactly the type of transfer that would fit Duke next season. He only played about 22 minutes a game in 2018-19 and chose to sit out last season to become a grad transfer. He'd be a 5th year player and probably wouldn't have an expectation of being the starter on day one. He could certainly earn it if it came to it. He is a good rim protector and rebounder with good size.

Here's a highlight clip. I see a guy that can give 15-20 minutes against high major competition, provide some interior size and depth.

Agree about Tape. But I like Townes also for his shooting. Something that has been an achilles heel the last 2-3 years. Both would fit needs. Especially if Cassius is gone.

Every year Coach K has exit interviews with the players after the season. I know they are out of school, but with technology, you wonder if those interviews haven't taken place this week, the staff knows what their rosters will look like next season and thus the sudden spike in interest on the transfer portal.

Some time ago I opined that it would be nice to pick up another big man to support Mark Williams in the coming season. Mark is afterall a freshman and if things go well is unlikely to play more then 25 minutes a game. If he is foul prone or gets injured then we will be left with smaller players to protect the middle and rebound. Henry Coleman was pointed out as a 6'8" 240# strong kid who would likely fulfill that role with the current roster. Others mentioned Keenan Worthington and a 6'8/9" kid that ight have gained weight and strength in his red shirt year. I still like the idea of a true big man and the three young men listed as potential grad transfers all look to be better answers than the alternatives currently available. Thanks for pointing them out and I am sure that aspect of the team has been discussed among the coaches.

Patrick Tape would seem to be the right profile and fit. I could see him getting 20-25 minutes at the 5. Not sure there's more than 5 minutes a game with Hurt/Jalen/Coleman playing at the 5.

I posted the above in the "Who Stays, Who Goes?" thread and want to toot my own horn for a moment.

Jon Rothstein tweeted this morning that Duke has reached out to Patrick Tape (Tuh-PAY, as in, you have to pay the Landlord!). Of three Ivy League players Duke has contacted - Bruner, Tape, and Seth Towns - I think Tape is exactly the type of transfer that would fit Duke next season. He only played about 22 minutes a game in 2018-19 and chose to sit out last season to become a grad transfer. He'd be a 5th year player and probably wouldn't have an expectation of being the starter on day one. He could certainly earn it if it came to it. He is a good rim protector and rebounder with good size.

Here's a highlight clip. I see a guy that can give 15-20 minutes against high major competition, provide some interior size and depth.

From Charlotte- Duke has had good success with athletes from Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Patrick Tape would seem to be the right profile and fit. I could see him getting 20-25 minutes at the 5. Not sure there's more than 5 minutes a game with Hurt/Jalen/Coleman playing at the 5.
    He seems to be built like Javin but with a different set of offensive skills.😀

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Duke does have some "decent" post-grad schools so academics may be the consideration...There is a professor in the Fuqua school that he might want to contact.
    For what? An MMS program? Vast majority of masters in the US are multi-year programs. One-year isn't going to change your career trajectory.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I liked the offensive skills and that he was pretty quick to get into his post moves. Would have been nice to see some defense besides recovery blocked shots...yeah I know it is a highlight reel...

Also 9 minutes of pick-and-rolls & post moves is a lot to watch at one sitting...
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I liked the offensive skills and that he was pretty quick to get into his post moves. Would have been nice to see some defense besides recovery blocked shots...yeah I know it is a highlight reel...

Also 9 minutes of pick-and-rolls & post moves is a lot to watch at one sitting...
    When you could be drinking at a bar? Or eating at a restaurant? Or shopping for clothes? Oh wait...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I am curious about what Tape has been doing for the past year. He quit the Columbia team in October and I believe he was healthy at the time. Has he been working on his game with a skills coach? Playing IM at Columbia? Sitting on the couch eating Cheetos and playing FortNite?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    For what? An MMS program? Vast majority of masters in the US are multi-year programs. One-year isn't going to change your career trajectory.
    Towns likely has TWO years of eligibility left, assuming his injury waiver is granted next year. Free grad school for a player with an injury history seems like a pretty big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am curious about what Tape has been doing for the past year. He quit the Columbia team in October and I believe he was healthy at the time. Has he been working on his game with a skills coach? Playing IM at Columbia? Sitting on the couch eating Cheetos and playing FortNite?
    I've decided to call it pre-quarantining if occurred prior to 2020.