Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

2020 Off season transfer thread

As some folks suggested in the Darius Perry thread, we need a single unified place to talk about transfers and player movement around the NCAA. Obviously, folks should not feel the need to note every single transfer happening, merely ones that may be of interest to the ACC and perhaps other significant programs that we follow.

Anyway, we have seen Va Tech lose Landers Nolley and Louisville lose Darius Perry in recent days (destinations still unknown). Please comment on those two transfers and other new ones in this thread going forward.

Thanks!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As some folks suggested in the Darius Perry thread, we need a single unified place to talk about transfers and player movement around the NCAA. Obviously, folks should not feel the need to note every single transfer happening, merely ones that may be of interest to the ACC and perhaps other significant programs that we follow.

Anyway, we have seen Va Tech lose Landers Nolley and Louisville lose Darius Perry in recent days (destinations still unknown). Please comment on those two transfers and other new ones in this thread going forward.

Thanks!
    Can players enter the portal and return to their teams?
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Can players enter the portal and return to their teams?
    Absolutely, does not happen often, but it does happen.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's a link to the 247 transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Ba...ransferPortal/

I'm curious why Landers Nolley decided to transfer after a solid sophomore season at VT rather than just entering the NBA draft or playing overseas.

As for Duke, I wouldn't be shocked to see one name pop up on the list, but I'll reserve speculation on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Here's a link to the 247 transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Ba...ransferPortal/

I'm curious why Landers Nolley decided to transfer after a solid sophomore season at VT rather than just entering the NBA draft or playing overseas.

As for Duke, I wouldn't be shocked to see one name pop up on the list, but I'll reserve speculation on that.
    From what I have read, Nolley was upset with having to play the post so much, at least on defense, and wanted to move to the wing. I sort of don't blame him as he was the biggest guy they had on the court for most of the year and appeared to get worn down as the season progressed. If he makes it to the NBA, and I think he has a chance, it will be a s 2 or a 3. Defending big men every night was not his cup of tea.

Thanks for creating this thread for transfers.

It appears that Yale F Jordan Bruner has heard from Duke. Bruner is from SC, although geography does not appear to be an issue for the young man. He will have interest from practically every school.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    From what I have read, Nolley was upset with having to play the post so much, at least on defense, and wanted to move to the wing. I sort of don't blame him as he was the biggest guy they had on the court for most of the year and appeared to get worn down as the season progressed. If he makes it to the NBA, and I think he has a chance, it will be a s 2 or a 3. Defending big men every night was not his cup of tea.
    I understand that aspect, but why transfer? Just go pro. Don't waste a year sitting out when you just had a great year.

Pitt losing Trey McGowens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...al/ar-BB11nKGM

Can they find him? About this time last year Alabama guard Kira Lewis announced he was leaving and Duke showed some early interest. But Lewis elected to return to "Bama.

So, as Jim Carrey said, there's a chance.

It appears that Yale F Jordan Bruner has heard from Duke. Bruner is from SC, although geography does not appear to be an issue for the young man. He will have interest from practically every school.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Bruner would be a great fit (and a graduate from a top University to boot) - a bit like Amile and he has played in Cameron! K needs to make a big play for him. He could get a lot of PT at Duke.
    Yeah, Bruner would be a very good addition. With the strong likelihood that we'll be starting two guys in Wendell and Jalen who are poor shooters, if we add a big to the team, he needs to have perimeter skills. Shooting obviously, but passing and dribbling would be nice, too. Bruner seems to have all that although obviously I wish his 3-pt percentage were higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, Bruner would be a very good addition. With the strong likelihood that we'll be starting two guys in Wendell and Jalen who are poor shooters, if we add a big to the team, he needs to have perimeter skills. Shooting obviously, but passing and dribbling would be nice, too. Bruner seems to have all that although obviously I wish his 3-pt percentage were higher.
    Not everyone big can be a 40% 3 point shooter like Justin Robinson

DJ Carton at OSU and Gilbert from UCONN are entering the portal. DJ was solid as a freshmen before taking a leave from the team.

If that were to happen, would be one of the rare times when coming to Duke (from a non-basketball perspective) might be a step down.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Really? Is he going to have the academic chops for Duke?

Interesting- right after I posted that K should make a big play for him Duke is a really good fit. I hope they can make it happen- plus he will have a very nice resume.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    If that were to happen, would be one of the rare times when coming to Duke (from a non-basketball perspective) might be a step down.
    You may be relying too heavily on the U.S. News rankings. We all know that their voters lack a recency bias.

YALE (62 Nobel laureates)
    John Goodenough, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2019)
    William Nordhaus, Nobel Prize in Economics (2018)

DUKE (15 Nobel laureates)
    William Kaelin Jr., Nobel Prize in Medicine (2019)
    Gregg L. Semenza, Nobel Prize in Medicine (2019)
    George Smith, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2018)

Has anyone found a good metric for Nobel Prize efficiency? I tried KenSta, but he seems to favor Baylor and Pepperdine.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    When Brodhead came to Duke, he told a story about one of his students bursting into tears when they found out he was leaving Yale and blurted out, "You're leaving us for someone younger and more athletic!"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    When Brodhead came to Duke, he told a story about one of his students bursting into tears when they found out he was leaving Yale and blurted out, "You're leaving us for someone younger and more athletic!"

LOL, yes, I have heard that story....and I believe he replied that he was just moving to a slightly different shade of blue.

https://twitter.com/MatthewGut21/sta...711000582?s=20

That was fast - Towns apparently down to Duke and Ohio St.

Again, let's look at the numbers.

Without any attrition Duke has 14 committed scholarships for next season.

And they're out there looking for grad-student transfers.

So, time to put away the fantasies about Carey and Jones and Stanley coming back. Clearly Duke is recruiting with the expectation that there will be significant attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Again, let's look at the numbers.

Without any attrition Duke has 14 committed scholarships for next season.

And they're out there looking for grad-student transfers.

So, time to put away the fantasies about Carey and Jones and Stanley coming back. Clearly Duke is recruiting with the expectation that there will be significant attrition.
    Should we be concerned about attrition of the incoming class?