Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keenan Worthington

This walk-on comes from a competitive HS in NJ where he had a solid HS career. He had some pretty nice games against some other D1 players that were are attending the likes of Gonzaga. Yes, he's a walk on...

My nephew attends Blairs Academy and said some of the basketball players who are still in contact with Keenan said that Keenan has gotten much stronger and added 15lbs. They also said that Keenan told them that he has grown tremendously as a player from what he learned from JRob and that Keenan has adopted the mindset of "always be ready". No one expects him to every really contribute in games but it is always good to have a big guy that is part of the scout team and a kid that is so committed to be a part of the Brotherhood.

I'm going to need some before and after pics to confirm the muscle gains. And make sure to get ones with the newspaper for the day so we can confirm dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    This walk-on comes from a competitive HS in NJ where he had a solid HS career. He had some pretty nice games against some other D1 players that were are attending the likes of Gonzaga. Yes, he's a walk on...

My nephew attends Blairs Academy and said some of the basketball players who are still in contact with Keenan said that Keenan has gotten much stronger and added 15lbs. They also said that Keenan told them that he has grown tremendously as a player from what he learned from JRob and that Keenan has adopted the mindset of "always be ready". No one expects him to every really contribute in games but it is always good to have a big guy that is part of the scout team and a kid that is so committed to be a part of the Brotherhood.
    He is either 6'8' or 6'9" and was listed at 215#. If he is 225 to 230 then he can play inside. We saw how JRob improved over his career and how Jack White contributed so it's not that surprising if Keenan can give us something next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    He is either 6'8' or 6'9" and was listed at 215#. If he is 225 to 230 then he can play inside. We saw how JRob improved over his career and how Jack White contributed so it's not that surprising if Keenan can give us something next season.
    It'd be shocking. Jack is a recruited scholarship player. JRob is a preferred walk-on who is the son of an NBA Hall-of-Famer and who had always flashed shotblocking and 3-pt shooting ability in his mop-up minutes. (Additionally, they only started contributing as upperclassmen but that's such a minor point in the context of everything else that separates them from Keenan).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It'd be shocking. Jack is a recruited scholarship player. JRob is a preferred walk-on who is the son of an NBA Hall-of-Famer and who had always flashed shotblocking and 3-pt shooting ability in his mop-up minutes. (Additionally, they only started contributing as upperclassmen but that's such a minor point in the context of everything else that separates them from Keenan).
    Also, Robinson is a fifth-year senior, and White was a true junior last year when he made his impact. Worthington would be a second-year freshman.

The fact that they redshirted him means they think he may be able to contribute in some meaningful way. When was the last time we redshirted a (non preferred/non grandson of K) walk-on?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    The fact that they redshirted him means they think he may be able to contribute in some meaningful way. When was the last time we redshirted a (non preferred/non grandson of K) walk-on?
    I'm not sure redshirting actually means that. It's a free option. Some kids may not want to buy into the option and say, "Coach, just play me in mop-up duty" and some kids may say, "You know, Coach, if you wouldn't mind and we have plenty of players, can I sit out this year and use my free option?"

Sometimes we don't have enough players and we need to get guys off the court. But this year we had, like, a million players so there was no need to worry about finding bodies. So Keenan, assuming he voiced an opinion, got his free option. He may still not exercise it and graduate in 4 years as a Redshirt Junior.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I'm not sure redshirting actually means that. It's a free option. Some kids may not want to buy into the option and say, "Coach, just play me in mop-up duty" and some kids may say, "You know, Coach, if you wouldn't mind and we have plenty of players, can I sit out this year and use my free option?"

Sometimes we don't have enough players and we need to get guys off the court. But this year we had, like, a million players so there was no need to worry about finding bodies. So Keenan, assuming he voiced an opinion, got his free option. He may still not exercise it and graduate in 4 years as a Redshirt Junior.

- Chillin
    I'm not sure "free option" for a 5th year is the right phrase for a kid paying his own way!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I'm not sure "free option" for a 5th year is the right phrase for a kid paying his own way!

-jk
    Ha! Fair enough.

But it's still free in the sense that, he doesn't have to exercise a fifth year unless it looks like it will pay dividends. In whatever way he wants to define dividends.

- Chillin

I thought Keenan was a preferred walk-on. What were the circumstances that allow a 5th year for Justin? What would keep Keenan from earning a scholarship at some time in his stay at Duke like Justin and Buckmire?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'm going to need some before and after pics to confirm the muscle gains. And make sure to get ones with the newspaper for the day so we can confirm dates.
    And cinder blocks. There must be cinder blocks.

Just so we are clear, Worthington did have offers from several smaller D1 programs and was rated as a 2-star prospect after being named 1st team All-State in New Jersey. So, he may be a little bit better than the typical walk-on. That said, it would seem to be highly unlikely that he will be anything more than a mop-up player next season. I suppose it is possible he will develop over several years in the program (unlikely, but not unprecedented) but the notion that he will be even a small role player next season is just hard to imagine.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Guess wait until the roster for next season is posted.

He is not a player that I would think gets a role outside of mop up minutes, but hey, who knows. The 2019-2020 JRob story has taught me no not count anything out.

If K has extra scholarships, I am assuming that he will give them out like he has always done to walk-on or 2.

The point of posting this was that maybe, just maybe, the kid can enjoy his time at Duke as a part of the team and contribute in practice to assist the team in winning games. Which a great thing to have on a team.

People think Worthington is going to be a rotation player as a redshirt freshman because Robinson became a rotation players as a fifth-year senior?

Gee, if only one could find a logical flaw in that reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    People think Worthington is going to be a rotation player as a redshirt freshman because Robinson became a rotation players as a fifth-year senior?

Gee, if only one could find a logical flaw in that reasoning.
    He has a terrific name, though.

Who said rotational player?

Lots of "rational" thoughts in assumptions.

But I guess a lot of columnist make a living out of reading tea leaves and reporting "news" …

Lots of "rational" thoughts in assumptions.

But I guess a lot of columnist make a living out of reading tea leaves and reporting "news" …
    I guess you mean, "rational" equals "rotational" minus "OT." I have no idea what that means.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I guess you mean, "rational" equals "rotational" minus "OT." I have no idea what that means.
    That he won't play in overtime?

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I thought Keenan was a preferred walk-on. What were the circumstances that allow a 5th year for Justin? What would keep Keenan from earning a scholarship at some time in his stay at Duke like Justin and Buckmire?
    Robinson was a fifth-year senior this year because they redshirted him one year. Same thing that Worthington will have if he decides to stay for all five years since they redshirted him this year.

Redshirts for walk-ons is I think pretty common.

" We saw how JRob improved over his career and how Jack White contributed so it's not that surprising if Keenan can give us something next season."