Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A UK site and insider is saying that a big group of players from the 2019-20 team are expected to go to the NBA, including all their guards and frontcourt players. This group includes guards Ashton Hagans, Tryese Maxey, and Immanuel Quickely and forwards Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery. This is on top of losing Johnnie Juzang to transfer and Khalil Whitney during the season. Grad-transfer Nate Sestina has also exhausted his college eligibility.

I'm not surprised that most of these guys are at least testing the NBA draft process. Why not? But the idea that all would leave UK for the NBA is a little more interesting.

If all of these guys do leave, the only returning players will be forward Keion Brooks, Jr., a reserve from this past year, and guard Dontaie Allen. The latter did not play this past year after a significant injury in high school. Brooks averaged just 4.5 pts/3.2 reb per game.

The Wildcats have a big recruiting class coming in with at least one top recruit at nearly all position except center. But the 6 freshmen + Allen and Brooks would be one of the smallest and thinnest rotations John Calipari has had in his time with UK. I expect that, if both Richards and Montgomery do both leave, the Wildcats will snag a grad transfer or 3.

https://www.nationofblue.com/source-...a-mass-exodus/
    There’s a grad transfer from Columbia they might want to check out. Can’t remember his name,

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A UK site and insider is saying that a big group of players from the 2019-20 team are expected to go to the NBA, including... EJ Montgomery.
    Has to be among the more perplexing careers for a top 15 recruit. Folks probably remember that Duke was after Monty pretty hard. He would have joined Zion, RJ, Cam, and Tre (and reclass Joey).

His two years in Lexington, he has averaged 3.8 and then 6.1 ppg. He's an ok rebounder but his usage rate on offense is just awful. They basically do not pass him the ball at all. I recall watching him at the McD All-Star practices when he was a senior and I thought his foul-line jumper was lethal and he had a great motor. I was stunned when he barely played last season but they at least had super-experienced Reid Travis sucking up big man minutes. His lack of production this year on a Kentucky team that was desperate for someone other than Richards to produce in the half court was mystifying.

And now he will venture off to the NBA... I mean the G-League... I mean Europe... or maybe Asia or South America. Whew...

-Jason "the dirty little secret about Cal is that he has one or two "sure-fire NBA OAD" busts every couple years... it happens a lot more with Cal than it does at Duke" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Has to be among the more perplexing careers for a top 15 recruit. Folks probably remember that Duke was after Monty pretty hard. He would have joined Zion, RJ, Cam, and Tre (and reclass Joey).

His two years in Lexington, he has averaged 3.8 and then 6.1 ppg. He's an ok rebounder but his usage rate on offense is just awful. They basically do not pass him the ball at all. I recall watching him at the McD All-Star practices when he was a senior and I thought his foul-line jumper was lethal and he had a great motor. I was stunned when he barely played last season but they at least had super-experienced Reid Travis sucking up big man minutes. His lack of production this year on a Kentucky team that was desperate for someone other than Richards to produce in the half court was mystifying.

And now he will venture off to the NBA... I mean the G-League... I mean Europe... or maybe Asia or South America. Whew...

-Jason "the dirty little secret about Cal is that he has one or two "sure-fire NBA OAD" busts every couple years... it happens a lot more with Cal than it does at Duke" Evans
    Eh, I am not sure I agree with this take. Is Montgomery’s path notably different than, say Chase Jeter? Marques Bolden? Ryan Kelly?

I think the bigger thing is that Calipari simply isn’t landing that sure-fire one-and-done talent anymore. Duke is. And, like Coach K, when he doesn’t land clear-cut top-10 recruits, they don’t always click right away. In the late 00s and early 10s, Cal was dominating the top-10 recruit landscape and turning out one and dones. And Coach K wasn’t producing many one-and-dones. Now? Duke is dominating the recruiting market and one and dones, and Cal is struggling to produce one and dones.

The dirty secret is probably just that the one-and-done ability is really about the player, not so much the coach.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I am not sure I agree with this take. Is Montgomery’s path notably different than, say Chase Jeter? Marques Bolden? Ryan Kelly?

I think the bigger thing is that Calipari simply isn’t landing that sure-fire one-and-done talent anymore. Duke is. And, like Coach K, when he doesn’t land clear-cut top-10 recruits, they don’t always click right away. In the late 00s and early 10s, Cal was dominating the top-10 recruit landscape and turning out one and dones. And Coach K wasn’t producing many one-and-dones. Now? Duke is dominating the recruiting market and one and dones, and Cal is struggling to produce one and dones.

The dirty secret is probably just that the one-and-done ability is really about the player, not so much the coach.
    I think there’s a difference, though, between “top recruit” and “OAD player”. Bolden is the lone example I think that fits here. Despite being 5*s I don’t think anyone expected either Kelly nor Jeter to be OADs.

I think Montgomery and Bolden are very similar situations. Behind that, we may be comparing apples and oranges no matter how we look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I think there’s a difference, though, between “top recruit” and “OAD player”. Bolden is the lone example I think that fits here. Despite being 5*s I don’t think anyone expected either Kelly nor Jeter to be OADs.

I think Montgomery and Bolden are very similar situations. Behind that, we may be comparing apples and oranges no matter how we look at things.
    I would agree that Jeter and Kelly were not likely one and done. My inclusion of them was more toward the idea that Montgomery’s numbers were that unusual for a top-15 recruit.

And honestly, I am not sure Montgomery was all that realistic a one-and-done candidate (probably somewhere between Bolden and Jeter).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And honestly, I am not sure Montgomery was all that realistic a one-and-done candidate (probably somewhere between Bolden and Jeter).
    EJ was the RSCI #10 recruit in the absolutely loaded 2018 class. Bolden was the #11 in the less heralded 2016 class. Plus, smooth, athletic PFs are almost always seen as more likely to be OAD than somewhat lumbering centers who are seen as quite raw offensively.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    EJ was the RSCI #10 recruit in the absolutely loaded 2018 class. Bolden was the #11 in the less heralded 2016 class. Plus, smooth, athletic PFs are almost always seen as more likely to be OAD than somewhat lumbering centers who are seen as quite raw offensively.
    The 2018 class wasn’t loaded. It was generally considered a weak class actually. We just really like it because we got three of the top prospects out of that class, and one was superhuman. But it wasn’t a very deep, or overall very good, recruiting class. The 2016 class was not quite as top-heavy but much deeper.

For reference, the top 9 and 14 of the top 19 guys in Bolden’s class went pro, and all went in the top 31. Only 9 of the top-25 from 2018 went one-and-done.
    Last edited by CDu; 04-02-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Bolden certainly appeared to have all the tools to be a OAD. Perhaps we had a bit of an Okafor hangover (who we were all expecting to have a solid to great NBA career at the time) but Bolden came in with elite measurables and seemed plenty athletic.

I wasn't as gung ho on landing Montgomery, mainly because I wanted Javin to have the opportunity to step up rather than starting five freshmen. Agree that he's been a disappointment but it's not a major indictment on him or on Kentucky, it just happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Bolden certainly appeared to have all the tools to be a OAD. Perhaps we had a bit of an Okafor hangover (who we were all expecting to have a solid to great NBA career at the time) but Bolden came in with elite measurables and seemed plenty athletic.

I wasn't as gung ho on landing Montgomery, mainly because I wanted Javin to have the opportunity to step up rather than starting five freshmen. Agree that he's been a disappointment but it's not a major indictment on him or on Kentucky, it just happens sometimes.
    I agree with this. And Nick Richards as little as 6 months ago was widely considered a failure at Kentucky.

The bigger issues for Cal and UK are the transfers of Whitney and Juzang. Whitney in particular was considered a can't-miss prospect and potential lottery pick. Then he left the program midway through the year and isn't even in the transfer portal right now. Juzang looked promising after reclassifying up to 2019 so he could get to UK a year early. He must have seen BJ Boston and Terrance Clarke eating up whatever opportunity he had next year. Those two gut the program's wing depth and experience.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Kentucky’s floor general is officially in the draft:

https://twitter.com/h23ash/status/12...947062273?s=21

Many of the “way too early” lists that had UK in the Top 5 were basing that on Hagans returning to school. This is the first “official” blow to the Wildcats of what is speculated to be many...

The Wildcat exodus continues, with Tyrese Maxey out the door.

I love that this is happening right after Lunardi released a "way too early" Bracketology with Kentucky as a No. 1 seed. If things continue as has been speculated and Quickley, Richards, and perhaps even Montgomery leave, UK will be young and thin and probably trying to fill out their team with the scraps of the grad-transfer market.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Jordan Nwora has also made it official that he's gone.

As I had mentioned in another thread, this means that most guys projected to be likely first round picks in this year's draft (whenever it happens) have now declared, with the exception of Vernon, Precious Achiuwa, and Cole Anthony (he of "I'm announcing I'm not announcing" fame). This could mean something for our guys on the fence. Or it could mean nothing, and the Duke guys are just waiting for their turn in the spotlight. Who knows. Regardless, Nwora leaving is good news for our prospects in the ACC next season, especially coupled with FSU losing two stars early as well.

Jordan Nwora has also made it official that he's gone.

As I had mentioned in another thread, this means that most guys projected to be likely first round picks in this year's draft (whenever it happens) have now declared, with the exception of Vernon, Precious Achiuwa, and Cole Anthony (he of "I'm announcing I'm not announcing" fame). This could mean something for our guys on the fence. Or it could mean nothing, and the Duke guys are just waiting for their turn in the spotlight. Who knows. Regardless, Nwora leaving is good news for our prospects in the ACC next season, especially coupled with FSU losing two stars early as well.
    It also helps the Cheats prospects. Garrison announced this weekend he is staying (as expected) and with Bacot and slew of big men coming in - they could be preseason 1st in ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    It also helps the Cheats prospects. Garrison announced this weekend he is staying (as expected) and with Bacot and slew of big men coming in - they could be preseason 1st in ACC.
    I've got a sneaky suspicion that people will be a little gun-shy about making that type of prediction after how their season went this year... but I would agree that, with the losses faced by FSU and Louisville, it looks like the top-tier of the ACC will be us, Virginia and UNC next year, barring some further unusual developments.

Worst to first?

Actually, considering the way ol' roy grinds up his player's NBA draft stock: worst to wurst to first?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Worst to first?

Actually, considering the way ol' roy grinds up his player's NBA draft stock: worst to wurst to first?
    That’s great. He’s also ground the coal out of the Anthony.

One of the few remaining consensus first rounders yet to declare has now done so, as Nico Mannion heads to the draft.

The biggest names yet to make anything official are Cole Anthony, Jaden McDaniels, Immanuel Quickley, and of course our guy Vernon. No major surprises returning to school so far means good things for us, and potentially good things in terms of the potential for Cassius to return (i.e. the path to him being a first round pick hasn't been made any easier).

One of the few remaining consensus first rounders yet to declare has now done so, as Nico Mannion heads to the draft.

The biggest names yet to make anything official are Cole Anthony, Jaden McDaniels, Immanuel Quickley, and of course our guy Vernon. No major surprises returning to school so far means good things for us, and potentially good things in terms of the potential for Cassius to return (i.e. the path to him being a first round pick hasn't been made any easier).
    Your post a few minutes too early😡.

Your post a few minutes too early😡.
    Yup, I was just about to come here and accept responsibility for jinxing things

Worth mentioning that some other major decisions were announced in the past hours, even though we'll be talking about Cassius: https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...890964992?s=20

Jalen Smith and Kofi Cockburn are the names that jump out to me. Both would've been amongst the top players in the B1G had they chosen to return for another year. Smith's decision was more expected as a sophomore, Cockburn's is a bit of a surprise since he is very raw and could've seen his stock rise rapidly in Year 2. That said, as an international player sometimes there is pressure to get your pro career started sooner rather than later.

Assuming both of these are firm decisions, Maryland and Illinois both go from teams that could've been projected towards the top of the B1G to more average teams in that conference.

Cockburn's is a bit of a surprise since he is very raw and could've seen his stock rise rapidly. Assuming both of these are firm decisions...

I'm sorry, but I still have the mind of a twelve year old boy and giggled at this post.