Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Former Dukie Jordan Tucker is going to see if he will get drafted.

https://twitter.com/1jtucker/status/...604508674?s=20
    Wow. Twitter comments are mean. Reminds me why I don't go there often.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Former Dukie Jordan Tucker is going to see if he will get drafted.

https://twitter.com/1jtucker/status/...604508674?s=20
    I think it is a more a matter of talking to NBA folks about what they see from him and what he would need to do to make the step to the next level. He can't really expect that his 8.9 ppg average including 35% on threes really has him as a legit NBA prospect at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think it is a more a matter of talking to NBA folks about what they see from him and what he would need to do to make the step to the next level. He can't really expect that his 8.9 ppg average including 35% on threes really has him as a legit NBA prospect at this point.
    Right, because he's not very athletic, so it's not like he's a big contributor on defense or the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    "Making an announcement at this time would be in poor taste, therefore I am announcing that I will not make an announcement."
    Isn't that still an announcement? This gives both sides plenty of time to negotiate a contract extension.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    There's been recent speculation amongst Michigan insiders that Isaiah Livers and Franz Wagner will test the water, although neither is expected to stay in... although obviously anything can happen. Neither is anywhere near most projected draft boards, but both have the potential to shoot up if they have the 2020-21 seasons many expect... they're both long, athletic wings who can shoot and defend, which are in high demand.

Assuming they both return (as expected), with Michigan's incoming recruiting class the Wolverines should be a Top 10-15 team to start the year. If one leaves, they're still a Top 25 team assuming that 5* SG Josh Christopher commits to the Wolverines (which is widely expected). If both leave, Michigan would be relying very heavily on freshmen across the board.
    For those who are interested, an interesting development on this front. Michigan is in a scholarship crunch, especially if Christopher commits... and one of the primary transfer candidates, Adrien Nunez (a Beilein recruited sharpshooter who hasn’t been able to stick on the floor, mostly because his shooting hasn’t lived up to his reputation and he doesn’t offer much else) has apparently said he won’t be transferring.

https://twitter.com/bfquinn/status/1243345248530595845?s=21

There are still a couple potential transfer options, with 4* freshman Cole Bajema (who showed potential in garbage time but is rail thin, to the point he just couldn’t be used in B1G play) and Colin Castleton (a big who is more in the Beilein than Howard mold, who showed flashes but got beat out by Austin Davis as the backup C this year) being the prime candidates.

Why does this matter? Reading the tea leaves, if none of these guys transfer, that means that there either won’t be room for Christopher, or that an unexpected NBA decision could be incoming. Either would likely dampen the Wolverines’ outlook. That said, Howard did allow Austin Davis to return as a 5th year senior when he didn’t have to, which sent the signal that he knew he’d have the scholarship available...

Anyways, just an interesting storyline for a team that could be Top 10 competition for us next year and potentially a B1G-ACC challenge option.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Isn't that still an announcement? ....
    Oh course it is. That's the irony.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

For those who are interested, an interesting development on this front. Michigan is in a scholarship crunch, especially if Christopher commits... and one of the primary transfer candidates, Adrien Nunez (a Beilein recruited sharpshooter who hasn’t been able to stick on the floor, mostly because his shooting hasn’t lived up to his reputation and he doesn’t offer much else) has apparently said he won’t be transferring.

https://twitter.com/bfquinn/status/1...530595845?s=21

There are still a couple potential transfer options, with 4* freshman Cole Bajema (who showed potential in garbage time but is rail thin, to the point he just couldn’t be used in B1G play) and Colin Castleton (a big who is more in the Beilein than Howard mold, who showed flashes but got beat out by Austin Davis as the backup C this year) being the prime candidates.

Why does this matter? Reading the tea leaves, if none of these guys transfer, that means that there either won’t be room for Christopher, or that an unexpected NBA decision could be incoming. Either would likely dampen the Wolverines’ outlook. That said, Howard did allow Austin Davis to return as a 5th year senior when he didn’t have to, which sent the signal that he knew he’d have the scholarship available...

Anyways, just an interesting storyline for a team that could be Top 10 competition for us next year and potentially a B1G-ACC challenge option.
    If I were one of those fringe players, I'd be nervous if someone told me that Coach Harbaugh wanted to speak with me ...

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If I were one of those fringe players, I'd be nervous if someone told me that Coach Harbaugh wanted to speak with me ...
    You mean coach Howard? Then yes, I'd agree, haha.

To be quite honest, as a guy who follows the Wolverines I thought Nunez was the clear choice to transfer as there seems to be no path forward for playing time for him (especially since he "got a shot" this year and didn't do anything with it). There were times this year where people thought Bajema might redshirt, either for his future at Michigan or for transfer purposes... but then he suddenly started getting garbage time minutes again towards the end of the year after not during the middle of the year. So my guess is that Castleton is the odd man out, especially since there's a clear line between Davis' return and a lack of potential playing time as a big for him. I personally like Castleton and think he has potential, so that would be disappointing if it comes to pass.

That said, all of this is assuming Christopher commits... if he doesn't, the scholarship crunch is solved by having Howard's son, who's an incoming 3 star recruit, be a preferred walk-on, an option that is clearly on the table. Michigan fans are operating under the assumption that is a done deal based on all available reporting, but he hasn't signed on the dotted line yet. So there's lots of developments for Michigan that could happen over the past month that could dictate whether next year's squad is a Final Four contender, or just another Top 25 team.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Harbaugh is the one notorious for clearing room on his roster for new players. I just thought Coach Howard could rely on Harbaugh's extensive experience.

Harbaugh is the one notorious for clearing room on his roster for new players. I just thought Coach Howard could rely on Harbaugh's extensive experience.
    Really? I honestly can’t think of a time while he’s been at Michigan where that’s happened, but that also could be colored by the media I’m following (although to be fair, certain local Detroit reporters HATE Harbaugh, and would’ve had a field day reporting on that if it were happening).

Don’t want to get off-base here but I’m legitimately curious what you’re referring to here.

Really? I honestly can’t think of a time while he’s been at Michigan where that’s happened, but that also could be colored by the media I’m following (although to be fair, certain local Detroit reporters HATE Harbaugh, and would’ve had a field day reporting on that if it were happening).

Don’t want to get off-base here but I’m legitimately curious what you’re referring to here.
    He was notorious for running off players when he first got there, clearing space for players that had verbally committed to other schools. Nothing against the rules, but definitely not savory.

It is like all of the other stuff he does to bend the rules and tweak other coaches. Kind of like Belichick without the championships.

He was notorious for running off players when he first got there, clearing space for players that had verbally committed to other schools. Nothing against the rules, but definitely not savory.

It is like all of the other stuff he does to bend the rules and tweak other coaches. Kind of like Belichick without the championships.
    Touché on that last line sir!

To be quite honest, as a guy who follows the Wolverines I thought Nunez was the clear choice to transfer as there seems to be no path forward for playing time for him (especially since he "got a shot" this year and didn't do anything with it). There were times this year where people thought Bajema might redshirt, either for his future at Michigan or for transfer purposes... but then he suddenly started getting garbage time minutes again towards the end of the year after not during the middle of the year. So my guess is that Castleton is the odd man out, especially since there's a clear line between Davis' return and a lack of potential playing time as a big for him. I personally like Castleton and think he has potential, so that would be disappointing if it comes to pass.

That said, all of this is assuming Christopher commits... if he doesn't, the scholarship crunch is solved by having Howard's son, who's an incoming 3 star recruit, be a preferred walk-on, an option that is clearly on the table. Michigan fans are operating under the assumption that is a done deal based on all available reporting, but he hasn't signed on the dotted line yet. So there's lots of developments for Michigan that could happen over the past month that could dictate whether next year's squad is a Final Four contender, or just another Top 25 team.
    New developments on the Michigan front: Livers is declaring but leaving options open.

https://twitter.com/umichbball/statu...717550594?s=21

Livers hasn’t been projected in any mock drafts I’ve seen, but he also has the skills to be a prototypical NBA 3-and-D guy, especially at his size. The issue I foresee is that the major concern for him has to be his health given all the injuries he fought through this past season, and if NBA teams can’t evaluate him because of COVID it might make it hard for him to get a real read on where he’d be drafted. I’d put it at 60/40 he returns for his senior season based on my read of the situation.

If Livers leaves, Michigan could still field a starting lineup next year with 3 top freshman (Hunter Dickinson, Isaiah Todd, and Josh Christopher) along with major returnees Eli Brooks and Franz Wagner, not to mention a full complement of experienced players off the bench. That would be a top 10 team if it’s name was Duke or UNC or MSU... but obviously Juwan Howard needs to prove he can coach the guys he recruits before he gets that benefit of the doubt. Should be an interesting situation to to watch.

We've fallen behind in this thread on keeping track of significant draft entry.

Zeke Nnaji and Nicon Manion of Arizona have both declared and will not be coming back. Manion is a likley lottery pick while Nnaji will be a late first or early second kinda guy.

Bobby Hurley is losing a good one as junior guard Remy Martin has declared. He hasn't hired an agent and could technically pull out, but it sure sounds like he is in it for good. 19ppg and 4apg last season. He would have been front-runner for PAC 12 POY if he had come back.

We also missed several ACC declarations:

NC State's DJ Funderburk and Devon Daniels are both entering the draft to see what their stock is like. I don't think either guy has much of a chance to be drafted and I suspect they will both eventually pull out. The whole evaluation process is going to be frought with problems this year making it much harder for an under-the-radar guy to get noticed.

Syracuse's Elijah Hughes is in. That's a big loss for the Orange. Hughes is not really on anyone's radar for the first round but he may just want to move on to the next phase of his life. He transferred from East Carolina after his freshman year so he has already been in school for four years. He has another year of eligibility, but it is not hugely surprising that he is ready to become a pro.

-Jason "there will be more... many more" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quick question: Is hiring an agent relevant any more? I thought they did away with that trip hazard.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Quick question: Is hiring an agent relevant any more? I thought they did away with that trip hazard.

-jk
    Still relevant.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...85452794437634

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Also, whatever happened to that notion that top players as identified by USA basketball could hire agents while in college who were certified by the NCAA? Or the NBA’s offer to pay guys $150k to play in the G league rather than go to college?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also, whatever happened to that notion that top players as identified by USA basketball could hire agents while in college who were certified by the NCAA? Or the NBA’s offer to pay guys $150k to play in the G league rather than go to college?
    The G League plan never went anywhere - I feel like there were some DBR pie best transacted on that policy. I think the option of going abroad was determined to be a better option than going straight to the G League.

Former Duke recruit Isaiah Stewart has declared.

Exodus from Lexington?

A UK site and insider is saying that a big group of players from the 2019-20 team are expected to go to the NBA, including all their guards and frontcourt players. This group includes guards Ashton Hagans, Tryese Maxey, and Immanuel Quickely and forwards Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery. This is on top of losing Johnnie Juzang to transfer and Khalil Whitney during the season. Grad-transfer Nate Sestina has also exhausted his college eligibility.

I'm not surprised that most of these guys are at least testing the NBA draft process. Why not? But the idea that all would leave UK for the NBA is a little more interesting.

If all of these guys do leave, the only returning players will be forward Keion Brooks, Jr., a reserve from this past year, and guard Dontaie Allen. The latter did not play this past year after a significant injury in high school. Brooks averaged just 4.5 pts/3.2 reb per game.

The Wildcats have a big recruiting class coming in with at least one top recruit at nearly all position except center. But the 6 freshmen + Allen and Brooks would be one of the smallest and thinnest rotations John Calipari has had in his time with UK. I expect that, if both Richards and Montgomery do both leave, the Wildcats will snag a grad transfer or 3.

https://www.nationofblue.com/source-...a-mass-exodus/