Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Other teams' 2020 draft decisions

In another sad indication of where we are, its about time that we start this thread

Two important decisions appear to have been made in the past few days. Perhaps most consequentially, Obi Toppin is expected to go pro. This shouldn't be a big surprise considering he could be a Top-3 pick, but its sad that Dayton will never get to see what a Toppin led team could do in the NCAA Tourney.

Of more interest to Duke fans is that Armando Bacot is reportedly returning for his sophomore year. Again, not hugely surprising considering his struggles as a freshman (thanks Coach Roy!), but as we've all learned by now freshman struggles don't necessarily translate into staying in college when you were a 5* recruit. Next year's UNC frontcourt will be DEEP, but it'll be interesting to see how Ol' Roy manages those minutes. At minimum he seems stuck playing a traditional "two-big" lineup, which we've seen in recent years can be exploited on the defensive end. Keeping that team off the offensive glass, though, is going to be a major challenge.

If/when more news on this front arrives, let's put it here!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to put players from other teams that enter the transfer portal, but Landers Nolley from Va Tech has entered the transfer portal. He was the best player on that team, made the ACC All-Freshman team, and was honorable mention on the All-ACC team. He was a holdover from Buzz Williams but never seemed to be a good fit in Mike Young’s system. He started the year very strong, but his productivity declined throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In another sad indication of where we are, its about time that we start this thread

Two important decisions appear to have been made in the past few days. Perhaps most consequentially, Obi Toppin is expected to go pro. This shouldn't be a big surprise considering he could be a Top-3 pick, but its sad that Dayton will never get to see what a Toppin led team could do in the NCAA Tourney.

Of more interest to Duke fans is that Armando Bacot is reportedly returning for his sophomore year. Again, not hugely surprising considering his struggles as a freshman (thanks Coach Roy!), but as we've all learned by now freshman struggles don't necessarily translate into staying in college when you were a 5* recruit. Next year's UNC frontcourt will be DEEP, but it'll be interesting to see how Ol' Roy manages those minutes. At minimum he seems stuck playing a traditional "two-big" lineup, which we've seen in recent years can be exploited on the defensive end. Keeping that team off the offensive glass, though, is going to be a major challenge.

If/when more news on this front arrives, let's put it here!
    I would have loved to have had a secondary freshman big man that struggled to get 11 double doubles this year. I don't think that was achieved by Hurt, who not only was rated higher than Bacot coming in, but didn't play for Roy. I wish we would have not fallen in love with Isiah Stewart and maybe he would have had those 11 doublers doubles at Duke and coming back to pair with Mark Williams next year
    And yes, unc's front court is loaded, especially if pre-season first team candidate Garrison Brooks returns, with a pass first point guard.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    A couple of announcements in the “no surprise” category came last night: projected lottery picks Anthony Edwards (Georgia) and Isaac Okoro (Auburn) are at minimum testing the waters.

Things may be starting to pick up in this department. FSU is losing Devin Vassel: https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/sta...744323081?s=21

Things may be starting to pick up in this department. FSU is losing Devin Vassel: https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/sta...744323081?s=21
    Big deal for FSU, though not surprising. He was an absolute stud for them this year. I thought he was a better ACC POY contender than Jordan Nwora. FSU returns a lot but missing Vassel and senior Trent Forrest (he had been there since the Bush administration, I think) will hurt a lot. Those two were the heart and soul of the best FSU team in a generation.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Big deal for FSU, though not surprising. He was an absolute stud for them this year. I thought he was a better ACC POY contender than Jordan Nwora. FSU returns a lot but missing Vassel and senior Trent Forrest (he had been there since the Bush administration, I think) will hurt a lot. Those two were the heart and soul of the best FSU team in a generation.
    While Vassell leaving hurts, they do still bring in Scottie Barnes (top-5 recruit). I think the bigger concern is that they lose Forrest. They don't currently have a PG at the moment, and Scottie Barnes is the only shot creator they appear to have next year.

I wouldn't be shocked if Patrick Williams goes pro too. If so, they take a giant step back. Because while they return a ton of guys (only 2 seniors), I think the guys that mattered were Forrest, Vassell, and (to a lesser extent) Williams.

Didn't Patrick enter the transfer portal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Not that I have seen.

A quick google search reveals ZERO reporting, let alone speculation,a bout Patrick Williams transferring. Let that be the end of that.

Another one: Minnesota’s Oturu to the draft. Good news for the rest of the Big Ten.

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/stat...512616961?s=21

Another expected decision, as Iowa State's Tyrese Halliburton declares for the draft. He's a projected lottery pick, although I certainly didn't see it when the Cyclones played Michigan early in the season, but he certainly has great size for a PG.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...aded-nba-draft

Has anyone given any thought to how the NBA salary cap will be affected by the shutdown? Each year's cap is determined by the previous season's revenue. Since the league stands to lose a buttload of money this season, it seems likely that the salary caps will be shrinking drastically. I'm not sure if there's any sort of cap on how much it can change from year to year, but if teams learn in July that their caps are going down by $15-20M (numbers I just pulled out of the air) then that would have a drastic impact on roster construction. Older veterans would be getting dumped like crazy, and draft picks who represent usable players at low salaries would all of a sudden become incredibly valuable. I could see this leading to a plethora of second round and undrafted players picking up contracts. Which could entice players who are not projected to be drafted to still go ahead and leave.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Has anyone given any thought to how the NBA salary cap will be affected by the shutdown? Each year's cap is determined by the previous season's revenue. Since the league stands to lose a buttload of money this season, it seems likely that the salary caps will be shrinking drastically. I'm not sure if there's any sort of cap on how much it can change from year to year, but if teams learn in July that their caps are going down by $15-20M (numbers I just pulled out of the air) then that would have a drastic impact on roster construction. Older veterans would be getting dumped like crazy, and draft picks who represent usable players at low salaries would all of a sudden become incredibly valuable. I could see this leading to a plethora of second round and undrafted players picking up contracts. Which could entice players who are not projected to be drafted to still go ahead and leave.
    Here's an article analyzing this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...lary-cap-drop/

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    In the WaPo article on the salary cap:
    John Hollinger, a writer for the Athletic and a former Memphis Grizzlies executive, estimated that those losses [coronavirus plus China ban on NBA] could translate to a salary cap decline of $8 million next year, easily the largest ever, even if Silver can salvage the playoffs. A Bleacher Report estimate said the salary cap hit could reach $15 million if the season is lost.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not that I have seen.
    A quick google search reveals ZERO reporting, let alone speculation,a bout Patrick Williams transferring. Let that be the end of that.
    As of today, Patrick isn't currently listed in the transfer portal.

CBS Sports: Michigan State's Xavier Tillman announces he will test draft waters

Underclassmen have the opportunity to test the draft process while retaining their eligibility and have until June 15 to either stay in the draft or withdraw and return to school.
    You can read Tillman's tweet here.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Beat me to it! I’d argue this is the first somewhat unexpected decision thus far. If Tillman leaves, MSU night not be a Top 25 team to start the year next season, unless they get some help on the grad transfer market.

Please let Tillman leave.

Beat me to it! I’d argue this is the first somewhat unexpected decision thus far. If Tillman leaves, MSU night not be a Top 25 team to start the year next season, unless they get some help on the grad transfer market.

Please let Tillman leave.
    And our first game in November (hopefully) will be against MSU. Chalk it up now?

Cole Anthony announces he will not make an announcement. ESPN articles has a good LOL line in it.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...t-announcement

The five-star recruit averaged 18.5 points and four assists despite missing a significant chunk of the season following knee surgery. But his production couldn't save the Tar Heels from their first losing season under Roy Williams. The team finished 14-19 and likely would have ended the year without a postseason invitation.
    Ya think...?