Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Pregame / In game Midwest 1st round vs Northeastern Louisiana

So the NCAAs starts tomorrow so time for a little education about Duke's first opponent.

Northeastern Louisiana University (NLU) opened in 1931 as Ouachita Parish Junior College. Three years later it became the Northeast Center of Louisiana State University. Its name changed again in 1949, to Northeast Junior College of Louisiana State University. A year later, it became an autonomous four-year institution as Northeast Louisiana State College. In 1969, it granted doctoral degrees for the first time and was elevated to university status as Northeast Louisiana University (NLU). [They did not change their name to ULM until 1999, had to add this despite the general purpose of the thread. This is also on Wikipedia which is a futuristic concept I know nothing about.]

As Jim Valvano once said be careful of those “directional schools” in the NCAAs.

The Warhawks are Southland conference champions making their 4th appearance in the NCAAs. They are coached by Mike Vining who has been at NLU since 1981. Here is the Warhawks roster…

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...nroe/1991.html

Their top scorers are a trio of small forwards and by small I mean 6’4” or smaller. Their leader is 5’7” senior point guard Casey Jones, who is “Drivin that train”….

They are 25-8 with their best wins coming against Stephen F. Austin from Nacogdoches, TX [sorry I lost a gentlemen’s wager where I had to learn to spell Nacogdoches and my friend would have had to learn how to spell Krzyzewski].

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So the NCAAs starts tomorrow so time for a little education about Duke's first opponent.

Northeastern Louisiana University (NLU) opened in 1931 as Ouachita Parish Junior College. Three years later it became the Northeast Center of Louisiana State University. Its name changed again in 1949, to Northeast Junior College of Louisiana State University. A year later, it became an autonomous four-year institution as Northeast Louisiana State College. In 1969, it granted doctoral degrees for the first time and was elevated to university status as Northeast Louisiana University (NLU). [They did not change their name to ULM until 1999, had to add this despite the general purpose of the thread. This is also on Wikipedia which is a futuristic concept I know nothing about.]

As Jim Valvano once said be careful of those “directional schools” in the NCAAs.

The Warhawks are Southland conference champions making their 4th appearance in the NCAAs. They are coached by Mike Vining who has been at NLU since 1981. Here is the Warhawks roster…

Their top scorers are a trio of small forwards and by small I mean 6’4” or smaller. Their leader is 5’7” senior point guard Casey Jones, who is “Drivin that train”….

They are 25-8 with their best wins coming against Stephen F. Austin from Nacogdoches, TX [sorry I lost a gentlemen’s wager where I had to learn to spell Nacogdoches and my friend would have had to learn how to spell Krzyzewski].
    When is tipoff - I unexpectedly find myself not working, but I don't see the game listed in my TV Guide!

Great writeup. Looks like we should be able to dominate on the boards and score at will inside--ha, how often have we been able to say that with our small lineup!

I'm predicting double digit assists for Bobby as Christian and Grant get easy looks at the basket. And with our huge advantages in size/length on the perimeter, this may finally be a game where we can force some turnovers to generate easy buckets. Would be nice to win the turnover battle one of these days (assuming Bobby doesn't sail every pass out of bounds).

Hoping we can jump on them early--the last thing you want to do is let an upstart have some hope by letting them hang around until the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Great writeup. Looks like we should be able to dominate on the boards and score at will inside--ha, how often have we been able to say that with our small lineup!

I'm predicting double digit assists for Bobby as Christian and Grant get easy looks at the basket. And with our huge advantages in size/length on the perimeter, this may finally be a game where we can force some turnovers to generate easy buckets. Would be nice to win the turnover battle one of these days (assuming Bobby doesn't sail every pass out of bounds).

Hoping we can jump on them early--the last thing you want to do is let an upstart have some hope by letting them hang around until the second half.
    Indeed, as Mississippi Valley State says hello. If only Johnny Dawkins were on staff to emphasize the point. Not sure K would ever bring him on board, though.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    When is tipoff - I unexpectedly find myself not working, but I don't see the game listed in my TV Guide!
    Tip-off is at 7:00pm EST but may be "tape" delayed if folks want me to push it back.

Tip-off is at 7:00pm EST but may be "tape" delayed if folks want me to push it back.
    I hate the CBS coverage. I wish they just broadcast all the games on different channels. And God I hope we don't get Billy Packer.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I hate the CBS coverage. I wish they just broadcast all the games on different channels. And God I hope we don't get Billy Packer.
    Oh that would be a hot mess. What four channels? MTV? NBC?

If they put all the games on, that would take up half my TV dial.

Is Stephen F Austin any good? Never heard of them.

Packer hates Duke- just crazy. I long for the time that a Duke grad is the dominant voice of college basketball and we can get some balance back.

Not long until this Big Dance gets under way. I hope Laettner has been practicing his free throws. Ever since he botched that 1-and-1 against Arizona, I’m always nervous when he goes to the line under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Not long until this Big Dance gets under way. I hope Laettner has been practicing his free throws. Ever since he botched that 1-and-1 against Arizona, I’m always nervous when he goes to the line under pressure.
    An 80% shooter - I am more worried about his slow starts. The guy has been pretty clutch at the end of games.

4 year old me stopping in to say GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwayne17 View Post
    4 year old me stopping in to say GO DUKE!!!
    I hope you live on the west coast- a bit past your bedtime.

Who actually gets full game live coverage on this one?

Just North Carolina markets and Monroe, Louisiana?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    An 80% shooter - I am more worried about his slow starts. The guy has been pretty clutch at the end of games.
    He really shoots it well from 3 for a big guy too. I almost wish he'd shoot more of them.

Hopefully Christian and Coach K aren't chockers like the NBA's Michael Jordan, who never wins in the playoffs. I'm not sure an NBA scoring leader (i.e. ball hog) like Jordan will ever win a championship in the NBA. Maybe Jordan should take a peek at how Magic plays the game and learn from Mr. 5 Rings. Speaking of Magic, I haven't seen a player age so gracefully as him, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will stop him from playing at a high-level for many, many more years.

Sorry for the momentary NBA talk. Back to the Dance.

And speaking of Dance, I can't get this song on the radio out of my head. "Just Dance" by the C&C Music Factory. "Everybody dance now!" DUN - DUN - dundun - DUN - DUN - dundun.

Do you guys think maybe the NCAA will play "Just Dance" for the post-tournament video (after Duke wins the title ;-). "One Shining Moment" has had a nice 4-year-run, but I'm guessing CBS is looking to change it up to a more modern sound like the C&C Music Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hopefully Christian and Coach K aren't chockers like the NBA's Michael Jordan, who never wins in the playoffs. I'm not sure an NBA scoring leader (i.e. ball hog) like Jordan will ever win a championship in the NBA. Maybe Jordan should take a peek at how Magic plays the game and learn from Mr. 5 Rings. Speaking of Magic, I haven't seen a player age so gracefully as him, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will stop him from playing at a high-level for many, many more years.

Sorry for the momentary NBA talk. Back to the Dance.

And speaking of Dance, I can't get this song on the radio out of my head. "Just Dance" by the C&C Music Factory. "Everybody dance now!" DUN - DUN - dundun - DUN - DUN - dundun.

Do you guys think maybe the NCAA will play "Just Dance" for the post-tournament video (after Duke wins the title ;-). "One Shining Moment" has had a nice 4-year-run, but I'm guessing CBS is looking to change it up to a more modern sound like the C&C Music Factory.
    The Bulls are playing well- Pippen is a difference maker- but Detroit has experience and Bulls will need to get past them to even make the Finals. I have always liked Gerald Henderson since he played in Boston - really scrappy. He has helped while Thomas was out with the wrist. They had a feature on him with his 4 year old kid who has the same name. Looks just like him.

Full disclosure, I'm super excited for the games to start today, but I am a little concerned about one thing...

Who are all you lovely people? I was just jotting down some of my thoughts on this Duke season into my Word Perfect word processing program on my 486 computer (dang that thing is fast!) and started seeing replies on my Amber CRT monitor (last monitor I will ever buy, so easy on your eyes). I didn't tell my wife, because I don't want a two week vacation from work, but it was like all these different voices and perspectives, coming to my screen from a series of tubes.

Anyway, enough mental exercise for the day. Question to the voices in my head, would you rather UNC lose in the first round, or lose to Duke in the championship game? It's all hypothetical, since we know UNLV is going all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The Bulls are playing well- Pippen is a difference maker- but Detroit has experience and Bulls will need to get past them to even make the Finals. I have always liked Gerald Henderson since he played in Boston - really scrappy. He has helped while Thomas was out with the wrist. They had a feature on him with his 4 year old kid who has the same name. Looks just like him.
    Yeah, as back-to-back champs, the Pistons are king until someone knocks them off. Will probably be Magic’s Lakers that do it. And I’m hearing rumblings that, after the bronze medal performance in Seoul, they could consider letting NBA players on the Olympic team. That would be really weird. But, if they do that, as the leader of the two-time champs, Isaiah Thomas would have to be at the top of the list of guys to make the team, right?

Yeah, as back-to-back champs, the Pistons are king until someone knocks them off. Will probably be Magic’s Lakers that do it. And I’m hearing rumblings that, after the bronze medal performance in Seoul, they could consider letting NBA players on the Olympic team. That would be really weird. But, if they do that, as the leader of the two-time champs, Isaiah Thomas would have to be at the top of the list of guys to make the team, right?
    Ooh, fun game. Who would you put in on your NBA "Fantasy Team" of players to go to the Olympics?