Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

The 1991 Road to Final Four - come along for a retrotour!

Welcome to the 1991 NCAA Tournament Selection Show!!!

Make sure you have your brackets and pencils ready as we reveal the 64 teams that are on the road to the Final Four. (For our younger DBR members…yes we had to record the show and write down the teams in the bracket.)

Without further ado let’s reveal the top four seeds

#1 West – UNLV

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...egas/1991.html

#1 Southeast - Arkansas

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...nsas/1991.html

#1 Midwest - Ohio State

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...tate/1991.html

#1 East - UNC

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...lina/1991.html

Greg, I heard that UNC got some extra practice time in this season because all of their independent study classes ended in January. That could make them a tough out.

That’s OK Jim, UNLV has Cleveland State take all of their classes so they are also well rested.

But Clark’s OSU team is also ready to go after a disappointing 7-4-1 football season including a loss at Michigan and a tie at Indiana.

Arkansas is also pretty good but perhaps a few years away from an NCAA championship.

OK on to the brackets.
    West
    UNLV vs Montana
    Georgetown vs Vanderbilt
    Michigan State vs Wisconsin Green Bay
    Utah vs South Alabama
    New Mexico State vs Creighton
    Seton Hall vs Pepperdine
    Virginia vs BYU
    Arizona vs St. Francis

I’d pay attention to that Wisc-Greenbay team. The coach’s son is a junior guard and a very heady player. I imagine he would make a great coach someday.

Midwest

Ohio State vs Towson State
    Georgia Tech vs DePaul
    Texas vs St. Peter’s
    St. John’s vs N. Illinois
    LSU vs Connecticut
    Nebraska vs Xavier
    Iowa vs E. Tennessee State
    Duke vs NE Louisiana (UL-Monroe)

Several Big East teams in this region. That is an amazingly strong conference that should be around for many decades in the future.

Southeast

Arkansas vs Georgia State
    Arizona State vs Rutgers
    Wake Forest vs Louisiana Tech
    Alabama vs Murray State
    Pittsburgh vs Georgia
    Kansas vs New Orleans
    Florida State vs USC
    Indiana vs Coastal Carolina

Kansas is coached by Roy Williams who has no intention of leaving Kansas to go back to his alma mater. He thinks that Matt Doherty would be a great fit at unc after Dean Smith retires.

East

UNC vs Northeastern
    Princeton vs Villanova
    Mississippi State vs Eastern Michigan
    UCLA vs Penn State
    NC State vs S. Mississippi
    Oklahoma State vs New Mexico
    Purdue vs Temple
    Syracuse vs Richmond

Dickie V. what are your first impressions of the bracket…..
    It’s a travesty that Kentucky is not in the tournament. Give me a break they take 12 teams from the Big 10 which would never have 12 teams in it ever…and they leave out my Italian brother Rick Pitino. The guy is awesome baby. He would never get in trouble with the NCAA. Of course Kentucky is serving a two year post-season ban for recruiting violations. If Rick was coaching somewhere else, like Iona, they would be my Cinderella pick….Bring on the NCAAs baby……

1991 will always be the most special to me. All the years of going to the Final Four and not finishing the deal & quite honestly wondering if it would ever happen. One cool thing is I got to see that team play their last game in Cameron that year. It was a fluke thing where a friend who usually used a friend's tickets could not go. He called me last minute and a friend & I took off for Durham. I swear I think those tickets were $15. My how times have changed.

Duke is king

The official CBS Video: "Duke is King"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkqxfE8Rf8

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    When I started this thread I never imagined it would progress to a discussion of screaming at swans...but this is DBR.

What I had in mind was a 3 week discussion of the 1991 NCAA tournament.

From my end I will start with a new thread tomorrow (what was supposed to be selection Sunday) that is entitled "1991 NCAA Tournament". I will post the 1991 bracket as it would have been posted before the tournament. I will also add links to the stats for the top teams. For Duke I will add links to a few box scores of games before the tournament so we can see who was playing well.

In the same thread I will assume that Duke plays on Thurs / Sat for the first two weekends and of course Sat / Mon for the Final four. The day before each game I will add a post to the thread entitled "Pre-game" for Duke's opponent and will add the opponent's 1991 stats. On game day in the evening I will add a post to the thread entitled "In-Game and post game" and will add videos that I can find and the box score / play by play of the game.

Finally on the Sundays of the first two weekends I will post an updated NCAA bracket (Sweet 16 bracket and Final four bracket).

As usually folks can comment in any way they see fit. If this does not pan out too well we can at least have some fun reminiscing.
    I love the idea of this thread. Assuming that the spirit of this thread is to (somewhat) re-create the experience of watching the 1991 tournament the first time around, I propose that we try our best to keep this thread spoiler-free by limiting discussion to what we would have known at the time.

For example, MarkD83's initial post is a "re-creation" of Selection Sunday. So, I propose that this thread focus only on what would have been know from Selection Sunday until the tipoff of Duke's opening game against NE Louisiana. While we might be ready to jump to a discussion about a particular Final 4 game in 1991, let's pretend, for now, that we don't even know which teams will win their opening round games, much less which will make it to the Final 4.

I will begin by stating that I am worried about how Duke will respond after an unimpressive showing in the ACC Championship game where the lost to UNC by 22 points. After beating UNC twice in the regular season, I wasn't expecting such a poor showing in their 3rd matchup.

Make sure you have your brackets and pencils ready as we reveal the 64 teams that are on the road to the Final Four. (For our younger DBR members…yes we had to record the show and write down the teams in the bracket.)

#1 West – UNLV

#1 Southeast - Arkansas

#1 Midwest - Ohio State

#1 East - UNC

Greg, I heard that UNC got some extra practice time in this season because all of their independent study classes ended in January. That could make them a tough out.

That’s OK Jim, UNLV has Cleveland State take all of their classes so they are also well rested.

But Clark’s OSU team is also ready to go after a disappointing 7-4-1 football season including a loss at Michigan and a tie at Indiana.

Arkansas is also pretty good but perhaps a few years away from an NCAA championship.

OK on to the brackets.
    West
    UNLV vs Montana
    Georgetown vs Vanderbilt
    Utah vs South Alabama
    Seton Hall vs Pepperdine
    Virginia vs BYU
    Arizona vs St. Francis

I’d pay attention to that Wisc-Greenbay team. The coach’s son is a junior guard and a very heady player. I imagine he would make a great coach someday.

Midwest

Georgia Tech vs DePaul
    Texas vs St. Peter’s
    LSU vs Connecticut
    Nebraska vs Xavier

Several Big East teams in this region. That is an amazingly strong conference that should be around for many decades in the future.

Southeast

Arizona State vs Rutgers
    Alabama vs Murray State
    Pittsburgh vs Georgia
    Kansas vs New Orleans
    Florida State vs USC

Kansas is coached by Roy Williams who has no intention of leaving Kansas to go back to his alma mater. He thinks that Matt Doherty would be a great fit at unc after Dean Smith retires.

East

UNC vs Northeastern
    Princeton vs Villanova
    UCLA vs Penn State
    Purdue vs Temple
    Syracuse vs Richmond

It’s a travesty that Kentucky is not in the tournament. Give me a break they take 12 teams from the Big 10 which would never have 12 teams in it ever…and they leave out my Italian brother Rick Pitino. The guy is awesome baby. He would never get in trouble with the NCAA. Of course Kentucky is serving a two year post-season ban for recruiting violations. If Rick was coaching somewhere else, like Iona, they would be my Cinderella pick….Bring on the NCAAs baby……
    Can't spork you, but thanks for the positive distraction in some weird times.

#1 West – UNLV

#1 Southeast - Arkansas

#1 Midwest - Ohio State

#1 East - UNC

OK on to the brackets.
    West
    UNLV vs Montana
    Georgetown vs Vanderbilt
    Utah vs South Alabama
    Seton Hall vs Pepperdine
    Virginia vs BYU
    Arizona vs St. Francis

Midwest

Georgia Tech vs DePaul
    Texas vs St. Peter’s
    LSU vs Connecticut
    Nebraska vs Xavier

Southeast

Arizona State vs Rutgers
    Alabama vs Murray State
    Pittsburgh vs Georgia
    Kansas vs New Orleans
    Florida State vs USC

East

UNC vs Northeastern
    Princeton vs Villanova
    UCLA vs Penn State
    Purdue vs Temple
    Syracuse vs Richmond

Well after last year's debacle against UNLV and just getting killed by UNC- I hope this team gets focused. I hope Hill is more assertive. Duke needs him to play well to have a chance.

If you haven't been to the front page, Jim has a nice read:

Remember those T-shirts that called the Final Four the “Duke Invitational?”

Duke’s 1990 season was one of those seasons that made those shirts possible.

Duke didn’t have a single first-team All-ACC player that year. Duke finished second in the ACC, at 9-5, behind Clemson. Duke lost in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament and began the NCAA Tournament ranked 15th in the AP poll...

The title dream ended with Duke on the short end of a 103-73 beat-down at the hands of UNLV, the most one-sided result in NCAA title-game history.
    Let's try to keep this thread paced with Jim's upcoming storytelling!

-jk

Let's be honest guys, Coach K isn't the right guy for our program. He couldn't get over the hump in 1986, and he keeps getting there but not getting it done. Hurley's final game last year was embarrassing. It's time to clean house and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Let's be honest guys, Coach K isn't the right guy for our program. He couldn't get over the hump in 1986, and he keeps getting there but not getting it done. Hurley's final game last year was embarrassing. It's time to clean house and start over.
    I don't agree. He just has this monkey on his back- like Dean did. He has the potential to be a really good coach. I have a feeling this year could be different- but someone needs to knock off UNLV- that team is scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Who could Duke get that would be better? Maybe Coach K has a ceiling, but 4 Final Fours in the last 5 years is one heck of a ceiling.

Or put it this way: if you could straight-up trade our head coach for a different head coach, who would you want?

* Jim Boeheim is consistent in the Big East, the nation's best conference, and you can pretty much pencil in Syracuse to the Elite 8 right now. But he's only been to one Final Four and never won a title either. He'll probably retire in a few years anyway.

* I doubt we can pry John Thompson from Georgetown, but he's got a knack for recruiting true centers, and we've got to do better than Christian Laettner at that position if we want Duke to take the next step.

* Bobby Knight has three titles, but he's past his prime, and he would never step in to replace his protege.

* I hate to say this, but Dean Smith graduates his players without a whiff of scandal. He'd never come here, but if we could replicate The Carolina Way somehow...

What about P.J. Carlesimo? Getting things done in Seton Hall. Players love him. If you want a more offbeat candidate, look no further than some coaches in UNC's region. Jim Harrick, Ben Braun, Dave Bliss... I'd buy stock in these guys if I could.

ETA: Ironic apologies to Ben Braun, who I confused with Todd Bozeman. Got my California head coaches mixed up.
    Last edited by brevity; 03-16-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Who could Duke get that would be better? Maybe Coach K has a ceiling, but 4 Final Fours in the last 5 years is one heck of a ceiling.

Or put it this way: if you could straight-up trade our head coach for a different head coach, who would you want?

* Jim Boeheim is consistent in the Big East, the nation's best conference, and you can pretty much pencil in Syracuse to the Elite 8 right now. But he's only been to one Final Four and never won a title either. He'll probably retire in a few years anyway.

* I doubt we can pry John Thompson from Georgetown, but he's got a knack for recruiting true centers, and we've got to do better than Christian Laettner at that position if we want Duke to take the next step.

* Bobby Knight has three titles, but he's past his prime, and he would never step in to replace his protege.

* I hate to say this, but Dean Smith graduates his players without a whiff of scandal. He'd never come here, but if we could replicate The Carolina Way somehow...

What about P.J. Carlesimo? Getting things done in Seton Hall. Players love him. If you want a more offbeat candidate, look no further than some coaches in UNC's region. Jim Harrick, Ben Braun, Dave Bliss... I'd buy stock in these guys if I could.

ETA: Ironic apologies to Ben Braun, who I confused with Todd Bozeman. Got my California head coaches mixed up.
    Maybe we can get Rick Pitino from Kentucky. He seems to be a good guy with a great future.

Call me crazy but I have been hearing good things about Jay Wright who is an assistant at Nova. I bet he gets a coaching gig soon. Maybe not the right guy for an ACC level team right now- but in a few years he could be one to watch. Roy Williams made the jump to Kansas. I would not be surprised to see him in Chapel Hill one day.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Call me crazy but I have been hearing good things about Jay Wright who is an assistant at Nova. I bet he gets a coaching gig soon. Maybe not the right guy for an ACC level team right now- but in a few years he could be one to watch. Roy Williams made the jump to Kansas. I would not be surprised to see him in Chapel Hill one day.
    Duke has some good coaches on the bench...

I like Mike Brey's casual attitude and he brings a bit of the "luck of the Irish" to the team.

Tommy Amaker is very smart and would be a good coach for the "Harvard" of the south (or is that "Duke" of the north).

I am not sure about Jay Bilas, he is attending Duke law school right now while he is coaching. I guess someone on the staff has to have a law degree so they can understand and criticize all of the NCAA rules and regulations. (Switching to the present day. In reading his bio I did not realize that when Jay was a coach at Duke for 3 years, Duke went to 3 Final Fours and won 2 Championships. In addition to the 1986 Final Four, that is quite a college career. And in the future when the discussion turns to whether Jay's blood runs royal blue I will remember; 4 Final Fours and 2 Natty's wow!! thanks Jay!!)

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I can't see Duke getting past UNLV. I think they have our number.
    Carolina will roll past Kansas unless Deano gets tossed which we know will never happen.

Tweet!!! Offensive foul on brevity!!! Change of possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I can't see Duke getting past UNLV. I think they have our number.
    Carolina will roll past Kansas unless Deano gets tossed which we know will never happen.
    No way Roy will beat Dean. The guy worships him. If Dean were to retire and Roy had a chance to beat his record- I bet he would go on some sort of losing streak just so it did not happen.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    No way Roy will beat Dean. The guy worships him. If Dean were to retire and Roy had a chance to beat his record- I bet he would go on some sort of losing streak just so it did not happen.
    Surely you can't be serious.

Ha, this reminds me of one of my favorite threads on DBR. The 2001 national championship postgame thread that was started in 2015: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-Champs!-82-72

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Ha, this reminds me of one of my favorite threads on DBR. The 2001 national championship postgame thread that was started in 2015: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-Champs!-82-72
    Are you sure Coach K will be coaching in 2015? I mean if he coaches that long he might have over 1000 wins which is way more than Dean Smith. That couldn't happen could it!?!

Are you sure Coach K will be coaching in 2015? I mean if he coaches that long he might have over 1000 wins which is way more than Dean Smith. That couldn't happen could it!?!
    Good chance that if he wins a National Championship- he is going to get lured to coach in the NBA. Look at what happened to Larry Brown after he won his.