Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Looking for hopeful nuggets, I see we’re the only FF team that has won all our tournament games by double digits (UNLV only beat G’Town by 8.). Might not mean anything, but I’ve got to look for something to think about before the long drive to Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Indulge my fantasy. Say we can somehow keep it close. (I know, I know; dream on.) Maybe it becomes a game where free-throw shooting is important. I could totally see that shot-fake motion of Larry Johnson’s drawing a lane violation, and getting him an extra attempt. Not sure any team could overcome something like that on a Final Four stage.
    So far a different player other than Laettner has had good game in each of the previous 4-

T Hill - 18 against Louisiana Monroe
    G Hill - 14 pts 9 rebounds - Iowa
    Koubek 18 pts against UConn
    Hurley 20 points against St Johns

So if I would have to guess- I think Brian Davis plays much better than expected next game- UNLV is a physical team and this should be good for Davis. Just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    So far a different player other than Laettner has had good game in each of the previous 4-

T Hill - 18 against Louisiana Monroe
    G Hill - 14 pts 9 rebounds - Iowa
    Koubek 18 pts against UConn
    Hurley 20 points against St Johns

So if I would have to guess- I think Brian Davis plays much better than expected next game- UNLV is a physical team and this should be good for Davis. Just a feeling.
    Whatever straws you need to cling to. He has to deal with either Stacey Augmon’s length or Larry Johnson’s bulk. That’s a helluva lot to ask.

We got no shot. It’s over.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Whatever straws you need to cling to. He has to deal with either Stacey Augmon’s length or Larry Johnson’s bulk. That’s a helluva lot to ask.

Oh, come on! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Stacey Augmon, the Senior All-America, averaging 16 Pts, 7+ Rebounds, 3+ Assists, and 2+ Steals a game; shooting 59% from the floor including 47% from 3-pts, a lockdown defender who is also a 2,000 career point scorer; mighty impressive

We've got a guy with the tools in freshman Grant Hill; is he ready for a challenge like this?

I expect they will focus their attention on Laettner and Hill and Laettner will be hard for them to defend. So I would think that Davis will have his opportunities- plus he is due- either him or McCaffrey- but this may be too physical a game for Billy to shine. If my prediction comes true-and by some miracle Duke wins- look for Billy to have his best game of the tourney in the finals against UNC.

I expect they will focus their attention on Laettner and Hill and Laettner will be hard for them to defend. So I would think that Davis will have his opportunities- plus he is due- either him or McCaffrey- but this may be too physical a game for Billy to shine. If my prediction comes true-and by some miracle Duke wins- look for Billy to have his best game of the tourney in the finals against UNC.
    Agree about the physicality of this game--to mitigate UNLV's athleticism, we probably need to rely more on Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and less on Koubek and McCaffrey in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Agree about the physicality of this game--to mitigate UNLV's athleticism, we probably need to rely more on Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and less on Koubek and McCaffrey in this one.
    We're so fortunate to have such quality depth.

On the other side, I wonder about UNLV's bench; sure they've spread around the playing time in their many blowout wins, but how good are they beyond their starting five?

Do they have a backup point guard?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That might be the Death Star's one weakness: If Greg Anthony gets into serious foul trouble. Awww, who am I kidding? This Death Star has no weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I assume that your question is rhetorical, but I will answer it anyway because it gives me the opportunity to mention the fact that UNLV's 1991 roster contains a contender for the all-time, all-name team.

While I doubt he would get the call if Greg Anthony fouled out in a close game, UNLV's backup point guard is a Freshman named H Waldman.

To be clear, H isn't short for anything. Yes, his first name is H. I don't recall hearing a story as to why H's parents chose this particular name for their son and a quick Google search didn't reveal anything.

H played in 31 games for UNLV in 1991, averaging 2.1 points and 2.3 assists per game.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I assume that your question is rhetorical, but I will answer it anyway because it gives me the opportunity to mention the fact that UNLV's 1991 roster contains a contender for the all-time, all-name team.

While I doubt he would get the call if Greg Anthony fouled out in a close game, UNLV's backup point guard is a Freshman named H Waldman.

To be clear, H isn't short for anything. Yes, his first name is H. I don't recall hearing a story as to why H's parents chose this particular name for their son and a quick Google search didn't reveal anything.

H played in 31 games for UNLV in 1991, averaging 2.1 points and 2.3 assists per game.
    He was ready for action because he worked very hard in practice and rehearsed many possibilities. Always known for his preparation, H.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    He was ready for action because he worked very hard in practice and rehearsed many possibilities. Always known for his preparation, H.
    And I think he’s the silent type.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Very well played, and on a sensitive topic.

That might be the Death Star's one weakness: If Greg Anthony gets into serious foul trouble. Awww, who am I kidding? This Death Star has no weaknesses.
    That is asking a lot- he hasn’t had more than 3 all tourney- but you never know. He is a crafty player with a lot of experience. I would be very happy to see him get into foul trouble but he is a kid that could really hurt Duke.

Unofficial 1990-1991 Announcer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyrules View Post
    Could we have a separate thread for only Packer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie Thrower View Post
    Give me Len Berman and Bill Raftery on ESPN all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by fehlwurf View Post
    Onions! I wish those guys would call ACC games, but the Big East is where the action is at, probably forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TarkTowelSupply View Post
    ESPN does it right and should broadcast the NCAA Tournament. Their announcers are straightforward, relay the action without a lot of fluff, and resist the urge to hype themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInvitational View Post
    What about Dick Vitale?
    Quote Originally Posted by avuncular View Post
    Vitale's like a student out there. Love his energy. I will never get tired of that!
    Thought it was time to revive this thread now that we've watched two weeks of action and are down to a Final Four. Here are the announcers and some of the games they called.

FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDS

Tim Ryan/Dan Bonner (Syracuse): 9 Villanova over 8 Princeton, 13 Penn State over 4 UCLA
    Verne Lundquist/Len Elmore (College Park): 15 Richmond over 2 Syracuse, 3 Oklahoma State over 6 NC State
    Brad Nessler/Mimi Griffin (Atlanta): 5 Wake Forest over 12 Louisiana Tech, 1 Arkansas over 8 Arizona State
    Sean McDonough/Bill Walton (Louisville): 6 Pittsburgh over 11 Georgia, 7 FSU over 10 USC
    James Brown/Bill Raftery (Dayton): 5 Texas over 12 St. Peter's, 1 Ohio State over 8 Georgia Tech
    Dick Stockton/Billy Cunningham (Minneapolis): 11 Connecticut over 6 LSU, 2 Duke over 7 Iowa
    Greg Gumbel/Quinn Buckner (Tucson): 5 Michigan State over 12 Wisconsin-Green Bay, 1 UNLV over 8 Georgetown
    Mel Proctor/Jack Givens (Salt Lake City): 10 BYU over 7 Virginia, 3 Seton Hall over 11 Creighton

REGIONALS

James Brown/Bill Raftery (East): 1 UNC over 10 Temple
    Greg Gumbel/Quinn Buckner (Southeast): 3 Kansas over 1 Arkansas
    Jim Nantz/Billy Packer (Midwest): 2 Duke over 4 St. John's
    Dick Stockton/Billy Cunningham (West): 1 UNLV over 3 Seton Hall

Gotta believe Richmond over Syracuse will be the craziest game Lundquist and Elmore will ever announce together. And I think Mimi Griffin is the first ever female announcer for the men's tournament. Nice of CBS to change things up, and I hope she gets a chance to do this gig regularly.

What do you think of Jim Nantz replacing Brent Musberger this year in the Final Four? I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I always got a vibe from Musberger that he would rather stare at the cheerleaders than interact with Billy Packer. But then, Nantz is maybe a little too calm for this pairing? This is going to be like watching the Masters with a PGA suit and a surly golf fan.

That is asking a lot- he hasn’t had more than 3 all tourney- but you never know. He is a crafty player with a lot of experience. I would be very happy to see him get into foul trouble but he is a kid that could really hurt Duke.
    Foul trouble for Anthony would be a real lump of Cole in his stocking and hurt the team's chances.

Phil could certainly slow a game down, but as a head coach? He’s totally untested. I mean: Have *you* driven Ford lately?
    I have never driven a Ford, but I hear some models are really ... easy to drive.

I'm trying to be hopeful because it's a 40-minute game and anything can happen--think Chaminade and Syracuse losing to Richmond.

But I keep thinking about how last year we got 21 points from Phil Henderson and 14 from Alaa...and we still lost by 30. That's 65 extra points we have to make up from somewhere. Yeah, Bobby will probably do better than the 2 points he scored last year, but without Henderson, Alaa and Brickey...do we really expect Grant Hill to score 50 to make up the difference???

Semi final - not looking good for the devils

Doesn't look like Duke has a chance in this one against UNLV. UNLV are men among boys. I think it's more likely that UNC loses to Kansas and Dean Smith gets ejected from the game than Duke beats UNLV.
    Next year though, Duke should have a fighting chance to get the monkey off their back if they aren't too devastated by two consecutive losses to UNLV. Maybe we can keep it close this year and score the moral victory.