Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwood View Post
    Roy was in his first yr at KU when we played the 102-77 game at Cameron. It was Ferry’s last home game and his number was retired before the game. When things got out of hand in the Second Half, the crowd chanted “Roy, call Dean!”
    A nice rematch of the game in Phog a year earlier (where Herb was almost arrested into protective custody). The one between rankles...

-jk

What a game against UNLV! So happy to have convinced my buddy Matt to skip Friday afternoon classes, go rent a car in Durham and drive 9 hours to Indy. The whole way we're talking about hopefully not getting blown out, maybe sell the second half of the ticket book if we lose and driving back Sunday. We don't even have a hotel room booked for Sunday. Saturday was a perfect day with the games and basketball shooting hoops around the RCA Dome, UNC losing the first game with Dean getting tossed and us with one of the biggest Final Four upsets in history! The highlight may have been the Duke UNLV pregame when the Blue Devil came over to the Duke section with a huge homemade banner that reads "WELCOME FELLOW SCHOLARS!" He proceeds to show it to us, then rolls it up and runs to the front of the UNLV fan section. He unfurls the banner in all its glory and is getting pelted with cups, food, obscenities, UNLV alums yelling with veins popping out of their necks, etc. and all the time the Duke Students are screaming in delight and giving our Blue Devil a standing ovation!

Quote Originally Posted by devilwood View Post
    Roy was in his first yr at KU when we played the 102-77 game at Cameron. It was Ferry’s last home game and his number was retired before the game. When things got out of hand in the Second Half, the crowd chanted “Roy, call Dean!”
    The Kansas game was on February 18. Ferry, Snyder and Smith's last home game was against NC State on February 23. It snowed the day before the Kansas game and snowed (a lot) the day of the NC State game.

Duke had three regular-season games after that NCSU game, Arizona in the Meadlowlands and at Clemson and Carolina.

Duke surprised Mike Gminski by retiring his jersey on his Senior Day in 1980 against Clemson and he played poorly for much of the game before leading Duke to a come-from-behind overtime win. After that Duke rethought the idea of combining Senior Day and jersey retirement.

I worry about this upcoming game. Remember how much energy we expended against Danny Manning (future ACC COY!) in the semis just five years ago? Well, double that expenditure against UNLV. Hurley will probably try to make some spectacular pass and, instead, toss it into the cheap seats. 😔
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I worry about this upcoming game. Remember how much energy we expended against Danny Manning (future ACC COY!) in the semis just five years ago? Well, double that expenditure against UNLV. Hurley will probably try to make some spectacular pass and, instead, toss it into the cheap seats. 😔
    No question this will not be easy- but I am not sure anyone on that team is close to the talent on UNLV. Randall is a good, experienced player but he is not Manning good? Look, Duke has a monkey on its back but this is as good a situation as they will ever have to win one. K will have them laser focused. Just need to someone step up beyond the usual guys- particularly since I do not think T Hill will be 100%. The bench played great last game- maybe they can keep it up.

You are right

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The Kansas game was on February 18. Ferry, Snyder and Smith's last home game was against NC State on February 23. It snowed the day before the Kansas game and snowed (a lot) the day of the NC State game.

Duke had three regular-season games after that NCSU game, Arizona in the Meadlowlands and at Clemson and Carolina.

Duke surprised Mike Gminski by retiring his jersey on his Senior Day in 1980 against Clemson and he played poorly for much of the game before leading Duke to a come-from-behind overtime win. After that Duke rethought the idea of combining Senior Day and jersey retirement.
    You are right - Ferry’s last game was a few nights later. Valvano told him after the game he was glad he’d never have to face him again. (And he was not long for his job at State, either.)

Wow! Nice win over UNLV!

Quote Originally Posted by CTDukeFan View Post
    Doesn't look like Duke has a chance in this one against UNLV. UNLV are men among boys. I think it's more likely that UNC loses to Kansas and Dean Smith gets ejected from the game than Duke beats UNLV.
    Next year though, Duke should have a fighting chance to get the monkey off their back if they aren't too devastated by two consecutive losses to UNLV. Maybe we can keep it close this year and score the moral victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Yeah, you couldn't buy a better incoming class than Michigan's. Hard to see Duke beating them anytime in the next 4 years. Can you imagine how good Michigan is going to be when Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, and Juwan Howard are Seniors!
    Very happy to be proven wrong about Duke beating UNLV. Carolina loses as well which made for a perfect day. Thank goodness we don't have to face UNC for the National Championship.
    I think we should take a timeout before we start worrying about the incoming Michigan class. I agree they could definitely be tough to beat when they get some college-level experience under their belts. Right now we should enjoy the win over UNLV and then get ready for Kansas.

Is it my imagination or does this Kansas coach Roy Williams look like Huckleberry Hound?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Woo-hoo! What a game.

Jim Sumner's game account is up. Loved the way the Blue Devils held Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon in check. So many clutch plays.
    I nearly blew a gasket on the lane violation with 40 seconds left. IT'S THE LAST MINUTE OF THE FINAL FOUR, WE'VE GOT GOLIATH ON THE ROPES AND WE GIVE THEM ANOTHER CHANCE TO TIE?????? GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

But everything turned out ok! All's well that ends well!

On to the final, let's do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I nearly blew a gasket on the lane violation with 40 seconds left. IT'S THE LAST MINUTE OF THE FINAL FOUR, WE'VE GOT GOLIATH ON THE ROPES AND WE GIVE THEM ANOTHER CHANCE TO TIE?????? GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

But everything turned out ok! All's well that ends well!

On to the final, let's do this!
    Natty time! Here's hoping we never again face a Roy Williams coached team in the final game!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Thanks for a wonderful retrotour

I don't want to stop the conversation but I thought I would cap this off with some fun links...

https://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook...ip-run/198412#

The first link is to an audiobook recapping the 1991 season and then of course the retro tour could not end with out...

The ball is tipped
    And there you are
    You're running for your life
    You're a shooting star
    And all the years
    No one knows
    Just how hard you worked
    But now it shows...
    (in) One Shining Moment, it's all on the line
    One Shining Moment, there frozen in time

But time is short
    And the road is long
    In the blinking of an eye
    Ah that moment's gone
    And when it's done
    Win or lose
    You always did your best
    Cuz inside you knew...
    (that) One Shining Moment, you reached deep inside
    One Shining Moment, you knew you were alive

Feel the beat of your heart
    Feel the wind in your face
    It's more than a contest
    It's more than a race...

And when it's done
    Win or lose
    You always did your best
    Cuz inside you knew...
    (that) One Shining Moment, you reached for the sky
    One Shining Moment, you knew
    One Shining Moment, you were willing to try
    One Shining Moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiZAQGv6ik

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wI94-n1EOec

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Natty time! Here's hoping we never again face a Roy Williams coached team in the final game!
    Of course in 2020 we did and we won!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Of course in 2020 we did and we won!!!!!!
    Yes we did😀😀😀😀😀

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't want to stop the conversation but I thought I would cap this off with some fun links...

The first link is to an audiobook recapping the 1991 season and then of course the retro tour could not end with out...

The ball is tipped
    And there you are
    You're running for your life
    You're a shooting star
    And all the years
    No one knows
    Just how hard you worked
    But now it shows...
    (in) One Shining Moment, it's all on the line
    One Shining Moment, there frozen in time

But time is short
    And the road is long
    In the blinking of an eye
    Ah that moment's gone
    And when it's done
    Win or lose
    You always did your best
    Cuz inside you knew...
    (that) One Shining Moment, you reached deep inside
    One Shining Moment, you knew you were alive

Feel the beat of your heart
    Feel the wind in your face
    It's more than a contest
    It's more than a race...

And when it's done
    Win or lose
    You always did your best
    Cuz inside you knew...
    (that) One Shining Moment, you reached for the sky
    One Shining Moment, you were willing to try
    One Shining Moment...

Chills. The good kind.

Thank you.

What a great win in 1991 -- great for that group of players who slayed the UNLV dragon, great for Coach K and his staff, and great for Duke University.

Thanks much to MarkD83 who started and help sustain this thread, and thanks to others who added their insight, humor, and joy.

If anyone is looking for a bargain, really good deals on "UNLV Back to Back" shirts all over town!

Confused by front page of DBR

JD has a discussion of next year's starting lineup and talks about Jalen Johnson, Jeremy Roach, Mark Williams, DJ Steward, Jaemyn Brakefield, Henry Coleman, Jordan Goldwire, Joey Baker, Matthew Hurt and possibly Cassius Stanley...

I am very confused...my guess at the lineup and minutes played for next year is

Bobby Hurley 33.6
    Christian Laettner 32.2
    Brian Davis 30.9
    Thomas Hill 30.6
    Grant Hill 30.3
    Antonio Lang 22.4
    Cherokee Parks 12.8
    Marty Clark 7.9
    Erik Meek 5.7
    Kenny Blakeney 6.0
    Christian Ast 3.1
    Ron Burt 2.0

I mention this because 1) no DBR thread is complete without a discussion of minutes and 2) I might actually be right for once.

Sports Illustrated has already printed a championship cover! This Internet bulletin board thing is a fad, but magazines are forever.

71AU04swYgL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    If anyone is looking for a bargain, really good deals on "UNLV Back to Back" shirts all over town!
    Serious question: does anyone have one of those T-shirts that say "Duke takes a bite out of Tark's Sharks"? I can't find an image of it. This might be the other side:

Vintage-90s-Duke-University-Shirt-1991-Tarks-Sharks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What a great win in 1991 -- great for that group of players who slayed the UNLV dragon, great for Coach K and his staff, and great for Duke University.

Thanks much to MarkD83 who started and help sustain this thread, and thanks to others who added their insight, humor, and joy.
    Just rewatched on the VCR. Boy Duke was tired- Laettner in particular. Can’t say enough about Hurley’s super human endurance. Even Laettner was impressed with him. The key to win was Billy the kid- he hit so many important shots. T Hill was not himself - only hit that one bucket at the end off the first half. Davis and G Hill also made some athletic plays. Thankfully Kansas was tired as well. Duke gave them many chances to come back. I think I heard Roy say that he needs to be a better coach- perhaps - he has time.

But K and Duke finally has one. I don’t think it will be the last. K has built a great program and you need that first one to show you belong. Amazing that he is now tied with Dean Smith. Davis with what will be the iconic hug on K- “We got it for you baby”

I watched the celebration again at the end and no one seem to engage with McCaffrey. I wonder what that means. Hurley got a lot of love from this final four . Billy may feel he is the odd man out. Duke is going to be the odds on favorite to win it all next season. Gonna be a crazy year- talk about Duke hate if they go back to back. Need to savor this one first.

I wish something could be done about the video these days. It would be so much better if we could see more clarity, like higher definition, on TV.

But I like the singer. I hope they keep him and don't ever have someone like, oh, Jennifer Hudson, do it.
    Last edited by Rich; 04-07-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016