DBR Podcast #199 - Its Over

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP9639842574

Jason, Sam, and Donald try to cut through the shock of the season ending via a press release versus via a game on the court. They have some really interesting thoughts about what the NCAA's decision means for society and what it means for the future of college basketball. This podcast is more than the guys just crying about the end of the season. Enjoy!

-Jason "dying to know what folks think about some of the points we made and how we handled this totally unprecedented situation" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Really appreciated the podcast and how well you guys verbalized the thoughts and raw emotions that many of us have felt over the past several days. DBR has put on some great podcasts over the years, with recaps of thrilling games and interviews with big time guests, but for me this is one of the most memorable. I think Jason hit the nail on the head in describing the role that sports play in helping us cope with hard times. The closest analogy I can think of (and I am in no way suggesting that these two events are the same) was in the aftermath of 9/11 when all sports in America shut down for a few days. That was really the last time I can recall just not having any sports to watch. And the conversation quickly turned to when would be the appropriate time to resume, taking into account stadium security, respect for the victims, and consideration for the players. That period is a little fuzzy in my memory, but I seem to recall that within a week or so we were back to playing sports, as most leagues decided that there would be a sense of healing and returning to normalcy that sports would bring.

The current situation is different, we cannot simply choose to make the virus go away and proceed. But for me it's a similar feeling of wanting to have sports to turn to. A couple weeks ago I was joking with a friend that if I had to be quarantined for two weeks, March 19th would be the day to begin since I could just sit on my couch all day and watch hoops. Without that, there is an empty void in many of our lives.

But at the same time, it's just basketball that we're talking about, a bunch of kids throwing a ball through a hoop. There are people with far more serious problems right now than not being able to fill out a bracket and cheer for their favorite team. So I think it's also important to keep things in perspective.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Really appreciated the podcast and how well you guys verbalized the thoughts and raw emotions that many of us have felt over the past several days. DBR has put on some great podcasts over the years, with recaps of thrilling games and interviews with big time guests, but for me this is one of the most memorable. I think Jason hit the nail on the head in describing the role that sports play in helping us cope with hard times. The closest analogy I can think of (and I am in no way suggesting that these two events are the same) was in the aftermath of 9/11 when all sports in America shut down for a few days. That was really the last time I can recall just not having any sports to watch. And the conversation quickly turned to when would be the appropriate time to resume, taking into account stadium security, respect for the victims, and consideration for the players. That period is a little fuzzy in my memory, but I seem to recall that within a week or so we were back to playing sports, as most leagues decided that there would be a sense of healing and returning to normalcy that sports would bring.

The current situation is different, we cannot simply choose to make the virus go away and proceed. But for me it's a similar feeling of wanting to have sports to turn to. A couple weeks ago I was joking with a friend that if I had to be quarantined for two weeks, March 19th would be the day to begin since I could just sit on my couch all day and watch hoops. Without that, there is an empty void in many of our lives.

But at the same time, it's just basketball that we're talking about, a bunch of kids throwing a ball through a hoop. There are people with far more serious problems right now than not being able to fill out a bracket and cheer for their favorite team. So I think it's also important to keep things in perspective.
    Thanks for your wonderful kind words, my sweet smelling friend. I am thrilled you found our latest pod moving and will merely say that your words are pretty moving themselves.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Okay, I'm going to be the six year old in the room, but to be sure someone else heard that?