Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    I agree with this. I liken it to a senior who is injured during the last month of the season
    And cannot play ( this situation is obviously different, however similar). The injured player does not get an extra year of eligibility, possibly taking a freshman’s spot . A shortened season is unfortunate . Have to work through it without revamping the whole system.
    Except in this situation, it would be likened to EVERY single senior on EVERY single team being injured during the last month of the season. I'd say nothing that is going on right now can be likened to anything. This is literally unprecedented. So any response would have to be unprecedented too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    K as much as said that after the UNc game...something to the effect of “Tre’s last game in Cameron”
    Except this was said before any of this happened and before Tre knew he had a 0% chance of continuing Tyus's legacy towards winning a national championship. He might still be gone. But I wouldn't put any credence into anything that was said before this unprecedented situation occurred.

I'll point out that there is already a whole thread tracking draft projections for Duke players:

Tracking 2020 Draft Projections

But it's always worth periodically checking in on different mock draft boards. Take them with a grain of salt (some are a bit outdated) and I make no claims about the accuracy of any particular site, but here you go:

NbaDraft.Net
    12. Vernon Carey
    36. Cassius Stanely
    51. Tre Jones
    (2021 Mock Draft has Jalen Johnson #5 & Wendell Moore #9)

ESPN
    28. Vernon Carey
    33. Tre Jones
    50. Cassius Stanley

SportsIllustrated
    21. Vernon Carey
    (No second round projected)

CBS
    22. Tre Jones
    26. Vernon Carey

NBC Sports
    24. Tre Jones
    27. Vernon Carey

A Recent Bleacher Report Mock
    27. Tre Jones

SportsNaut
    14. Vernon Carey
    18. Cassius Stanley
    30. Tre Jones

A Recent Fansided Mock
    22. Tre Jones
    28. Vernon Carey

Make of these what you will.

Who knows

I haven't really worried a lot about this since Mike Dunleavy joined the draft in 2002 and Loul Deng joined the draft in 2004. At that point, I realized that I had a very different idea of what players should do compared to what players actually do. Since then, players have become even more willing to jump to the NBA after one year.

Accordingly, for that reason I have rarely thought about this issue. Having said that, with all televised sports canceled, I'll take a shot. I assume that Vernon and Tre will go. I think that Cassius will go, but I have a very hard time seeing him make an NBA team anytime soon. I assume he'll be in the G League for some time to come.

I think it's possible that Moore and Hurt will return, even probable, but I would not be surprised at all if both chose to go pro. I agree that neither seems NBA ready, but I think that stopped being the only criterion many years ago. For many of these kids, getting a shot at the NBA so far outweighs everything else that they will jump at the first opportunity.

Whatever each of the Duke players choose to do, they will have my support and I will not criticize them for their choice.

5 thoughts...

1. If the NCAA allows another year for senior BB players, I doubt they would allow increased scholarships. It sounds great to the top schools, but the vast majority would say otherwise. The smaller schools would have even more trouble competing with the big boys.

2. #1 above being said, if seniors are allowed to return, they probably will lose their scholarship. Would the Duke guys stay? Or would they want to move on with their lives? On the hoops front, the more NCAA players overall that stay, the more openings that would be available in the professional leagues worldwide. Guys like DeLaurier and White, who might not have had a chance at starting a pro career, might actually have such a chance (likely overseas, but a chance). Plus, with the incoming freshmen, their PT would be limited anyway. Would White want to take a risk and be a garbage time player? Maybe JRob would be a walk-on again and stay, though. I've heard he doesn't have future playing aspirations.

3. No matter what happens, Jones and Carey are gone. I also can't see Stanley staying given the guards coming in next year. The fact that the tourney won't happen doesn't really matter to the draft (it happebns no matter what), so it won't matter to the players from a draft perspective. First round money is first round money, NBA dreams are NBA dreams.

4. Hurt might get drafted in the 2nd round, but not a guarantee. He had too many almost-DNPs, and that will make scouts wonder. Moore has potential, but his injuries prevented the scouts from seeing him enough. Both would get summer league invites, but that doesn't translate to a roster spot. I think they stay.

5. Duke has a great class coming in next year, guys at all positions. 6 new scholarships. So if Jones, Carey, Stanley and the 3 seniors go, that's balances. Crazy to think that Duke will be getting 10% of the top 50 (though not as crazy as getting last year's class). This will also limit playing time for existing players, so yet another reason why many on this year's team won't be back next year.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Cole at #1? Holy smokes, what did they see that I missed?
    I’m shocked too. All I see in Anthony is a ball hog who didn’t make his teammates better.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Tre bien and Carey on.
    But it will still Hurt to see them go.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    Except in this situation, it would be likened to EVERY single senior on EVERY single team being injured during the last month of the season. I'd say nothing that is going on right now can be likened to anything. This is literally unprecedented. So any response would have to be unprecedented too.

Except this was said before any of this happened and before Tre knew he had a 0% chance of continuing Tyus's legacy towards winning a national championship. He might still be gone. But I wouldn't put any credence into anything that was said before this unprecedented situation occurred.
    Thus the disclaimer

I’ll play.

Vernon - 100%

Tre - 99%

Cassius - 95%

Wendell - 35%

Matthew - 30%

Jordan - 0%

Just a tad worried about the “T” word, but as not to violate rules on rumors I’ll say no more.

Go Duke!!!

For 2020, it seems clear that our top 2 guys are gone.

i also think Stanley is gone. He has NBA athleticism and has been playing with pro players for years. He has a dad who’s a longtime sports agent (including being the first African-American agent to represent the 1st pick in the NFL draft). He strikes me as psychologically and physically ready to play with NBA men. Plus, he’ll be 21 in August, which makes him older than Zion or Barrett. One could argue that he is academically oriented (he started at Harvard-Westlake, which is one of the more academic high schools in the country), but that variable has not been a deciding factor since the days of Battier and Williams. He could have cemented a 1st round spot in the next few weeks, but I’d guess he’ll do that at the combine, where he’ll set the all-time record for vertical leap in a hazmat suit.

It may not be a coincidence that all 3 of those guys have 1st degree relatives who’ve earned serious paychecks from pro sports.

As for the rest of the underclassmen, I’d be shocked if they went pro. Ok, I’m shocked at the current state of the world, so let’s say I’m skeptical that Hurt or Moore would get invited to the combine, much less get drafted.

Hurt lost important PT to a 5th year walk on who had never previously gotten significant minutes (okay, Justin was never really a walk on, or even really a preferred walk on, he was always in a unique situation). Regardless, Hurt’s not close, at the moment, to being a Dunleavy or a Deng, both of whom were completely ready for the NBA (especially Luol). To develop into a legit NBA stretch 4, Hurt needs to develop a better shot and more strength, etc. Maybe a team will be confident in his trajectory, but I don’t think a team would burn a pick on that possibility. Would Hurt really prefer serious G league time over another season at Duke? Wendell is terrific at the moment, but more of a Chris Carrawell or Nate James terrific, which would mean several more years as a team leader and glue guy. Maybe these 2 guys don’t like college and want/need to leave, though Wendell was one of our 2 guys on the All ACC academic team (Jack White was the other). Anyway, I’d put their chances of leaving at 0. Which is win/win since I think both will be much improved next year.

Oh, and no way the NCAA lets seniors return. It’d be chaotic, expensive, against their own rules (they’ve completed eligibility), and way too player friendly.
    Last edited by johnb; 03-13-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soflabluedevil View Post
    Portal would be loaded with kids looking to go where they could play right away instead of sit and watch xtra yr srs.
    A lot of those seniors would also hit the transfer portal, as grad transfers they could play somewhere else right away.

Tre stays I believe.

He is one of those special guys that truely has loved Duke since he was a kid.

I don't think he would want it to end this way. The pros will always be there for him. I believe he wants to win a national title.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Tre stays I believe.

He is one of those special guys that truely has loved Duke since he was a kid.

I don't think he would want it to end this way. The pros will always be there for him. I believe he wants to win a national title.
    I will be shocked if he returns. Pleasantly shocked, but absolutely shocked.

He did the “hug coach K in the last home game” thing. Coach K himself slipped that it was Tre’s last home game. The signs all point in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

He did the “hug coach K in the last home game” thing. Coach K himself slipped that it was Tre’s last home game. The signs all point in that direction.
    Putting aside my selfish, Duke fan interests, I think Wendell and Mathew should stay. I think they will both improve greatly with another season.

I don't know their family financial situations. They may need some more immediate income. Maybe I just hope they stay because I think they will both be very good next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Putting aside my selfish, Duke fan interests, I think Wendell and Mathew should stay. I think they will both improve greatly with another season.

I don't know their family financial situations. They may need some more immediate income. Maybe I just hope they stay because I think they will both be very good next year.
    Agree on all counts--both have very tangibles areas they could address to improve their draft chances.

For Matthew Hurt, it's getting stronger and showing better defense. Those are things that typically get better from a freshman to a sophomore year. If he shows some improvements there, his shooting will get him to the NBA. But he's not there yet.

For Wendell Moore, it's 3pt shooting and turnovers. He has NBA athleticism, but 21% from 3pt is a huge red flag. But he's an 80% FT shooter, so there are signs he can improve. If he can get that 3pt % up to a respectable degree than he's your prototypical 3&D wing. If he can do that AND cut down on turnovers, then you're looking at a 3&D wing who can initiate offense. That could make Wendell a lottery pick.

I expect both to be back, and both to have big seasons. Going further, I think the core-four for next year will be Hurt, Moore, Jalen Johnson and Jeremy Roach. Everyone else will be complementary, and we'll go as far as those four take us.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    For 2020, it seems clear that our top 2 guys are gone.

i also think Stanley is gone. He has NBA athleticism and has been playing with pro players for years. He has a dad who’s a longtime sports agent (including being the first African-American agent to represent the 1st pick in the NFL draft). He strikes me as psychologically and physically ready to play with NBA men. Plus, he’ll be 21 in August, which makes him older than Zion or Barrett. One could argue that he is academically oriented (he started at Harvard-Westlake, which is one of the more academic high schools in the country), but that variable has not been a deciding factor since the days of Battier and Williams. He could have cemented a 1st round spot in the next few weeks, but I’d guess he’ll do that at the combine, where he’ll set the all-time record for vertical leap in a hazmat suit.

It may not be a coincidence that all 3 of those guys have 1st degree relatives who’ve earned serious paychecks from pro sports.
    John B, I could also argue the flip side in these three cases -- ain't no one at home saying, "We need the money -- now," so they can make a professional decision on what's best for them or, heaven forfend, what they would personally prefer to do. Tre and Vernon will leave, but I have some hopes for Cassius sticking around another year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    John B, I could also argue the flip side in these three cases -- ain't no one at home saying, "We need the money -- now," so they can make a professional decision on what's best for them or, heaven forfend, what they would personally prefer to do. Tre and Vernon will leave, but I have some hopes for Cassius sticking around another year.
    Also -- not saying I disagree with you.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    For Wendell Moore, it's 3pt shooting and turnovers. He has NBA athleticism, but 21% from 3pt is a huge red flag. But he's an 80% FT shooter, so there are signs he can improve. If he can get that 3pt % up to a respectable degree than he's your prototypical 3&D wing. If he can do that AND cut down on turnovers, then you're looking at a 3&D wing who can initiate offense. That could make Wendell a lottery pick.
    Wendell Moore has some talent, but he’s not an off-the-chart athlete by any means. And his level of various skills is fairly average right now for a major conference basketball player. He has a long LONG way to go before he could even think about cracking an NBA lineup.

The tournaments have often made a difference to the drafts. Without them who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wendell Moore has some talent, but he’s not an off-the-chart athlete by any means. And his level of various skills is fairly average right now for a major conference basketball player. He has a long LONG way to go before he could even think about cracking an NBA lineup.
    A player should leave when the college game seems easy for them. In his last 8 games, Wendell scored 4 or less points 6 times. I am not convinced this is evidence that he has figured it out. The kid has talent and will get much better but he is not ready. I hope he takes the good advice to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I'd be with you if this was a normal season. We're all throwing wild guesses out, but I believe the way the season ended puts a Tre return on the table, however unlikely it may be. He does strike me as one of those guys who values this experience, and he was robbed of it.