Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this...after seeing how tyus struggled to stay in the league, tre is not going to top tyus's hype.

also, i'll be leaving college sports if cole anthony goes first in the draft...
    say what? Tyus worked thru his $6 million initial contract, then signed for $26 million with the Grizz...and he had other offers...

It is worth pointing out that the NBA combine and draft camps may not happen in the current environment, making it even more difficult for players and teams to get info about who fits where in the draft process. It could severely muddy the waters and make decisions even more difficult.

That said, I expect teams to find safe ways to get measurements on players and stage workouts in a reasonably safe way. Also worth noting that it is entirely possible that the virus may start to ease before NBA draft decisions must be made... I hope!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth pointing out that the NBA combine and draft camps may not happen in the current environment, making it even more difficult for players and teams to get info about who fits where in the draft process. It could severely muddy the waters and make decisions even more difficult.

That said, I expect teams to find safe ways to get measurements on players and stage workouts in a reasonably safe way. Also worth noting that it is entirely possible that the virus may start to ease before NBA draft decisions must be made... I hope!
    and I would imagine that our man Adam Silver has the power to delay the draft if that is required.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and I would imagine that our man Adam Silver has the power to delay the draft if that is required.
    i wonder how much a hand he had in the degree of response duke had. By all accounts, duke was on the forefront of cancelling the season, and it came the night after the NBA cancelled theirs.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    What makes you think there will be sporting events this fall or even next year? The likelihood of finding a cure within 12 months and test it is very small. Everyone is acting like this is short term, but I don't see it being resolved by years end.
    Yesterday, Brian Windhorst reported that China is planning on resuming the Chinese pro basketball league in April. Their first case was December 1, if I remember correctly.

Prior to the cancellations, I had envisioned a path where Stanley broke out in the tournament and helped lead the team to a Final Four run, hitting threes and throwing down crazy dunks and scoring 18ppg. Such a run would have boosted his draft stock to borderline lottery, and he'd be 100% gone. Without such opportunity, NBA teams will be forced to rely on what they've seen from him in the regular season which is a great athlete, inconsistent shooter who often disappears in games. I think the late-first round projections are accurate. If the combine happens he'll look great and he would receive a boost. But overall I think Gary Trent is a good comparison for where he fits in the draft (not in terms of playing style obviously). He's 90% gone, but as they say, there's always a chance...

As for seniors getting an extra year, I would think the NCAA would also have to award an additional scholarship or two to each team in order to make that feasible. I think it's highly unlikely, but if it happened then it would certainly be great to have JRob and/or Javin back for another year given our hole at center. White would struggle to earn playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    . . . As for seniors getting an extra year, I would think the NCAA would also have to award an additional scholarship or two to each team in order to make that feasible. I think it's highly unlikely, but if it happened then it would certainly be great to have JRob and/or Javin back for another year given our hole at center. White would struggle to earn playing time.
    If such an extension of eligibility is implemented, I think that a simple solution, easily and uniformly applicable, would be to declare that those seniors who elect to return will not be counted against the normal scholarship limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    If such an extension of eligibility is implemented, I think that a simple solution, easily and uniformly applicable, would be to declare that those seniors who elect to return will not be counted against the normal scholarship limits.
    I don't see how the NCAA could allow basketball seniors back. The vast majority of teams had already finished their season by the time the tournament was canceled. What if UNC had a Tyler Hansbrough type player that was a senior. He would have literally played out his entire senior year and then get a 5th year?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I don't see how the NCAA could allow basketball seniors back. The vast majority of teams had already finished their season by the time the tournament was canceled. What if UNC had a Tyler Hansbrough type player that was a senior. He would have literally played out his entire senior year and then get a 5th year?
    Maybe game after game, we can watch Brandon Robinson flopping all over the court and writhing in pain on the floor again next year, only to come running out of the locker room again to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i wonder how much a hand he had in the degree of response duke had. By all accounts, duke was on the forefront of cancelling the season, and it came the night after the NBA cancelled theirs.
    Indeed, he was the guiding hand behind our rather draconian (i.e. more restrictive than many other venues) Wallace Wade security protocol...it did seem to me, however, that the Cancellation Express was hurtling down the track yesterday with or without his input...only nitwit Swofford lagged behind other commissioners, I guess he had to await direction from Chapel Hill.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As much as the last couple days have sucked, the hard choices that have been made make this within the realm of possibility. That's why I think so many college coaches were frustrated by the pure cancellation of the tourney as opposed to a delay... it's possible that by taking all these preventative measures now we can "flatten the curve" so that life can return to normal sooner rather than later. But so much is unknown. All we have as examples are other countries that have experienced this. You mentioned China as one, but remember they have a massively superior testing apparatus (not to mention their, ahem, "different" style of government makes it easier to implement harsh measures to stop the virus' spread). A couple months may be the best case scenario, but it's now a possible best case scenario as opposed to an outlandish one.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this...after seeing how tyus struggled to stay in the league, tre is not going to top tyus's hype.

also, i'll be leaving college sports if cole anthony goes first in the draft...
    Most college players would love to endure Tyus’s struggles and new $28M guaranteed contract. It is a hard life Now Trevon’s situation is much different. That is a real struggle for a kid that left too early.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Is there any indication that Tre Jones is leaving? Everyone seems to put that as a certainty.
    The only thing he had to prove was that his shooting would get better and he proved that. While his athleticism and potential will keep him from being drafted high, he will still be drafted and most likely in the 1st rd. Every team in the league could use a backup pg who makes great passes, plays smart, doesn't turn the ball over, plays intense defense and can hit an open 3.

Stanley probably wouldn't be drafted or drafted in a spot to make it worth it buuut I'm guessing he will test amazingly at the combine and leave too.

Only other person who might leave is Carey.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moore is a year away from being a Justise-type talent; leave now, and he may face a Duval future. He should return.

I don't think Cassius is ready either. Yeah, I know -- he's old. But so what -- he doesn't attack the basket, and he is lacking basic shooting guard skills -- except running the break and shooting.

Hurt didn't show what he is capable of this year and would benefit from a return, but in a way he is more skilled than Wendell. I hope he returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    NBA loves reaching for potential. I think Moore is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If the NBA is looking for "potential," why do the draft gurus, who talk to NBA scouts, not even list him in the second round?
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    IMO, that's a bit of a stretch . . . Justise was already a very good playmaker as a freshman at Duke, and an all-America level defender. Wendell may resemble Justise physically, but talent-wise, Justise is just on a completely different level. He was killing it as a starting POINT GUARD for the Heat before his latest injury. I would envision Wendell as more of a rotation guy in the league, while Justise at full health has, at the bare minimum, starter level talent, and potential for much more.

But at the same time, I sort of agree that Wendell is more likely to go pro than Hurt based on his/his family's quotes from before this season. He fully expected to be a OAD player. I'm sure Hurt did as well, but was much less outwardly demonstrative of it. But neither of them has any business going pro yet.
    You are probably right given that Justise was a #10 pick and has had a meteoric career (I am tempted to say, as in, "now you see it, now you don't"), and Wendell won't be drafted as a freshman. Wendell OTOH has the physique, as you mention, but also has the swagger, and as the season developed, serious defensive skills.

Wendell needs a much better handle, and that's one of the things that can be learned -- next season at Duke, I hope. He also needs to score and shoot better. His shooting stats are uneven -- 0.416, 0.211, 0.806 -- but his FT shooting was the best on the team (not counting Joey's 11/12), so there's hope. And he -- and much of this team -- needed to do a better job of finishing around the basket.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Which would Hurt Moore?
    Tre bien and Carey on.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I agree with this. I liken it to a senior who is injured during the last month of the season
    And cannot play ( this situation is obviously different, however similar). The injured player does not get an extra year of eligibility, possibly taking a freshman’s spot . A shortened season is unfortunate . Have to work through it without revamping the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Cole at #1? Holy smokes, what did they see that I missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, if that proves to be true, this is a far, far weaker class than I thought...
    It's unrealistic. It basically would mean NBA teams put 100% of the blame on Roy's habitual inability to get top-15 high school players to perform at a high level like Coach K usually does.

But, I think most NBA teams will lay the blame as 80% Roy, 20% Cole is overrated. And thus, he'll drop out of the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    K as much as said that after the UNc game...something to the effect of “Tre’s last game in Cameron”
    Welp.

Hoping something miraculous happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Portal would be loaded with kids looking to go where they could play right away instead of sit and watch xtra yr srs.

I agree that Tre, Carey and Stanley are gone.
    However, I tend to believe that Hurt will too.
    Moore on the other hand, I feel will come back