Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I loved Jon Scheyer and he is my favorite Duke player of all time.

To slightly disagree with you, I think Kennard was better at getting the ball relatively low and using fakes and footwork to get a short shot.

Scheyer was the better ball handler and floor manager.
    No disagreement, I think you are correct. Kennard was incredible at finding seams, exploiting them patiently, pivoting, and finding angles to get shots up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    No disagreement, I think you are correct. Kennard was incredible at finding seams, exploiting them patiently, pivoting, and finding angles to get shots up.
    I loved watching Luke Kennard play, especially when he got more playing time in his sophomore year. Can you imagine how good he would have been as a senior?

Kennard was every bit offensively amazing as the player he guards every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I loved watching Luke Kennard play, especially when he got more playing time in his sophomore year. Can you imagine how good he would have been as a senior?
    He’s a really good NBA player. Next year he will earn 5 million...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kennard was every bit offensively amazing as the player he guards every night.
    That’s not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    He’s a really good NBA player. Next year he will earn 5 million...
    I’ve seen several Detroit Pistons games where Luke has been just flat-out sensational. I’m not exaggerating.

Beware of potential April fools day prank - there’s a tweet going around announcing that Stanley has declared. But it’s only coming from one source that doesn’t look very official, then other people are retweeting it and sharing on social media. Maybe it’s true, but I am highly skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Beware of potential April fools day prank - there’s a tweet going around announcing that Stanley has declared. But it’s only coming from one source that doesn’t look very official, then other people are retweeting it and sharing on social media. Maybe it’s true, but I am highly skeptical.
    Manalisi?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Manalisi?
    Nah, he’s on a secret spy mission getting off an Apache helicopter. But don’t worry, the kraken is coming!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I already got fooled pretty bad by one of my collaborators, who sent me an e-mail saying they he a paper that "scooped" us (a term in the academic community for when someone publishes a paper on your work before you can finish your own)... turns out the paper was a joke about how you could understand how neurons work by making fun shapes with pipe cleaners!

I've learned my lesson. Today is April 1. In 1984 the party famously said that "War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength". The last of those three is pivotal to get through today, hahaha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Going to quibble because, let's face it, what else do we have to do - and it's a DBR tradition.
    Scheyer was much better than Kennard at most aspects of the game but especially on defense. Scheyer seemed to see the whole court about .5 seconds earlier in a play's development than anyone else and had a knack for disrupting the other team's offense just by being in the right spot to be a pest. Amazing talent that doesn't show in the box score. If Scheyer had not suffered the eye injury, I think he would have developed into a solid rotation player despite some physical limitations.
    Not taking anything away from Kennard - he's just a different type of player than Scheyer.
    I agree that Scheyer was the better defender, but this was partially due IMHO to Scheyer playing 4 years at Duke before Duke's OAD era -- i.e. when team defense overall was much better than it was in Kennard's era (even though their "eras" were only a few years apart).

I will respectfully disagree with the bolded. I think their offensive games were more similar than they were different and were overall pretty equivalent in terms of production and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I loved Jon Scheyer and he is my favorite Duke player of all time.

To slightly disagree with you, I think Kennard was better at getting the ball relatively low and using fakes and footwork to get a short shot.

Scheyer was the better ball handler and floor manager.
    I think these are good nuanced observations. I would note that Scheyer's ball handling and floor management also likely benefited from staying 4 years.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    I agree that Scheyer was the better defender, but this was partially due IMHO to Scheyer playing 4 years at Duke before Duke's OAD era -- i.e. when team defense overall was much better than it was in Kennard's era (even though their "eras" were only a few years apart).

I will respectfully disagree with the bolded. I think their offensive games were more similar than they were different and were overall pretty equivalent in terms of production and skill.

I think these are good nuanced observations. I would note that Scheyer's ball handling and floor management also likely benefited from staying 4 years.
    I think the "tenure" aspects are important here. I don't think many would suggest that sophomore year Kennard was better than senior-year Scheyer. But I would suggest sophomore-year Kennard better than any any non-senior-year Scheyer.

I also don't think Scheyer was a great defender. He was surely better than Kennard on defense by his senior year, but as a freshman and sophomore he was only marginally better on defense. Conversely, freshman Kennard was comparable offensively to any non-senior version of Scheyer, and sophomore year Kennard was comparable offensively to senior-year Scheyer (more scorer, less passer).

Scheyer had a really interesting career. For 3 years, he was a good but not great player. And then he exploded as a senior. Kennard had a solid freshman year and then exploded as a sophomore. Had Kennard stayed 4 years (or even 3), I suspect the narrative of this comparison would look much more favorable for Kennard.

Nah, he’s on a secret spy mission getting off an Apache helicopter. But don’t worry, the kraken is coming!
    Was that generated by an AI algorithm of just throwing in random popular sci-fi/fantasy movie phrases? It was funny.

To change gears completely: although i think having a So. Stanley on the team would be amazing, i can't imagine that he would improve his future appreciably by staying. He's "old" for his draft position, but he did show that he was able to improve on his opportunistic style and play a more attacking, aggressive style. He could bulk up a bit, but his skill-set screams 3nD attack from the wing, which is a role he could fill very well in the NBA.
    Otoh, Wendell Moore should stay (i haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise). His play this past year was probably quite similar to what Cassius would have been like had Cassius been Wendell's age. There's definitely differences in their games, but the maturity gap is really what differentiated them. Wendell needs to prove that he can shoot the 3, and for a guy billed as a ball-handling option he needs to improve his ball-handling (mostly decision-making withe ball).

Why am I receiving articles from Ball Durham gasbag guy scolding "some" Duke fans for not respecting Cassius enough on his impending decision?

Ugh, thanks google.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The Duke social media squad remains active, and just posted a highlight vid of one Matt Hurt.

https://www.facebook.com/10287582445...9456/?vh=e&d=n

This means nothing. Or something. But probably nothing. But let’s speculate to celebrate completing another week of social distancing!!!

^ they’ve put out a different video highlighting one of our players every few days.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Why am I receiving articles from Ball Durham gasbag guy scolding "some" Duke fans for not respecting Cassius enough on his impending decision?

Ugh, thanks google.
    Google News always gives me Ball Durham articles for some reason. I do search/view Duke basketball a lot and somehow the algorithms must like that site as a trusted news source. I'll compliment him on his SEO...

^ they’ve put out a different video highlighting one of our players every few days.
    Yup yup. That’s why it means nothing.

Or it means something! Because I’m going crazy and am seeing meaning everywhere where there is none ;p

Ok, this one may be actual news! The social media hype train just posted Wendell’s vid. Note the caption:

😈0️⃣ made his mark in Year 1 & the best is yet to come ✊👀

https://www.facebook.com/10287582445...4456/?vh=e&d=n

Best is yet to come?!?! That’s pretty damn clear, no?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Ok, this one may be actual news! The social media hype train just posted Wendell’s vid. Note the caption:

😈0️⃣ made his mark in Year 1 & the best is yet to come ✊👀

https://www.facebook.com/10287582445...4456/?vh=e&d=n

Best is yet to come?!?! That’s pretty damn clear, no?
    I agree with you, Scott, and came here to post the same thing. I don’t think the Duke social media team would post that unless he’s definitely returning.