Cassius Stanley
    DJ Steward

Ball handlers:
    Jalen Johnson
    Wendell Moore
    DJ Steward
    Jeremy Roach
    Jordan Goldwire
    Sounds like we’ll have an 18-man rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    As long as he doesn't give up dairy, it could be an udder fiction …

GG,LC?
    Think you are really milking this one

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Sounds like we’ll have an 18-man rotation.
    K: Challenge accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Next year's team will have a freshman class with one sure fire OAD. But they will have two players (Roach and Steward) that are higher rated than Moore and Stanley and coming in on reputation only, more talented.
    I seriously doubt either Roach or Steward is more talented than Cassius Stanley, who I think is going to eventually be a stud in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I seriously doubt either Roach or Steward is more talented than Cassius Stanley, who I think is going to eventually be a stud in the NBA.
    Possibly. On one hand, Roach and Steward have something extremely valuable that Stanley doesn’t (or at least hasn’t shown yet): the ability to create their own shot. On the other, they would both play the most competitive position in the NBA (PG).

I definitely think Stanley is the safer bet to stick on an NBA roster. His athleticism suggests 3-and-D wing as he fills out and if his shot improves. But I don’t know if his game will excel in the NBA. He will need to get much more proven as a ballhandler and off-the-dribble scorer to be a star at the next level. Not saying he won’t, just that he hasn’t shown anything close to that yet.

Roach and Steward have a substantial ball skills edge, and quite comfortably so. The question will be whether they can stick at the toughest position in the league.

I feel like Stanley has the safest floor of the three, but has a bigger hurdle to getting to his ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Should Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore elect to return that would give Duke two-and-done NBA talent. Which would be pretty darn promising.
    Why does coming back to school make them two-and-done? Doesn’t it just make them not one-and-done?

I keep hearing that Cassius is about to turn 21, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The Miami Heat had three successful rookies this past (or perhaps future) season, lottery pick Tyler Herro, 25 year old Duncan Robinson, and 24 year old Kendrick Nunn.

Patience may be more important than potential, so Cassius should either return to Duke for more seasoning or speak to the Miami Heat's Director of Player Development Shane Battier or their CEO (and former Duke student manager) Nick Arison since the team does an amazing job of developing their players.

Personally I would rather spend another year in Durham rather than in Sioux Falls, where the Heat's G-League affiliate is, so I think the best thing for him to do is to return to Duke and to develop into a first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The Miami Heat had three successful rookies this past (or perhaps future) season, lottery pick Tyler Herro, 25 year old Duncan Robinson, and 24 year old Kendrick Nunn.

Patience may be more important than potential, so Cassius should either return to Duke for more seasoning or speak to the Miami Heat's Director of Player Development Shane Battier or their CEO (and former Duke student manager) Nick Arison since the team does an amazing job of developing their players.

Personally I would rather spend another year in Durham rather than in Sioux Falls, where the Heat's G-League affiliate is, so I think the best thing for him to do is to return to Duke and to develop into a first round pick.
    Agree on all counts. I already said my main wish is for Stanley and Hurt to stay at Duke. If those two have a sophomore year at Duke I’m happy.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    So like many of you I'm going a bit stir-crazy, so (healthy or not) I'm putting some of that energy towards over-analyzing social media developments to try to read the tea-leaves for our returnees.

The latest: the official Duke Basketball account sent this tweet this morning showcasing our awesome jerseys and the fact that they'll return next season.

The model? Wendell Moore.

Is it possible that they only had footage of Wendell in all these jerseys? Potentially, but doubtful. Does it make sense for them to make this post with a guy that they know will be returning for the 2020-2021 season? Yes. Is it probable that social media posts like these have no hidden meanings? Of course, but then what else would I do for a break from working from home?!?!

Discuss. And send positive thoughts for my sanity ;p
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

What "IF" Hurt, Moore and Stanley all come back...

Not even sure what K would do with a starting line up because someone would need to defend the 5. "IF" they all come back, I'm guessing the line up of Roach, Stanley, Moore, Hurt and Johnson start, so in that case Hurt might have to defend a 5 or one of those guys is a 6th man which would either Williams or Tapé to start at the 5.

I know it's a good thing to have such a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The latest: the official Duke Basketball account sent this tweet this morning showcasing our awesome jerseys...
    LOVE the navy blue uniforms with gothic lettering. I wish I had inside info to share concerning who is returning and who is not, but I don’t. All I know is I love those uniforms.

So like many of you I'm going a bit stir-crazy, so (healthy or not) I'm putting some of that energy towards over-analyzing social media developments to try to read the tea-leaves for our returnees.

The latest: the official Duke Basketball account sent this tweet this morning showcasing our awesome jerseys and the fact that they'll return next season.

The model? Wendell Moore.

Is it possible that they only had footage of Wendell in all these jerseys? Potentially, but doubtful. Does it make sense for them to make this post with a guy that they know will be returning for the 2020-2021 season? Yes. Is it probable that social media posts like these have no hidden meanings? Of course, but then what else would I do for a break from working from home?!?!

Discuss. And send positive thoughts for my sanity ;p
    Yeah. There is no way Duke uses Moore in that promo video for NEXT year’s jerseys if they didn’t know he was coming back.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

For some of us, all twitter posts and all instagram posts are blocked by our firewall.

I feel like I'm reading tea leaves without even seeing the tea leaves! For my sanity (what's left of it) can somebody please provide a summary or a description of what Stanley's posts are?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah. There is no way Duke uses Moore in that promo video for NEXT year’s jerseys if they didn’t know he was coming back.
    OK, so I'm not crazy! Or at least you're crazy with me, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    For some of us, all twitter posts and all instagram posts are blocked by our firewall.

I feel like I'm reading tea leaves without even seeing the tea leaves! For my sanity (what's left of it) can somebody please provide a summary or a description of what Stanley's posts are?
    Remember what Tre posted last year right before he announced he'd be back? Basically that. So at this point if he's not coming back he decided to purposefully toy with Duke fans' hearts on social media. Which I have to imagine he wouldn't do based on everything we know and love about the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Recent Twitter Posts

March 21: "It's been a pleasure playing with you" in response to Tre Jones tweeting "Thank You Duke"

March 24: No words, but a GIF of animated Batman stroking his chin (still image below)

amibatman.jpg

Remember what Tre posted last year right before he announced he'd be back? Basically that. So at this point if he's not coming back he decided to purposefully toy with Duke fans' hearts on social media. Which I have to imagine he wouldn't do based on everything we know and love about the guy.
    No, that's an overstatement. See brevity's post below. It is literally just a GIF with Batman stroking his chin.

Jones' tweet last year was a a picture of him in uniform shrugging that said "year 2?" or something like that. Much more specific. That post was pretty unequivocally about his decision. Stanley's post MIGHT be the same idea, but by no means is it clear that that's what he is talking about with that post.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Recent Twitter Posts

March 21: "It's been a pleasure playing with you" in response to Tre Jones tweeting "Thank You Duke"

March 24: No words, but a GIF of animated Batman stroking his chin (still image below)

amibatman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, that's an overstatement. See brevity's post below. It is literally just a GIF with Batman stroking his chin.

Jones' tweet last year was a a picture of him in uniform shrugging that said "year 2?" or something like that. Much more specific. That post was pretty unequivocally about his decision. Stanley's post MIGHT be the same idea, but by no means is it clear that that's what he is talking about with that post.
    I'm talking about on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K1nNCA..._web_copy_link. FWIW, The Chronicle noted the similarities as well.

Jones' was also an Instagram post, not a tweet. Cassius is being doubly coy by using both mediums... because we all have more time on our hands, haha

I'm talking about on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K1nNCA..._web_copy_link. FWIW, The Chronicle noted the similarities as well.

Jones' was also an Instagram post, not a tweet. Cassius is being doubly coy by using both mediums... because we all have more time on our hands, haha
    Does this qualify as "online learning?"

Again, Jones was much more explicit with the addition of "year 2?", which was more my point.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Again, Jones was much more explicit with the addition of "year 2?", which was more my point.
    Fair enough. But I think context is key. Duke fans know what Tre did, and likely recognize the similarities here.

If Cassius posted these things in a vacuum, I'd agree it means nothing. But it would be in a bit of bad taste to purposely post something so similar to what Tre did to announce his return, knowing that's what many Duke fans would think of, if he knew he was going pro. And from everything we know about Cassius he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would do that.