scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Let's appreciate what the 2020 Blue Devils accomplished

Things are (literally) changing day by day. But in case we don't get to see this team play basketball again, it's worth appreciating what they accomplished:

-They opened the season by defeating a Kansas team that ended the year the consensus No. 1 team in the country.
    -They (again) won a non-conference tournament.
    -They defeated Michigan State in East Lansing... and embarrassed them in the process.
    -They gave us a game we will all remember for the rest of our lives in that comeback at Chapel Hill. Tre's missed FT will become legendary in the sport, and we'll likely see players at all levels trying to replicate it.
    -Despite some setbacks, they finished the year tied for second place in the ACC, a mere game behind the title.
    -They swept UNC for the first time since 2015, and just the fifth time since 2004. And in doing so, we got JRob's "better than Rudy" story.
    -They gave us the ACC POY, defensive POY (the same dude!), and rookie of the year.

It breaks my heart that we may not get to see what these guys could do in tournament play. It breaks my heart that many of these Blue Devils' college careers might be over so unceremoniously. But if that is the case, there are still a ton of fantastic memories these kids gave us.

Bravo gentlemen. Stay safe, and let's hope that this isn't the end.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Things are (literally) changing day by day. But in case we don't get to see this team play basketball again, it's worth appreciating what they accomplished:

-They opened the season by defeating a Kansas team that ended the year the consensus No. 1 team in the country.
    -They defeated Michigan State in East Lansing... and embarrassed them in the process.
    -They gave us a game we will all remember for the rest of our lives in that comeback at Chapel Hill. Tre's missed FT will become legendary in the sport, and we'll likely see players at all levels trying to replicate it.
    -Despite some setbacks, they finished the year tied for second place in the ACC, a mere game behind the title.
    -They swept UNC for the first time since 2015, and just the fifth time since 2004. And in doing so, we got JRob's "better than Rudy" story.
    -They gave us the ACC POY, defensive POY (the same dude!), and rookie of the year.

It breaks my heart that we may not get to see what these guys could do in tournament play. It breaks my heart that many of these Blue Devils' college careers might be over so unceremoniously. But if that is the case, there are still a ton of fantastic memories these kids gave us.

Great season guys as usual! Lot of highs not too many lows and also as usual fell in love with my team!! Gonna miss the ones that go!!
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Great season guys as usual! Lot of highs not too many lows and also as usual fell in love with my team!! Gonna miss the ones that go!!
    Duke 2 - Cheats 0. Sums up a great season and put Tre Jones on a pedestal.

#UndefeatedinMarch

Last game being a good win counts as a great season in my book.

Yeah, it's mostly about the two wins over UNC for me. Not saying the season wasn't enjoyable -- it was -- but in terms of accomplishments, it's just hard to feel all that accomplished when we (and everyone else) were denied the opportunity to win the 3 most important banners (ACC Championship, Final Four, National Championship) and we failed at achieving the regular season one, too.

As a program, we call ourselves "banner hunters" and we won't end up hanging a banner this season. For very understandable reasons, and it's the right call, but still. It is what it is. I feel fun, I feel proud, I don't feel accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, it's mostly about the two wins over UNC for me. Not saying the season wasn't enjoyable -- it was -- but in terms of accomplishments, it's just hard to feel all that accomplished when we (and everyone else) were denied the opportunity to win the 3 most important banners (ACC Championship, Final Four, National Championship) and we failed at achieving the regular season one, too.

As a program, we call ourselves "banner hunters" and we won't end up hanging a banner this season. For very understandable reasons, and it's the right call, but still. It is what it is. I feel fun, I feel proud, I don't feel accomplished.
    Also the way this season ends is personally more preferable than a first weekend exit.

Great thread. Thanks to all our guys, especially the seniors.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Last game being a good win counts as a great season in my book.
    This year's team joins 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010 and 2015 as seasons that end with a win!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    #UndefeatedinMarch
    I really thought we had a chance to go undefeated in March a few days ago...

Struggling to process this season.
    I was convinced post Zion not to get my hopes up this year.
    The pre SFA portion of the season had me dreaming about another Duke national championship.
    The Clemson and State losses had me pessimistic.

Games against the Cheats were highlights for sure.

Lots of unanswered questions related to Jack, AOC, and Baker.

My heart hurts for Justin Robinson. What a great story.

A team full of potential that at times was frustrating.

Grateful for what Jack, Javin, and JRob gave the program.

Curious to see how end of season awards may play out for Tre and Carey.

I won’t allow myself to hold out hope that Tre wants a banner bad enough to come back.

Thankful for all Carey and Tre did.
    Full of wonder for the highlight reel that was Cassius Stanley. Love the career arc of a supposed practice player turned major contributor in Jordan Goldwire.

Optimistic that Hurt and Moore return hungry from a season cut short.

I never could have predicted how this season ended.

Impressed by the leadership Duke University took in choosing to end athletics for the season.

Let’s Go Duke!!! 🔵😈

After every home victory, one or another Blue Devil was holding the GoPro as they ran off the court and high fived the Crazies. Watching K lead them off was deeply moving for this Crustie.

Bless you Boys!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Safe to say no one on this board predicted Duke not even participating in the tournament this year.

What an odd year, all the way around. Usually, we have some healthy debate about whether finishing in round X means the season was a success or a disappointment. I'm fairly sure we all agree that the way the season ended was disappointing, but what does that mean for how we evaluate the season as a whole?

Ditto to all of the above. I really loved:
    -Tre rounding out into All-American and even POY form...gonna miss him!
    -JRob's late-season, late-career emergence. Could not have happened to a finer human being, and he may be one of the best young men to ever wear a Duke uniform
    -Cassius' dazzling dunks
    -Vernon's beast-mode consistency; was starting to see some really fancy footwork (poor man's Olajuwon type stuff) the last several games

Hats off to this team!

I guess there will be nation All America, NPOY, NDPOY announcements?

I know I'm looking at this through my Duke bias but didn't this years team play in maybe the two most memorable games of the season? SFA and UNC part 1? What other truly memorable games were there? Dayton v Kansas in Maui? Purdue beating UVA by 29?

Can someone create a video with highlights from the season to the song “ One Shining Moment”- Luther Vandross version - with the final UNC game as the championship? That would make us feel better.

... at last a team actually all healthy going into the tournament, and then... poof. ACC Finals should have been tomorrow evening... Sigh...

Thankful that our last game was a victory over the Cheats on Senior Night. Thank you to our players and coaches for a good season.

GODUKE!!